Laban Mento

dizzypen

This is part of a post I just put up on my brand spanking new blog. Please visit there to see the full post with more pictures. I've also uploaded tons of other reviews, so feel free to look at those and comment at will :).

Well, in keeping with my Autumn theme I thought I'd review my Laban Mento (Medium) in Autumn Flake. I hope you all find this useful.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2569/3975383526_edba75cb27_m.jpg

First Impressions

Literally, my first impression of this pen was ooooooOOOOOOOooooooo! This pen is huge, huge I say... and shiny. After I settled down from the shock of it all, I took a closer look at it.

Appearance

This pen is very pleasing to the eye. It's torpedo shape is appealing, but, the trim is a bit cheap looking. The clip is simple and straight with a 'L'; at the top. The cap band is equally simple with 'Laban' written across it.

The acrylic used for this pen is very nice. It's striking, provides great depth of color, and is highly polished. I have the Autumn Flake pattern. The background is an iridescent golden caramel color flaked with bits of red and black.

Design/Size/Weight

The design is simple and flows well. As I mentioned above, the pen is a torpedo or cigar shape. This makes it quite comfortable in the hand. I normally prefer pens with a squarer feel to them, but I like this style very much. [Note: Other reviews mention an issue with the nib drying out because the cap is not air tight. I received this pen second hand, and the previous owner had already sealed the cap using the nail polish method described else where. I'm not having any issues with the nib drying out.]

The size is really what sets with pen apart. The only thing I can compare it to is a Mont Blanc 149. Several weeks ago I was at a pen store and got a chance to see and hold a Mont Blanc Diplomat. That is indeed a massive pen. The Laban feels nearly as large and perhaps a bit longer. This pen is about 6" capped and nearly 6 3/4" with the cap posted. The nib is large at about 7/8", but not as large as the MB nib. I have the diameter of the barrel at around 5/8" at its widest point. The large size of this pen makes it very comfortable to hold and write with for long periods of time.

This pen is not very heavy. I have the weight at just about 35 grams (including converter and ink). It is very comfortable to hold.

Nib

My pen has a fine steel nib. The line width is actually a bit finer than a western fine. With nibs this fine (and in pens this inexpensive) you kind of expect the nib to be a bit scratchy. Well, it isn't toothy or scratchy, but it does give a bit of feedback while writing. I prefer a little feedback, but this is just a bit too much for my liking. It gets the job done, but I'd prefer something a touch smoother.

I'm considering getting a medium nib for it. I have a hunch that a the Medium would be smooth like I like it. Reviews elsewhere have commented on the smoothness of the medium. I believe Todd at isellpens sells the nibs separately.

Filling System

Well... it's a cartridge/converter system. It works just as it's supposed to, but this is not my favorite filling system. One benefit is that it takes regular international cartridges instead of some obscure proprietary cartridges. More than likely I will just use the supplied converter.

This pen would make a great ED if it wasn't for that small hole at the end of the barrel and the metal threads. I suppose if you find a way to plug the hole you could use it that way, but I wouldn't bother.

Cost and Value

You can find these new online for around $70. I got this one from a fellow FPN member at about half that price. At $35 this pen is an excellent value for the money. You get a pleasing design with several beautiful acrylics to choose from. In addition, you get a pen that is quite huge and comfortable to hold.

Conclusion (8/10)

All in all, I'm happy with this pen and can definitely see it getting lots of use. I'd definitely recommend this pen to anyone who is looking for a huge pen at a modest price tag; however, I would not pay over $50 for this pen unless it is really calling your name.

No Affil.

ETA: sorry something went wrong with the post, but it's fixed now.

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dizzypen

• Ondina

• enricof

• Bearcat

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the same pen, and like it very much.

Had a tendency to dry if unused until I managed to close the hole in the cap (under the clip) with a bit of candle wax.

After that, it is a very nice writer (I like large, unposted pens).

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Nice review. Thanks for posting.

You are right on the price....good deal at $35.00. The "retail" of $70.00 is way high for a pen of this level of quality.

--Doc

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

dizzypen,

Thanks for the write up for the Laban Mento. I appreciate your comments.

I'm a bit curious. You stated at the end that you would not pay more than $50 for the Mento. My question is why? I can understand the rush you're feeling from landing a terrific deal on the price. According your remarks the Mento feels comfortable in your hand and excellent for long writing periods. Even if you paid retail and get a customize nib to your liking, the overall price would be less than a Montblanc fountain pen noted from your review.

I'm waiting for the arrival of my Laban Mento, so I can toss in my two cents.

Cheers,

Signum

Edited by Signum1

Nice review - thanks very much. The Mento is an important pen for me, as my (original) Mento was the very pen that got me back into fountain pens. I'd seen it on Ebay and read about it, and just loved the size and shape and went on and bought one. I changed the medium nib to a broad bought from Isellpens and then got Oxonian to adjust it for me. I later sold the pen (but not the nib) as I'd picked up a nicer colour pen on Ebay for £20 - Pumpkin Seed, I think. I don't use it very often, but I can't bring myself to sell it......

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

dizzypen,

Thanks for the write up for the Laban Mento. I appreciate your comments.

I'm a bit curious. You stated at the end that you would not pay more than $50 for the Mento. My question is why? I can understand the rush you're feeling from landing a terrific deal on the price. According your remarks the Mento feels comfortable in your hand and excellent for long writing periods. Even if you paid retail and get a customize nib to your liking, the overall price would be less than a Montblanc fountain pen noted from your review.

I'm waiting for the arrival of my Laban Mento, so I can toss in my two cents.

Cheers,

Signum

Hey Signum,

Basically, it feels like a $50 pen. I know this is really objective stuff, but that's how I can explain it.

The reason I would not pay more than $50 for it is because I honestly don't think it is worth it. While the acrylic is nice the trim is cheap. There is also that issue with the cap that you will have to attend to. The most important thing is the nib. This is where things really matter. The nib on the Mento is not a high quality nib. While I can use it without getting really irritated it could use some adjusting by a professional. Now the other nib sizes might be ok, but this one needs some work.

Having said that, if you want to put the work in to fix the cap and send the nib off for some work ($20-$50) on top of paying $70 for the pen than by all means go right ahead. At the end of the day a pen is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Personally, I can think of better ways to spend $90-$120.

I hope that helps.

ETA: I forgot one other thing. It matters what your pen budget looks like. My budgets tend to be on the low end because I'm a student. This means that spending $100 on a pen is a big deal that I really have to consider. There are plenty of people here who consider $100 pens to be low end or nothing to spend for a good pen. My standards for a $100 pen are high.

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

This review made me put down my pelikan and pick up my mento for the first time in over a month

I forgot how great this pen looks capped and held in between my fingers, I'm holing it right now as I'm typing.

Maybe I'll ink it up for school tomorrow

Thanks for the review.

I like the Mento so much I have several. The size is a perfect fit for my hand and I think they are nicely balanced. I have both steel and gold nibs, and all of them have been working fine with no issues. I think they are a good value, even with the gold nibs.