The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Was the Parker 45 the first cartridge pen?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Raymond

Raymond

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 21:27

Just curious if the Parker 45 was the first cartidge pen.

Was it the first cartridge/converter fill pen of any brand. Anyone?

Sponsored Content

#2 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 21:44

Well, there was the Eagle glass-cartridge pen, circa 1900, and the John Hancock, which used a copper cartridge system. David Nishimura has a good rundown on the history of the early cartridge pens at vintagepens.com. Early Cartridge Pens

And for an ad for a John Hancock pen, see FP Ads in the Tech: Part IV The roaring twenties, (1920-1929)

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#3 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2006 - 22:14

The first pen to use a plastic cartridge (that is, the first modern cartridge pen) was the Aurora DuoCart, followed shortly thereafter by the Waterman CF.
The 45 came later.
Check out my modest effort on this month's The PENnant, for more information about the birth of the first modern cartridge pen.

#4 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 22:56

I was hoping you would chime in there, Giovanni. I thought you had the first "Modern" cartridge.

But what about question #2 - who had the first cartridge/converter.

John

Edited by Johnny Appleseed, 30 June 2006 - 22:56.

So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#5 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2006 - 23:11

I was hoping you would chime in there, Giovanni. I thought you had the first "Modern" cartridge.

John

Well, you may be surprised.. the first converter pen came one year before the first plastic cartridge pen!
The converter pen was called the D.P.2 (which stood for Diplomatic Patented Pen). And, indeed, it was patented. The inventor, Mr. Del Piero from Naples, did design a fine pen and was granted five separate petents for its design. The pen looked like a cross between a Parker 51 and an Aurora 88 and it came complete with two piston-type plastic converters. It was made for only three years and it is today a rare collectible. I have one of these pens in my collection.

#6 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2006 - 23:15

John

You may also be thinking about the LUS Atomica, a very successful low cost cartridge pen that was an almost contemporary of the Aurora DuoCart. Research on the patents (Viv did a wonderful study of it) revealed that Aurora was first, followed by Waterman and LUS.
The LUS atomica is featured on my website www.lusatomica.com
The LUS Atomica pen story

#7 Raymond

Raymond

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:17

Thanks Guys for enlightening.

Sponsored Content

|