Grifos Pens Questions

Marlon

Hi,

I was searching on eBay and came through this pen company. I must say they do have wonderful pens and I am getting more and more attracted to there pens, and before I end up buying one out of pure impulse, I would like some feedback on these pens.

From what I saw on these forums knowledge seems limited. Apart from the fact that it seems they provide excellent craftsmanship, I have read little about their gold nibs.

So anybody has a pen from these Italian manufactures? What about their nibs? Are they smooth? Are their pens wet writers as I like them?

Thanks,

Marlon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• escribo

• Marlon

• FrankB

• stubnib

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Grifos and it is beautiful. I have both the steel and gold nibs and both were very smooth. I am having a problem though, if left sitting for a day or so it is hard start. The likely culprit is the internal cap seal and it is back at Grifos now for repair.

Like you, I find myself attracted to these pens. So much so, that I pulled the trigger yesterday, so it'll be a little while before I can tell you anything about the pen. At any rate, I opted for a steel nib, since the premium for a gold nib is more than the cost of the pen.

You've probably seen this, but just in case, there is a small blurb here. Scroll down to Category 3: Modern..., Item 7.

The one thing I can tell you is that Maurizio (stubnib here at FPN) is very accommodating & easy to get along with.

Watching this thread, hoping to hear more.

{Edited out unfair content.}

Edited by escribo

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

I have several Grifos fountain pens with gold stub nibs. The pens write beautifully and the quality was very good. I asked the very same questions that you are asking when I encountered them (although it was on Pentrace at that time) and received the same response that I am giving to you.

My wife (who does not write with fountain pens) tried one and just loved it - she made me buy one for her.

As I have too many pens, I put the Grifos pens aside and have not written with them for some time. I cannot recall whether there was a "hard starting" problem as noted above. I may not have experienced it because I used the pens for several fills and then put them away.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Hello to all here and thank you for your kind words on our pens.

Please let me add something about our gold nib price, somehone here have wrote that they are costly os this is true but please consider also what follow:

1) We make our nibs through Germany company Bock, this assure to our customers as you best writing experience as well as nib features. Unfortunately is world know that German quality have a cost and we have to pay it.

2) The gold nib cost are still from 4 year, what unfortunately is changed is the exchange ratio between US$ and our Euro currency. For year ago Euro and $ was exchanged close to ratio 1:1 now $ is fall to 1,46 agains our Euro and this mean that if an our gold nib 4 years ago was priced 75 $ now cost 110$. Unfortunately nor you and me could do nothing against these macro-ecomomics facts but only I would say that isn't our gold nib costly but is the ration of currecy greatly changed.

3)Here "escribo" have sent a link toward a seller that sell gold nib at "only" 90$, while I agree that 20$ less are 20$ less (this is mathematics) I have to make note that those nibs are 14 kt not 18 kt as our ones (is clearly stamp on the nib pictures). This is to give you a correct information about.

4) I have also gold nib sources based in Asian countries that offer gold nib a far lesser amount that Germany but please tell me... would be acceptable for you (our customers) have a lesser writing experience to meet your price expectation? I don't think this worth the pain so we continue to offer high and costly quality but I open mind to your suggestion rememering you that into our world is difficult meet low costs and hight quality in an unique item.

I close this mine reply letting you know what I was working while I have read this post, this was my afternoon work... take pics and prepare it to be posted... here is the new pen.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/summeroffer/NMF511-AN-BGX12-CBLACK-03.jpg

Regard to all from Aosta Valley, Italy

Maurizio Stura

First off -- Nice pen, Maurizio!

Let me make clear that I wasn't complaining about your nib prices. Gold is expensive, and the dollar is weak compared to the euro right now. It is what it is -- economic reality.

And yes, that was a 14K nib I linked to. I didn't mean to be unfair. It involved a thought process of mine, namely that I believe it is easier for a nib-meister to make a 14K nib flexy than an 18K one. Sorry, I wasn't clear there; I was just kind of wondering out loud what might fit the pen besides the nib unit that was supplied with it. It's just something I do -- mentally examine possibilities.

I did not mean to upset anyone; I should probably be more careful to make myself understood. Sometimes I say things which seem perfectly logical to me, but appear as non-sequiturs to others.

And no, I would not prefer lesser quality.

I'll add my voice here to say that I get in touch with Maurizio while I was working at my "List of Italian producers of Fountain Pens" (which escribo kindly linked above) and I must agree he's an easy guy with a strong-strong-strong passion in pens.

I got a lot of material over Grifos and Maurizio's story and I am working to a post devoted to Grifos pens to be published in the Italian subforum.

Best,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I only have two Griffos FP's, and have only good to say about both of them. Mine are both celluloid, but my middle age memory will not allow me to recall the model name. The celluloid is deep, rich and lovely on both pens. The design is quite nice with flattop caps and torpedo shaped barrels. Both pens have M 18k nibs, which, thanks to Maurizio, I now know are Bock nibs. Both nibs are smooth, modestly wet and write a true western M line. I can only agree with Maurizio that the excellence of the writing experience is well worth the money. When I see another Grifos pen that grabs my fancy, I will not hesitate to get it.

Edited: The model FP I have is the "Sphinx." I highly recomment this model for its aesthetics and its writing abilities.

Edited by FrankB

I have a tornado tested Grifos.

It was found 3 days after the storm buried in mud.

I took it back, cleaned it up and it wrote like it was new.

It is a very well made pen and I have never had the first problem with it.

My wife liked it so much she now claims it.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/SsEjMJBRkOI/AAAAAAAAAlU/uFLtB1d-E6Y/GRIFOS.JPG

Edited by jd50ae

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

I'll add my voice here to say that I get in touch with Maurizio while I was working at my "List of Italian producers of Fountain Pens" (which escribo kindly linked above) and I must agree he's an easy guy with a strong-strong-strong passion in pens.

I got a lot of material over Grifos and Maurizio's story and I am working to a post devoted to Grifos pens to be published in the Italian subforum.

Best,

I can't wait! His story is fascinating.

Thanks; I learned a lot reading your above-mentioned article about Italian pen manufacturers.

-Jon

I only have two Griffos FP's, and have only good to say about both of them. Mine are both celluloid, but my middle age memory will not allow me to recall the model name. The celluloid is deep, rich and lovely on both pens. The design is quite nice with flattop caps and torpedo shaped barrels. Both pens have M 18k nibs, which, thanks to Maurizio, I now know are Bock nibs. Both nibs are smooth, modestly wet and write a true western M line. I can only agree with Maurizio that the excellence of the writing experience is well worth the money. When I see another Grifos pen that grabs my fancy, I will not hesitate to get it.

Could you kindly explain the expression? By modestly wet you mean more then normal or less than normal?

The thing is, I am in love with wet nibs and wont write happily unless they are so! :blush:

Marlon wrote:

"Could you kindly explain the expression? By modestly wet you mean more then normal or less than normal?

The thing is, I am in love with wet nibs and wont write happily unless they are so!"

It is my poor attempt to convey that these nibs have a good manageable ink flow without being unmanageable garden hoses. If you like wet nibs, I would think these nibs would be interesting to you. For anyone who prefers nibs with a modest ink flow, these nibs should be a bit more fluid than usual, but still of interest. A lot depends on ink, paper, temperature. You have heard all this, right?

Thank you! This pen have a "business man" look and I hope it will meet the taste of many of you!

No problem about, really , I have 100% understood that you wasn't complaining our prices as well as I know that you haven't post the link toward 14 kt nib to make an unfair comparison, but you could understand that I have preferred complete the informations to make it more balanced and give to you (our customers) a view from our side of the desk.

I will remain with great pleasure at your disposal!

Best wishes to all!

Hrifos Pens Italy

Maurizio Stura

First off -- Nice pen, Maurizio!

Let me make clear that I wasn't complaining about your nib prices. Gold is expensive, and the dollar is weak compared to the euro right now. It is what it is -- economic reality.

And yes, that was a 14K nib I linked to. I didn't mean to be unfair. It involved a thought process of mine, namely that I believe it is easier for a nib-meister to make a 14K nib flexy than an 18K one. Sorry, I wasn't clear there; I was just kind of wondering out loud what might fit the pen besides the nib unit that was supplied with it. It's just something I do -- mentally examine possibilities.

I did not mean to upset anyone; I should probably be more careful to make myself understood. Sometimes I say things which seem perfectly logical to me, but appear as non-sequiturs to others.

And no, I would not prefer lesser quality.