Parker discontinuing 100 series?

Sparky

I recently went to a pen store to look at the Parker 100 series. I was interested in finding a cobalt black with chrome trim. The pen store owner told me that Parker is discontinuing that and he can no longer get a hold of the Parker cobalt black. Has anyone heard of that? I checked Parkers website and saw that it is still listed, but I am not sure.

He indicated that they are planning to come out with a "new line" to replace the 100?

Has anyone heard anything similar?

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RLTodd

• kissing

• Sidney

• Sparky

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I've heard anything about Parker discontinuing the 100. They may discontinue the Cobalt Black version some day, but then again, I don't have any "inside" connections with Parker.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

This gets complex as manufacturing is a lot different than it was fifty years ago. Discontinued can mean anything from the last order to subcontractors, the last of the parts out of stock, to the last units out of the warehouse. Sometimes discontinued only applies to your market, it gets tricky. I checked the internet merchants and the unit is still listed as available. Of course since people are still finding NOS P"51"s and Snorkles, that doesn't mean much either.

YMMV

I am toying with buying a 100 and I was told by a pen dealer in Bristol that Parker are discontinuing the 100 Pencil.

Does not surprise me really as for most people the main thing that gets used is the FP and then maybe a ballpoint or a rollerball. Just do a quick trawl around the Web and see how many sets you can find with a used FP and unused mint Pencil.

In fact I am guilty of this, my original "51" set has FP, Ballpoint and Pencil, the pencil is SO unused that it still has the chalk marks, original eraser and leads!

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

its still listed in the Parker website

Doesnt that mean its still being made?

No. One thing you learn after you follow this behavior for a while is that doesn't mean anything. Since the manufacture wants to sell the last one in the pipeline, and keep his merchants happy with that sale, the best practice is to NEVER announce that a product or line is discontinued.

YMMV

For whatever this is worth, I just became an authorized Parker and Waterman dealer. Today, I placed my first order with Sanford, the company that handles sales for both brands in the U.S. (I don't know if they actually own them, though). Although I didn't buy any 100s this go-round, they are still available and listed on Sanford's current price sheet to dealers.

If you absolutely must have one, let me know and I can probably special order one for you.

James Partridge

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

If you check out the *new* updated Parker website, it appears as though Parker is NOT discontinuing the 100, but making it bigger and treating it like the equivalent of the "51"

Parker100 becomes the face of Parker for the 21st Century - With a combination of avant-garde looks and an affectionate reinterpretation of the unique styling of its illustrious predecessor, the '51'

http://www.parkerpen.com/en/discovery/range/iconic/parker100

It seems that they've discontinued a few of the color combinations (probably the least sold) which is good IMO.

I rather like mine (bronze) and SWMBO likes her gold/white. It'd be a pity to see them discontinued.

I did hear some people saying they had staining problems on the white ??

Be no harm if they moved one those little nubs (sic) out of the way of my right thumb :angry:

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

They are listed on Parker's newly updated web site, so I don't think they are being discontinued anytime soon.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President