Sailor Profit Realo

rokurinpapa

[sailor Profit Realo(Realo2009)]

[brief introduction] This is my fifth pen review in English.

Sailor launched Limited Edition 95th Anniversary pen, Realo (the origin of REALO is REliance And LOcus,

see my review of the limited Realo), the first piston filler in Sailor's 95years history , in 2006. After 3years

of development, Profit Realo has been put on sale this September in 2009. I think there are 5 different

points between Realo2006 and Realo2009:1) Realo2009 is not a limited editon pen. 2)The base model of

Realo2009 is a Profit 21(1911Large),not a King Profit(King of Pens). 3) The ink tank window of Realo2009

resembles that of Aurora, not Montblanc (but we can see the windows of both Realos even when the pens

are capped.) 4) The ink tank of Realo2009 is inner part separated from the barrel. 5) The piston filling system

of Realo2009 has become tougher than that of Realo2006.

At first I thought I should have the Realo2009 a little later after the appreciation will be fixed. But I have

heard the special bottle* is attached to the only first 500 Realo2009 sets. A Realo 2009 is not a limited pen

but this bottle is limited! So many fountain lovers have gone to retailers of Sailor in a hurry. I myself knew

the first oroginal sets were sold out at Itoya in Ginza,Tokyo. So I also went to the other shop(Shosaikan) at

once looking for the set and I got it(Only 2 sets were in stock at that shop then. ). I may be forestalled by

the sales strategy of Sailor.

* There are 2 distinctions: 1) The ink of the bottle is blended specially.The color of it is named Chushu.

Chushu means the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar and in this case the words alludes

to the harvest moon because Chushu reminds people in Japan of the autumnal lunar festival, enjoying

the light of the harvest moon. So the color,a kind of blue grey, perhaps expresses the color of night

under the silver light of the harvest moon. 2) the bottle comes with specially designed reservoir suitable

for the piston filling of a Realo2009.

Many fountain pen lovers seem to be interested in this pen with the combination of Sailor nib and piston filler.

So I have decided to try telling you the details of this pen in a hurry(previously I planned to post the review of

Pilot65 next.).

1 First Impressions (9/10) The box is Prussian blue cardboard on the lid of which golden characters of "SAILOR"

was stamped. The outer box is the same color and a quadrangle hall is bored in the upside surface to make the

Golden SAILOR visible. I think it is an ordinary gift box, not special for this pen. It is comparatively small and fairly

plain but does not seem a cheep article. When I opened the box, there were the Realo2009, a special bottle of Sailor

special ink "Chushu" and papers(booklet about REALO, instruction paper and so on). The black and gold of the

Realo2009 was glittering modestly and the texture of its ink tank window is solid. It expressed itself moderately

but a bid proudly in spite of its not big size. I had the feeling of getting an article of true value.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020479.jpg

2 Appearance & Design (10/10) - The base model of Realo2009 is a Profit 21(1911Large). So the design,

the size and the materials of Realo2009 is similar to1911 large, traditional shape of a typical fountain pen,

PMMA black resin with metal parts plated by 24K gold. Of course the ink tank window is different. The window

is between 2 gold plated rings and the width of it is narrow, about 4mm. It is made of very clear resin without

any lines, seems crystal and has a feeling of high quality. The color of the nib is monotone gold. The body with

the combination of black and gold is very glossy and seems of superior quality.

upper:Profit2009 lower:Profit2006

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020480.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020481.jpg

3 Weight & Dimensions (9/10) The length of this pen capped is 141mm long, when uncapped 121mm long

and posted 155mm long. The maximum diameter of the barrel is 18mm. It weighs 21.4 g without ink. In short,

Realo2009 is almost the same as 1911Large that many people feel comfortable to write with. By the way,

1911Large weighs 21.6g. It is a wonder that the new Realo with piston filling system is slightly lighter than the

conventional 1911large with cartridge and converter system. The former has about 2times as many parts as

the latter does.

4 Nib & Performance (10/10) This pen comes with the same nib as 1911Large,that is, a 21k solid gold

monotone M nib that is plated by 24k gold (F,M and B is available.). It is a rather large nib similar to Montblanc146.

The nib is very smooth and is not so flexible but has a unique flexibility that gives the feeling that the nib is sticking

to the paper. The width of the line is a bit narrower than that of Pelikan M750 M or Waterman Leman100 M and

practical enough.

When posted, the cap is not unsteady. That is very good.

I have noticed that a spring is attached to the inner cap. So the inner cap and the grip section adhere closely to

protect the nib from dryness.

left:Realo2006 right:Realo2009

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020482.jpg

5 Filling System (9/10) This is the second piston filler in Sailor's 95years history. The filling system of

the first Realo I have has no problem so far, but I have heard the opinion that the durability of the first

Realo's filling system is not enough. The engineers of Sailor have stated that this second Realo has been

improved as best they can after 3 years of development*. The system actually seems very solid and durable.

The knob turns very smoothly with the feeling of airtightness. The clearness of ink tank window is satisfactory.

The window is narrow indeed, but we can know the time to refill ink when the level of ink comes to the half

of the window (the quantity of the ink will be 0.2ml then). But the capacity of ink is only1.0cc, about 2times

as much as Sailor converter according to Sailor HP. I myself do not care but many people may be disappointed

at this point. By the way, we can see the ink tank window even when the pen is capped. I wonder if this unique

position is meaningful practically. For example, if I have several Realos with different color ink, I can choose

one Realo with specific ink at once. But that case is not so common. In any case, I think it is very enjoyable and

looks good.

*According to the Japanese stationary magazine "Shumi no bungubako vol.14, pp21-22",4 engineers said in

the following words: They started the design of Realo2009 on a full scale after the limited Realo2006.They

wanted to make a standard version of piston filler eagerly. The fundamental structure of Realo2009 is the

same as that of Realo2006 but the size was made small. The part of cylinder was made separately apart

from the barrel to mass produce Realo2009. Various tests were done for stabilization of products. The most

important part is cylinder. If this part does not have enough strength of materials, leakage of ink will happen.

To secure the clearness of the ink tank window, they decided to use acrylic resins, but the materials are very

hard. So they gave special attention. The factor of thickness and blocking is also important to oppose the

continual pressure from the packing part. They had difficulty to secure the shielding of the packing part. The

materials of it was selected from more than 10 kinds of materials and the shape and angles of the cylinder

was adjusted to the packing part. The parts of turning knob are very complicated. The stroke and thread's

angle of the spindle rod was calculated accurately. The number of parts of Realo2009 is 28, about 2 times as

much as ordinary pens (about 15parts). Regarding the test, the secular change must be considered. They did

various tests , to be concrete, heat test, impact test, leak test considering the change of atmospheric air

pressure, torque test and so on. The last 1year was spent mainly for these tests.

with piston visible

http://i928.photobuc...lo/P1020484.jpg

with piston unvisible

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020485.jpg

http://i928.photobuc...lo/P1020487.jpg

6 Cost & Value (9/10) - The list price of a Realo2009 is 30,000yen(+1,500yen consumption tax), about $300 at

current rate. The list price of a 1911Large with cartridge and converter system is 20,000yen (+1,000yen consumption

tax). Does the piston-fill system justify the price margin of 10,000yen? I think so because making the system itself

needs more parts and cost as stated above. But from the point of the ink capacity, the price margin may be controversial.

Accordingly, the price is appropriate for persons who want to have a pen with Sailor nib and piston filling system. I

bought the pen at just the list price. But the contract price at auction or on internet will become a bit cheaper than its

list price a little later.

7 Conclusion (Final score[57]: 9.5)- When I use this pen (especially with Chushu), I feel quite satisfied. This pen is

not cheep, but I think you can have satisfaction for the cost. I recommend you to think of getting it.

Edited by rokurinpapa

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rokurinpapa

• Dr.Grace

• troglokev

• gyasko

I think I may acquire a Realo on the basis of your excellent review.

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

Thanks for another knowledgable review, Rokurinpapa-san. Are Sailor going to be selling other bottles with the insert? It would be a handy thing to have for some of my other Sailor inks. Sailor's bottle design is one that I find particularly difficult to get ink out of.

Excellent, that's a review I was waiting for since the start of the summer (next in line would be the Dialog3). Thank you for the loads of informations that you put together. I really enjoyed reading.

One thing I don't like much of the pen is the "captive" piston filler. I wonder why they didn't stick to a real piston using the barrel walls as ink tank. The pen has a small ink capacity, considering is a piston filler.

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Thanks for the review. For me, seeing it next to the original Realo, makes me want the original more!

I would love to see the ink though - how about a writing sample?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I'll chime in along with the others in the praising choir - thanks for a thorough review of a pen I've been curious of! Great with comparison photos!

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

great review! Thank you very much for it. I think a lot of people have been waiting for the release of this pen. It looks like it will be a very popular pen Personally, i still prefer my original Realo95 but i am sure that the Realo 2009 will be a great hit!

NIkolaos

[sailor Profit Realo(Realo2009)]

[brief introduction] This is my fifth pen review in English.

Sailor launched Limited Edition 95th Anniversary pen, Realo (the origin of REALO is REliance And LOcus,

see my review of the limited Realo), the first piston filler in Sailor's 95years history , in 2006. After 3years

of development, Profit Realo has been put on sale this September in 2009. I think there are 5 different

points between Realo2006 and Realo2009:1) Realo2009 is not a limited editon pen. 2)The base model of

Realo2009 is a Profit 21(1911Large),not a King Profit(King of Pens). 3) The ink tank window of Realo2009

resembles that of Aurora, not Montblanc (but we can see the windows of both Realos even when the pens

are capped.) 4) The ink tank of Realo2009 is inner part separated from the barrel. 5) The piston filling system

of Realo2009 has become tougher than that of Realo2006.

At first I thought I should have the Realo2009 a little later after the appreciation will be fixed. But I have

heard the special bottle* is attached to the only first 500 Realo2009 sets. A Realo 2009 is not a limited pen

but this bottle is limited! So many fountain lovers have gone to retailers of Sailor in a hurry. I myself knew

the first oroginal sets were sold out at Itoya in Ginza,Tokyo. So I also went to the other shop(Shosaikan) at

once looking for the set and I got it(Only 2 sets were in stock at that shop then. ). I may be forestalled by

the sales strategy of Sailor.

* There are 2 distinctions: 1) The ink of the bottle is blended specially.The color of it is named Chushu.

Chushu means the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar and in this case the words alludes

to the harvest moon because Chushu reminds people in Japan of the autumnal lunar festival, enjoying

the light of the harvest moon. So the color,a kind of blue grey, perhaps expresses the color of night

under the silver light of the harvest moon. 2) the bottle comes with specially designed reservoir suitable

for the piston filling of a Realo2009.

Many fountain pen lovers seem to be interested in this pen with the combination of Sailor nib and piston filler.

So I have decided to try telling you the details of this pen in a hurry(previously I planned to post the review of

Pilot65 next.).

1 First Impressions (9/10) –The box is Prussian blue cardboard on the lid of which golden characters of "SAILOR"

was stamped. The outer box is the same color and a quadrangle hall is bored in the upside surface to make the

Golden SAILOR visible. I think it is an ordinary gift box, not special for this pen. It is comparatively small and fairly

plain but does not seem a cheep article. When I opened the box, there were the Realo2009, a special bottle of Sailor

special ink "Chushu" and papers(booklet about REALO, instruction paper and so on). The black and gold of the

Realo2009 was glittering modestly and the texture of its ink tank window is solid. It expressed itself moderately

but a bid proudly in spite of its not big size. I had the feeling of getting an article of true value.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020479.jpg

2 Appearance & Design (10/10) - The base model of Realo2009 is a Profit 21(1911Large). So the design,

the size and the materials of Realo2009 is similar to1911 large, traditional shape of a typical fountain pen,

PMMA black resin with metal parts plated by 24K gold. Of course the ink tank window is different. The window

is between 2 gold plated rings and the width of it is narrow, about 4mm. It is made of very clear resin without

any lines, seems crystal and has a feeling of high quality. The color of the nib is monotone gold. The body with

the combination of black and gold is very glossy and seems of superior quality.

upper:Profit2009 lower:Profit2006

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020480.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020481.jpg

3 Weight & Dimensions (9/10) – The length of this pen capped is 141mm long, when uncapped 121mm long

and posted 155mm long. The maximum diameter of the barrel is 18mm. It weighs 21.4 g without ink. In short,

Realo2009 is almost the same as 1911Large that many people feel comfortable to write with. By the way,

1911Large weighs 21.6g. It is a wonder that the new Realo with piston filling system is slightly lighter than the

conventional 1911large with cartridge and converter system. The former has about 2times as many parts as

the latter does.

4 Nib & Performance (10/10) – This pen comes with the same nib as 1911Large,that is, a 21k solid gold

monotone M nib that is plated by 24k gold (F,M and B is available.). It is a rather large nib similar to Montblanc146.

The nib is very smooth and is not so flexible but has a unique flexibility that gives the feeling that the nib is sticking

to the paper. The width of the line is a bit narrower than that of Pelikan M750 M or Waterman Leman100 M and

practical enough.

When posted, the cap is not unsteady. That is very good.

I have noticed that a spring is attached to the inner cap. So the inner cap and the grip section adhere closely to

protect the nib from dryness.

left:Realo2006 right:Realo2009

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020482.jpg

5 Filling System (9/10) – This is the second piston filler in Sailor's 95years history. The filling system of

the first Realo I have has no problem so far, but I have heard the opinion that the durability of the first

Realo's filling system is not enough. The engineers of Sailor have stated that this second Realo has been

improved as best they can after 3 years of development*. The system actually seems very solid and durable.

The knob turns very smoothly with the feeling of airtightness. The clearness of ink tank window is satisfactory.

The window is narrow indeed, but we can know the time to refill ink when the level of ink comes to the half

of the window (the quantity of the ink will be 0.2ml then). But the capacity of ink is only1.0cc, about 2times

as much as Sailor converter according to Sailor HP. I myself do not care but many people may be disappointed

at this point. By the way, we can see the ink tank window even when the pen is capped. I wonder if this unique

position is meaningful practically. For example, if I have several Realos with different color ink, I can choose

one Realo with specific ink at once. But that case is not so common. In any case, I think it is very enjoyable and

looks good.

*According to the Japanese stationary magazine "Shumi no bungubako vol.14, pp21-22",4 engineers said in

the following words: They started the design of Realo2009 on a full scale after the limited Realo2006.They

wanted to make a standard version of piston filler eagerly. The fundamental structure of Realo2009 is the

same as that of Realo2006 but the size was made small. The part of cylinder was made separately apart

from the barrel to mass produce Realo2009. Various tests were done for stabilization of products. The most

important part is cylinder. If this part does not have enough strength of materials, leakage of ink will happen.

To secure the clearness of the ink tank window, they decided to use acrylic resins, but the materials are very

hard. So they gave special attention. The factor of thickness and blocking is also important to oppose the

continual pressure from the packing part. They had difficulty to secure the shielding of the packing part. The

materials of it was selected from more than 10 kinds of materials and the shape and angles of the cylinder

was adjusted to the packing part. The parts of turning knob are very complicated. The stroke and thread's

angle of the spindle rod was calculated accurately. The number of parts of Realo2009 is 28, about 2 times as

much as ordinary pens (about 15parts). Regarding the test, the secular change must be considered. They did

various tests , to be concrete, heat test, impact test, leak test considering the change of atmospheric air

pressure, torque test and so on. The last 1year was spent mainly for these tests.

with piston visible

http://i928.photobuc...lo/P1020484.jpg

with piston unvisible

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020485.jpg

http://i928.photobuc...lo/P1020487.jpg

6 Cost & Value (9/10) - The list price of a Realo2009 is 30,000yen(+1,500yen consumption tax), about $300 at

current rate. The list price of a 1911Large with cartridge and converter system is 20,000yen (+1,000yen consumption

tax). Does the piston-fill system justify the price margin of 10,000yen? I think so because making the system itself

needs more parts and cost as stated above. But from the point of the ink capacity, the price margin may be controversial.

Accordingly, the price is appropriate for persons who want to have a pen with Sailor nib and piston filling system. I

bought the pen at just the list price. But the contract price at auction or on internet will become a bit cheaper than its

list price a little later.

7 Conclusion (Final score[57]: 9.5)- When I use this pen (especially with Chushu), I feel quite satisfied. This pen is

not cheep, but I think you can have satisfaction for the cost. I recommend you to think of getting it.

many thanks

definitely not an in-built/internal piston?

Thanks very much for your thorough review!

There seems to be some disagreement from various sources, both about the true ink capacity of the new Realo and that of the standard Sailor converter. Would you be able to measure these for us?

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Thanks, Rokurinpapa! Your reviews are tremendously informative about the model lineups of the major Japanese pen-manufacturers. Having a comparative review of the Realo 2006 LE and the Realo 2009 is truly valuable!!

Would you happen to have any information about whether Sailor plans to bring out a Pro Gear version of the Realo 2009?

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

Fantastic review and insights on this interesting pen. I can see that there will be many comparisons to MB 146. However, it is a completely different pen that only shares the torpedo shape and some other design elements. I think Sailor will do very well with this pen and sorry that I missed out on the 2006 Realo! Thank you.

Thanks for another knowledgable review, Rokurinpapa-san. Are Sailor going to be selling other bottles with the insert? It would be a handy thing to have for some of my other Sailor inks. Sailor's bottle design is one that I find particularly difficult to get ink out of.

The ink reservoir is very practical for 1911 indeed. The depth of it is shallow,so the grip section remains clean ,designed for 1911.

I am sorry ,I do not know the plan of Sailor. But I also hope the sale of the bottle with this reservoir.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020488.jpg

rokurinpapa

I have seen one and my favorite penshop owner told me that the ink capacity of the new realo is smaller than the capacity of a 146 or of a m800.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for the review. For me, seeing it next to the original Realo, makes me want the original more!

I would love to see the ink though - how about a writing sample?

I have tried a sample. I am sorry for its simplicity and not good picture.

rokuripapa

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Profit%20Realo/P1020490-1.jpg

Edited by rokurinpapa

A good review. I'm not so impressed by the pen, though. As several posters have noted, the earlier version seems more alluring. But there's more...

Sailor has dong a lot of testing and struggled to overcome issues that might result in maintenance or longevity problems. They did a year of testing. That is commendable.

However, they are fielding a pen with no real-life track record. The Pelikan Sovereign M600 (about the Rialto's size?) has a piston fill mechanism produced and backed by a company with decades of successful integrated piston-fill production. You just don't read much about leaking with Pelikan pens -- even very old Pelikan pens.

I see no edge for the Sailor in it's nib. Having used both Sailor and Pelikan pens, I'd class both of the nibs as excellent with my own preference being the wetter and somewhat more expressive Pelikan. True, the Sailor nib content is almost pure gold plated with actual pure gold, but I'm planning write with the pen, not melt down the nib. The 18K Pelikan nib is gold enough for me and probably stronger in day-to-day performance with it's alloy content than Sailor's will be with it's gold on gold approach.

So, other than the novelty of owning a Sailor-made piston pen, why would I pay more for a Rialto? The Rialto lists for $300 & Pam Braun's listed price for a Pelikan Sovereign 800 (a larger pen with greater ink capacity) is $299.

Edited by PatientType

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to pull together the details of the effort and quality of materials that make up the new Realo. I think information from engineers, project managers, is particularly interesting because you learn how the specifications were arrived at, why it is 1 cc capacity and other specific choices which resulted from these decisions. Plus, it differentiates the product from others and opens the door for, possibly, additional product approaches in the future.

I recently purchased a Realo, but, unfortunately, it was not accompanied by the chushu ink: Is it possible that this ink will go on sale as a separate item?

I certainly second your concluding recommendation to buy this pen. I look forward to using mine for a long time because I think it is a pleasure to use it.

Best Regards,

Andy

Thanks for the review- very interesting and appreciated. I ordered a 09 Realo as well ($266 total from ebay), and look forward to a pro gear version/large size KOP versions.

So, other than the novelty of owning a Sailor-made piston pen, why would I pay more for a Rialto? The Rialto lists for $300 & Pam Braun's listed price for a Pelikan Sovereign 800 (a larger pen with greater ink capacity) is $299.

Also, fyi PatientType- Last time I checked Pam was selling the Realo for $265+SH.

Now I have confirmed hearing from a retailer that Sailor has shifted their jentle ink from present bottle to this bottle with the ink reservoir successively.

rokurinpapa