B&n Ecosystem Journals?

AlaskanWriter

I did a review of the ecosystem notebooks a while ago, and REALLY liked them. The quality of construction is awesome, and they do a good job of handling fountain pens, and other types of ink. I also selected them as one of my top office supplies of 2009, in the green category. I honestly dont think you will find a better environmentally friendly notebook anywhere, and it certainly even rivals some non-green notebooks.

These are definitely worth checking out if you are looking for a new notebook.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• AlaskanWriter

• leicamaster

• Bill

:hmm1: My B&N pushes these like crazy. If you're in the Moleskine section, the clerks come by and try to steer you over to the Ecosystem section - happened to me three times in the last 6 months.

I did a "feel test" but the paper didn't seem all that impressive, but now after seeing officesupplygeek's review, maybe I'll give it a go.

Love your blog! :wub:

:hmm1: My B&N pushes these like crazy. If you're in the Moleskine section, the clerks come by and try to steer you over to the Ecosystem section - happened to me three times in the last 6 months.

I did a "feel test" but the paper didn't seem all that impressive, but now after seeing officesupplygeek's review, maybe I'll give it a go.

Love your blog! :wub:

I hate the aggressive sales approach like that, so annoying. Thanks for the kind words regarding my blog.

Not seeing any info on whether they lie flat ...hmm1.gif

Mostly. I'm working through one of the large hardback ruled notebooks right now, and my one quibble (aside from the microperf paper, which I haven't yet decided is a blessing or a curse) is that where the signatures meet (I think), the binding adhesive spreads up to about where the microperf stops, and is impossible to pry apart without ripping the paper. Thus, I'll be happily writing away in a flat notebook, flip the page, and then have to deal with the paper acting funny for two pages. Now, I've only purchased the one hardback, so it could be a fluke in the construction process; I'd like to hear from others who've used these if they're seeing the same thing.

It's not a deal-breaker, as the paper and overall construction is otherwise very nice, but for someone who won't use a notebook that doesn't lie flat, it can be annoying.

Dave

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

• 2 years later...

I know i'm a little late to the post here - but I have tried several of the ecosystem journals (both plain/unlined). Some of my sentiments echo what others have posted. I apologize in advance for "plagiarizing" or not giving you credit if so.

Pros:

* Slightly cheaper than the Moleskine counterparts

* Made in USA with recycled content

* Loved the fact you can lookup when and where your journal was made with the code on the back.

Cons:

* Paper bleeds (especially with waterier inks like Lamy or Waterman)

* Paper is not very smooth

* Ribbon attached with glue (mine fell out)

* Material on cover has a cheap feel to it

* doesn't fold flat

* Paper is not the same on both sides (one side is smoother and glossier)

* I found the microperfs annoying over time.

* Paper was too white (bright)

In Summary: The Moleskine (albeit made in China) product are a far superior product at a comparable pricepoint. They just perform like they have been honed with the input of the customers. The Leuchtturm1917 is a step up from the Moleskine with paper quality and the Quo Vadis with its clairfontaine paper (and made in the USA) is king.

Suggestions: B&N - you should use your competitors products, read blogs and go back to the drawing board. There is a great opportunity for success here (or as long as we're using pens and paper - which I guess if unfortunately about 30 years).

Cons:

Interesting. I have one of these for my journal and I haven't had any bleeding, even with Waterman Blue Black in my wettest pen. Even my most bleeding inks don't bleed through. I have to say that I disagree that a Moleskine is anyway superior. I do find the difference in the smoothness of the sides of the paper and the micro-perforations a little annoying, but I thought that the paper was far superior to any of the Moleskines I've head. Maybe you've had experiences with better batches of Moleskines than I have? Oh, and by the way, these are not a Barnes and Noble product. They sell them, but so do Staples and Amazon.

Cons:

Interesting. I have one of these for my journal and I haven't had any bleeding, even with Waterman Blue Black in my wettest pen. Even my most bleeding inks don't bleed through. I have to say that I disagree that a Moleskine is anyway superior. I do find the difference in the smoothness of the sides of the paper and the micro-perforations a little annoying, but I thought that the paper was far superior to any of the Moleskines I've head. Maybe you've had experiences with better batches of Moleskines than I have? Oh, and by the way, these are not a Barnes and Noble product. They sell them, but so do Staples and Amazon.

I've had great success using these notebooks. They do open flat and the paper is way better than Moleskine. I've had no problems with bleed through with many different pen/ink combinations. I really can only use fine nibs and dry ink with Moleskine. I happen to like the micro-perforated pages since I do like to remove pages sometimes. The paper is more absorbent than Moleskine or Rhodia, but that also means it tends to dry a lot faster too. I do like the white paper vs cream color. So, I would have to say these notebooks are better than Moleskine for fountain pens. I guess everybody has their own preferences so it's great that we have choices.

Edited by threeamigos

Cons:

My experience related to these:

* Never a bleeding or spreading problem with a variety of Noodlers, Diamine, Private Reserve inks. I tend to use fine nibs.

* Roughness not a problem for me; probably related to recycled paper which I prefer. As a leftist I like the absorbency which reduces drying time.

* Earliest Ecosystem paper I used did have different front and back feels, but not 2011 vintage.

* Microperfs are a major advantage for me, to tear out an occasional sheet to leave behind, or delete a wasted page. I use these for daily logbooks which I archive.

Additional pro: The soft-covered version is durable enough for back pocket carry. Tried that with soft Moleskines and the bindings decomposed quickly from flexing when sitting.

Among fixed-binding pads, these are my personal choice.