The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Graf Von Faber-castell Classic Pernambuco

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:59

Posted Image

I just recieved this pen after a long wait, I won it on eBay for around $200.00. I must say, I am very impressed with the overall quality of the pen. The platinum plating is flawless and uninterrupted, the pernambuco wood has a satiny feel, the screw threads look very durable and solid, the cap screws on securely, and the nib is smooth as butter.

Posted Image

As this is an NOS pen, it was shipped in the old-style Graf von Faber Castell wooden box. Inside was a velvet carrying pouch which doubles as a cleaning cloth (I'll get to that later), a small instruction manual, and a cardboard insert. I'm displeased with the cardboard insert, it feels cheap and flimsy, and doesn't go well with the rest of the case.

Posted Image

To be honest, the pen was a little smaller than I expected - the G.V.F.C glamour shots of the Classic series make them look quite large. The size isn't dissapointing, however, and fits quite well in my hands, as well as my pocket.
The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

Sponsored Content

#2 Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,147 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:00

Posted Image

Due to the end cap, I thought this was a piston-fill pen. Imagine my surprise when I attempted to turn it and nothing happened! The converter is very high-quality, however, but it may be stuck in the pen as I can't seem to pull it out.

Posted Image

The converter is glass (unlike the newer style G.V.F.C converters) and turns smoothly and reliably.

Posted Image

The cap has a very nice clip, which looks almost like a door handle on a car of a bygone style. It's spring loaded with a lot of force, so its integrity won't be compromised with use. The end of the cap terminates in a stylish, flaring bell, with a circular space on the top for engraving.
The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

#3 Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,147 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:01

Posted Image

The nib is truly excellent. It's very smooth, doesn't skip one bit, and is a good size for my writing style. It doesn't flex, but that suits me just fine. There's a small problem with nib creep, as you can probably see in the photo, but it's not such a big deal.

Posted Image

The pen balances excellently in the hand, and the cool platinum-plated brass metal doesn't slip when gripped, and the pernambuco wood gives a sensation to the hands that only wood can give.

There was a little tarnishing on the faux-piston knob, but that cleared up easily when I used the velvet pouch as a cleaning cloth.

Posted Image

Surprisingly, it's the exact same length as my Lamy Safari, Studio, and Accent. Perhaps there's a standard "optimal" size in Europe?

Thanks for reading.

-Unknown

#4 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

Unashamed Montblanc Fanboy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:51

Like most Graf pens, I think this one is great! I also think it is unfortunate that the filler is only a converter, but I believe you can remove it to insert a cartridge. The only pens made my Graf von Faber Castell that are piston fillers are those from the Pen of the Year collection.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

#5 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2009 - 13:33

this had long been one of my grail pens, and i was fortunate to find one on ebay a couple of years ago (almost good as new but with some damage to the nib, since replaced), for the same price you got yours. it's a gorgeous piece of work. here's mine:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Check out my blog and my pens

#6 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 22:14

The conv screws out. They are nice pens and I fairly sure the nibs are Pelikan.
Thanks

#7 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,645 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 22:38

I recently acquired one of these in grenadilla. They're a very nice pen, well-sized, and nicely made. I like the sprung clip and the milling on the blind cap: neat little touches.

Posted Image

#8 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

Unashamed Montblanc Fanboy

• Member - Gold

• 2,287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:18

The conv screws out. They are nice pens and I fairly sure the nibs are Pelikan.
Thanks

Yes, I think they both use Bock nibs. I read it somewhere else on the forum...

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

#9 dboulonnais

dboulonnais

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2010 - 14:07

Hi
It really a very nice pen

I've bought one Pernambouc and a very good deal on a Silver sterling

Here are my Graf

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 22:25

nice pics
Cogito ergo sum

#11 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2010 - 00:40

I couldn't agree more. Fantastic pens.

The best I've used for office and accounting purposes. A very precise instrument in the hand.

I prefer the fine point.

Inked

#12 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2010 - 00:43

Faber-Castell is my favourite pen company.
I have the matching ballpoint pen. I will probably get the fountain pen soon.

Matt

#13 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:36

like i said above, i found one of these a few years ago for a very reasonable price (they retail new for as much as $595, but can be had on amazon today for $404), and that was good--the pernambuco was a longstanding grail pen of mine--but today something just as good or even better happened: i found another one, used but apparently in good condition without any dings. this should clean up nicely. and the price? let's call it a semi-sumgai at $147.50, shipped.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

i like to have user-grade duplicates of my favorite pens that i can put into the daily rotation, and now finally the pernambuco will join my agatha christie, vacumatic OS, 149, and other classics in my bedside cup ;)

Edited by penmanila, 15 December 2013 - 05:17.

Check out my blog and my pens

#14 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:32

like i said above, i found one of these a few years ago for a very reasonable price (they retail new for as much as $595, but can be had on amazon today for $404), and that was good--the pernambuco was a longstanding grail pen of mine--but today something just as good or even better happened: i found another one, used but apparently in good condition without any dings. this should clean up nicely. and the price? let's call it a semi-sumgai at $147.50, shipped.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

i like to have user-grade duplicates of my favorite pens that i can put into the daily rotation, and now finally the pernambuco will join my agatha christie, vacumatic OS, 149, and other classics in my bedside cup ;)

Way to go.  I just flushed and put away one of my Classics.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#15 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2013 - 14:08

I have the walden woods version of this pen (At least it looks just like this pen) and I love it. The nib is quite remarkable on my pen, it is soft and has some decent flex for a modern nib. GVFC make wonderful pens!

Sponsored Content

|