Sheaffer Nib Sizes - 1970 Standard

Ron Z

Sheaffer used a dial indicator nib gauge for measuring nib sizes. The nib was inserted into the gauge, and the size read off of the dial. A given size being nibs that fell within a given range. What is listed below were the ranges given on a gauge that I saw in the Sheaffer service center prior to being closed in March 2008.

Measurements are in thousandths of an inch. MM in bold type.

XXF = 0.010 - 0.013 = 0.254mm - 0.33mm
XF = 0.013 - 0.018 = 0.33mm -0.46mm
F = 0.018 - 0.025 = 0.46mm - 0.63mm
M = 0.025 - 0.031 = 0.63mm - 0.79mm
Broad* = 0.031 - 0.050 = 0.79mm - 1.27mm
Stub = 0.038 - 0.050 = 0.97mm - 1.27mm

*there was some overlap on the gauge. The broad nib is finer than the stub nib at the low end of its range, while the high ends match.

updated 5/16/19 to show conversion to metric units. Sheaffer's original dimensions were in thousandths of an inch, but most nib sizes today are graded in mm, so this makes comparison to current standards easier.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Bo Bo Olson

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very interesting. The variation between sizes as normal, is larger than I expected.

Was Sheaffer and Parker about the same width in nib size?

I don't seem to hear of any wars about it, over on General.

There are verbal wars going today, as to what is medium or fine or EF; involving one company that is a touch wider than "normal" (That uses dry inks) and another that is a bit narrower than "normal"(That uses wet inks). There for each meet in the middle.

Was/is Sheaffer inks, wet, dry or in the middle?

The real problem is not one company is larger or narrower than the other but the users are using the wrong inks and end up comparing cherries to pineapples.

Both have their place on a cocktail stick in a proper drink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The information given here is for reference only.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.