The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Nibs - adventures #1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:21

Interesting nibs is one of the main attractions for me in this hobby. I do not care much for rare variants etc. So here is one of my recent finds. A (plastic? Brian?) Relief 2-L Esterbrook made in England. I believe the most common (and affordable) variant of the older english Esterbrooks. It carries an awesome wide semiflex relief nib (15 degrees oblique) . These are essentially stubs with an angle so that the direction of the thinest and thickest stroke is 15 degrees from horizontal. I think the flex stubs of the early 20th century offer simply a wonderful writing experience. Enjoy:
Posted Image
Another one that I have is a #5 Wahl Tempoint (non-oblique semiflex stub), which I will post and comment on another post.

Edited by antoniosz, 19 March 2007 - 00:25.

Sponsored Content

#2 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:17

Thanks for posting the photo, Antonios...There is nothing like seeing the way a pen writes! One of my very favourite nibs is a steel-nibbed Esterbrook 2314M Medium Stub (Relief Medium Stub)...
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#3 Elaine

Elaine

Museum Piece

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 14:20

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

#4 Leslie J.

Leslie J.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2005 - 15:51

I love your pics Antonios, always so detailed with writing samples too. I need to investigate the Esterbrook nibs more. I know I couldn't reproduce your beautiful writing, but these are cool pens. B)
Never lie to your dog.

#5 Keith with a capital K

Keith with a capital K

Illigitemi Non Carborundum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 18:12

Leslie - There is no such thing as "never" and although it is nigh impossible to replicate anyone else's writing I believe that most people have the potential to create some beautiful written works with their own style.

Remember that this advice comes from someone who used to write like an epileptic monkey on speed.

B)
Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/
Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

#6 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2005 - 18:18

Antonios!! SHHHH!!! SHHHH!!!! Don't let out our little secret!! :)

Those relief nibs are great, they come in any array of B, B, BBB, etc. Looks like yours is indeed plastic, although the inner cap and top are most likely HR. Solid Pens, Great nibs, even variants in marbled colors. What's not to like?? ;) I've been using a BCHR 2-L for the past few weeks. Starts first time, every time, even after not being used for a week.

Thanks for the pic, very nice!

Best-
Brian
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Sponsored Content

|