Lamy Dialog 3

DJJM19951998

Dialog 3  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it is a little overpriced?

I do like the two tone nib, it writes much more nicely for some strange reason than the regular steel nib. Probably because it's softer.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• mstone

• Deirdre

• dizzypen

All of those pens (with the exception of the VP) have regular designs. Only the Pilot custom 823 has a good filling system. (I could count in the Pelikan but it's too small)

I've handled it. The twisting action is smooth and quiet. When you close it there's a metallic cover that slides over securely. And when you twist it open the nib is fully visible. No silly trapdoor like the VP. I think ink capacity is better than the VP, ink flow will probably be better etc.

Nibs can be interchanged more easily on the dialog 3 than the Vanishing point (you don't even need to flush, although it'll be a bit messy).

The Vanishing point is my ugliest pen and to be honest I would probably sell it to make some money to buy a Dialog 3.

The Pelikan M400 is really small. If I do get a Pelikan it'll be an M600 or larger.

Lamy has good customer service.. And lifetime warranty.

The Namiki falcon is kind of eccentric.

I do like the Custom 823 more due to it's vac filler and classic design. And that's the pen I'll be getting for Christmas. However, what Lamy is doing is nice.

Have you handled the Dialog 3? If not, why judge it with your own assumptions?

I have to agree that the VP is really ugly. Really cheap looking, unless you only like to write.

I do like the two tone nib, it writes much more nicely for some strange reason than the regular steel nib. Probably because it's softer.

There seems to be something about Lamy, the notion that they are established as a cheap pen manufacturer of sub-standard quality. I have always been recommended by everyone that the 2000 is the only pen you should buy and anything over is not worth the money.

The price is not the first thing that puts me off.

Lamy could make it out of old 24k gold and it wouldn't help.

I just find it so ugly and unusable looking.

Edited by RLTodd

YMMV

To be honest, I believe that this is the next logical step in the Lamy series of writing instruments.

Let's look at what they've brought out so far:

Lamy 2000: classic Bauhaus design, massive spring-loaded clip, 14k nib, click cap. (Makrolon)

Lamy Twin pen: slim cylindrical design, massive spring-loaded clip, dual function. (Titanium coated steel)

Lamy Safari: designed for children, wire clip, steel nib, click cap. (ABS plastic)

Lamy Swift: cylindric design, retractable clip, rollerball. (Steel)

Lamy Persona: retractable clip, 14k nib, click cap. (Titanium coated)

Lamy Lady: no clip, 14k nib, click cap, priced for a high end market.

Lamy Accent: modern design, massive spring-loaded clip, steel/14k nib, screw cap. (Coated metal)

Lamy Studio: modern design, spring-loaded clip, steel/14k nib, click cap. (Steel)

Lamy Dialog 2: modern design, retractable clip, rollerball. (Palladium coated)

So far, we have not had: A high-end market pen with a retractable clip and nib, and which does not have a cap at all.

Personally, I think this is more of a company milestone than something that's expected to bring in large profits.

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

Given that this is a new mechanism, I don't think it's necessarily overpriced. Despite the fact it's not my cuppa, as a retractable lover, I'm definitely going to try to check one out soon and see what it's like.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Aesthetically the pen is a no-go for me, and I'm partial to Lamy's minimalist style. I'm sure the twist mechanism is a bit of clever engineering, but push-button seems so much more practical to me in that regard. And while I'm a big fan of the nib design (the steel ones work well for me in my Logo and Vista) I'm going to expect a whole lot more than that for a $200+ writing instrument.

Ultimately I have to make a cost-benefit analysis and hopefully my grip can accommodate a VP clip, because I'm definitely not purchasing the Dialog.

- Jon

http://www.rmabercrombie.com/images/610_pens03aweb.jpg

People don't want to pay over $200 for a pen that doesn't similar to the above image (unless it's made out of cool materials like omas and edisons)

Why are there so many comparisons to the regular capless? The pens this should be compared to are:

The MB boheme

The Stipula Davinci

The Pilot VP Fermo

All of which are not very good looking. The MB boheme has a cap which kind of takes away the practicality of having a retractable mechanism, The Stipula Davinci is not aesthetically pleasing, the clip looks like its... A piece of unnecessary costume jewelery.

The Fermo has a retractable mechanism but the clip is still there.

http://www.melpens.com/ebay/items/Pilot_Fermo_blue_fp.jpg

By the way the Dialog 3 is thicker than the VP which would make the clip a bit less intrusive. I must note again that the nib completely moves forward and is not hooded like the VP, which I have had problems staying on the sweet spot...

http://www.isellpens.com/Images/lamy/LAMY%20dialog%203%20FP%20nib.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2661/3810431419_1e42804b90.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

I wonder what kind of market research they did to set the price.

Hmm maybe they used the same market researchers who told Pentax to more than double their prices in response to falling sales :P

Hmm maybe they used the same market researchers who told Pentax to more than double their prices in response to falling sales :P

I mean you really do have to wonder. Out of 61 votes cast so far only 16 say it's priced right. That is a really low number...

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

That little bit of advice has happened more than once.

This design looks like the Engineers wanted to design & build it because they could and someone with decision power fell in love with it. I cannot believe there was a Marketing study behind it. It does not look like a "skim the cream product" even though it is priced like one.

YMMV

Well, I didn't vote. For me, the price is irrelevant, it could be free and not make a difference. In fact, if they offered to pay me to use one I'd have to say no thanks. However, that is just personal opinion. There are many folk that may well like the way it looks.

A twist mechanism is not something new to Pilot, the earliest VPs used a twist mechanism, but they are also far more complex than the push button. Introducing it at a price point that is at the entry level of many of the top tier pen companies is probably a good move. It is certainly not too high and might help the company transition into a new area for retractable pens. While the company has always had offerings that competed in the higher price ranges, they were all conventional FPs and often the price was driven by decoration and aesthetics like Maki-e. This is probably a very good corporate decision and I expect to see both higher priced versions and lower priced ones introduced in the future.

I chose a lot overpriced because I do not like the looks. If I liked the looks I'd probably have said a little overpriced. I'd just rather have a VP.

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

-----

Common sense isn't "right wing" unless you are too far to the left.

-----

www.ebookgab.com for all readers of ebooks

Although the VP looks more like a weapon or a ballpoint than a fountain pen. Those who say that the twist isn't new are right but no current retractable fountain pen has a clip that retracts as well. Btw the main reason people dont like the design is because it looks phallic. But I appreciate the simple design. This FP looks like a FP unlike the VP.

plus no laughable converter capacity.

I don't think it looks like anything. That's part of the problem. It's just a straw with one closed end and one open end. I don't find the VP overly exciting visually but it at least has some curves and lines that vary and give it some character as well as looking like you are paying for something. The Lamy 3 just looks incredibly inexpensive to me with no character lines at all.

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

-----

Common sense isn't "right wing" unless you are too far to the left.

-----

www.ebookgab.com for all readers of ebooks

Btw the main reason people dont like the design is because it looks phallic.

Phallic is not what comes to mind at all, and in fact would have been a major improvement.

Although the VP looks more like a weapon or a ballpoint than a fountain pen. Those who say that the twist isn't new are right but no current retractable fountain pen has a clip that retracts as well. Btw the main reason people dont like the design is because it looks phallic. But I appreciate the simple design. This FP looks like a FP unlike the VP.

plus no laughable converter capacity.

That's definitely not it. Looks like a tampon...

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I'm hoping to see one at the NYC show and answer these questions for myself about it:

1. How does the mechanism feel?

2. When I hold it in writing position, does the bulbous end hide the nib? Even semi-hooded nibs bother me that way -- I like to see what I'm writing.

3. Does it seem like the kind of gizmo I'd really like?

I don't like the shape, but it's always possible that I'd like the pen overall. Lamy's usually too minimalist for my taste, but I was quite taken with the design of the Studio.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

If this thing is fatter than the VP, that's a problem. The VP is almost too fat.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I'm hoping to see one at the NYC show and answer these questions for myself about it:

1. How does the mechanism feel?

2. When I hold it in writing position, does the bulbous end hide the nib? Even semi-hooded nibs bother me that way -- I like to see what I'm writing.

3. Does it seem like the kind of gizmo I'd really like?

I don't like the shape, but it's always possible that I'd like the pen overall. Lamy's usually too minimalist for my taste, but I was quite taken with the design of the Studio.

Deirdre,

the mechanism is pretty neat. It's not really loose. I think trying it would be a great idea.

No it doesn't hide the nib, I was a bit surprised. I could actually see the nib unlike the VP or the 2000. But I did only write my name with it. So I don't know how it is long term.

The entire clip doesn't retract, but it does retract enough that you can't clip the pen as the nib is extended. A sort of.. reminder I guess.