The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

(drum roll) the salad spinner centrifuge

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2018 - 22:52

How does it do on arugula?

I'm not sure, it sort of disappears after a few seconds...

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Sponsored Content

#62 _InkyFingers

_InkyFingers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:35

I have three girls...one with a twirlimg baton, one with a nunchaku baton, and the other with a staff. Each is very skilled at their skills.

I have installed multiple pen slots in each stick on both ends. At the end of their practice, i checked to see if any ink is left behind in each pen. She who did not fully empty their pen, needed to practice more...

Each day, I can completely dry about 10 pens. That is my maximum.

#63 Scarfman

Scarfman

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2018 - 22:33

Ive made my own pen centrifuge with some twenty-four inch bolt croppers, an old fan and a pair of socks which definitely werent a Christmas gift, I promise. Surprisingly, it does the trick. More surprisingly, without killing anybody.

#64 readytotalk

readytotalk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:17

Great idea,
I usually remove the rest of the water from the pen, shaking it like a mercury thermometer (the section is wrapped with a paper napkin, оf course).

Regards, Alexey

#65 djmaher

djmaher

One who wanders

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2019 - 15:35

This is one of those posts that you just can't unsee.

EVERY time I'm at a store, and see a salad spinner, I think of it again.

Just yesterday, I was at Marshalls, and saw a small spinner, about half the size of the "standard" model, made by Sharper Image.  It was on clearance, and I ALMOST bought it.  I don't know why.  Almost like a compulsion. :yikes: .

I wonder if I'm suffering from some kind of Post Traumatic Salad Spinner Stress.  I swear, this thing would probably spin a couple of salad leaves, max..  Perfect size for a fountain pen, though.

Maybe I'll go back there today, and see if it's still there......

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

#66 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 17:41

This is one of those posts that you just can't unsee.

EVERY time I'm at a store, and see a salad spinner, I think of it again.

Just yesterday, I was at Marshalls, and saw a small spinner, about half the size of the "standard" model, made by Sharper Image.  It was on clearance, and I ALMOST bought it.  I don't know why.  Almost like a compulsion. :yikes: .

I wonder if I'm suffering from some kind of Post Traumatic Salad Spinner Stress.  I swear, this thing would probably spin a couple of salad leaves, max..  Perfect size for a fountain pen, though.

Maybe I'll go back there today, and see if it's still there......

I still have and use the one at the beginning of this thread.  I have a motorized one that I made that is a copy of the one Parker sold, but the salad spinner holds the big pens that can't fit the motorized unit's trumpet.  Go back - you'll be happy you made the centrifuge.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#67 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2019 - 00:06

centandpen.jpg

Hi Ron

I'm just re-visiting this after a recent pen change-over and cleaning session.

Given that the nib is unsupported and pressing against the basket during the spin, is there absolutely no risk of nib damage, particularly to fine and flexible nibs?

Thanks

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

#68 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 00:15

Hi Ron

I'm just re-visiting this after a recent pen change-over and cleaning session.

Given that the nib is unsupported and pressing against the basket during the spin, is there absolutely no risk of nib damage, particularly to fine and flexible nibs?

Thanks

I'm not Ron, and I don't even play a Ron on TV, but I'm going to jump in: the tube holding the pen is cut from a funnel, so it gradually tapers to the outside. The inner sides of the tube, as they narrow, grip the pen around the section and prevent it from going any further. The tip of the nib is prevented from touching anything because it is held back from the (small, outer) opening of the funnel tube (and away from the side of the spinner, as well). That is the beauty of the narrowing funnel: it will fit most any pen, though I'm certain some very petite or slim pens would not be taking a ride in this particular setup. It would be quite easy to have two or three of these holders mounted, with varying inner diameters/tapers.

Ron can jump in and correct me if I'm guessing wrong.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#69 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 00:29

Jon is right, but even so, the nib won't be damaged pressing against the plastic of the basket.

Note that you always want something solid at the end of the pen holder.  In this one I positioned the holder against a wide rib, in V 2.0 I wove a piece of acetate through the ribs as a barrier, and glued it in place.   If the nib slipped through the slits in the basket and scraped the bowl as the basket rotated, you could have a problem, but not with the nib just pressing against the basket   You don't get the centrifuge spinning all that fast!  The force is I suspect, less than that used by many people when they put nib to paper.  

FWIW, I'm still using the centrifuge shown at the start of the thread in the shop for larger pens, and V 2.0 travels with me to shows.  I've never had any problems, and they get used quite a bit.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#70 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:39

I'm not Ron, and I don't even play a Ron on TV, but I'm going to jump in: the tube holding the pen is cut from a funnel, so it gradually tapers to the outside. The inner sides of the tube, as they narrow, grip the pen around the section and prevent it from going any further. The tip of the nib is prevented from touching anything because it is held back from the (small, outer) opening of the funnel tube (and away from the side of the spinner, as well). That is the beauty of the narrowing funnel: it will fit most any pen, though I'm certain some very petite or slim pens would not be taking a ride in this particular setup. It would be quite easy to have two or three of these holders mounted, with varying inner diameters/tapers.

Ron can jump in and correct me if I'm guessing wrong.

Thanks Jon.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

#71 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:40

Jon is right, but even so, the nib won't be damaged pressing against the plastic of the basket.

Note that you always want something solid at the end of the pen holder.  In this one I positioned the holder against a wide rib, in V 2.0 I wove a piece of acetate through the ribs as a barrier, and glued it in place.   If the nib slipped through the slits in the basket and scraped the bowl as the basket rotated, you could have a problem, but not with the nib just pressing against the basket   You don't get the centrifuge spinning all that fast!  The force is I suspect, less than that used by many people when they put nib to paper.  

FWIW, I'm still using the centrifuge shown at the start of the thread in the shop for larger pens, and V 2.0 travels with me to shows.  I've never had any problems, and they get used quite a bit.

Thanks Ron. The next salad spinner I see in a goodwill will get snapped up!

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Sponsored Content

|