Mechanical pencils - your favorite?

In my particular work environment (tax consulting) there are moments when I have to use a pencil and I have always preferred a .5mm mechanical with generally B lead. In an attempt to apparently mimic the old wooden #2 pencil, however, most mechanical pencil designs are not only "pencil" thin but generally uninspired. Nevertheless, I've generally stuck with the Pentel Forte as a cheap pencil that has a decent size and reliability (wish I had found a Rotring 600 before they went the way of the dodo - oh well...).

So what do others here use? Any designs or overlooked gems I should check into?

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kissing

• *david*

• BobR

• JimStrutton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have anything special in the way of a mech. pencil. My wife did give me a MB that I use occasionally (when I remember to take it out of the briefcase :rolleyes: ). As I recall, it's a .7 mm. Otherwise, I just use a good ol' #2 pencil. I am surprised by the number of options out there though (seems there's as much a variety as there are pen manufacturers).

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

You can still get Rotring 600s. See Stylus Central -- $29.95. Found this by doing a Google on "Rotring 600." It was the first one on the list. Plenty of other places, too. Pencil lead is 0.7 mm

If you can't get a Rotring 600 online for a price you like, look at Office Depot in the pen section for the Yafa stylus pen -- 0.5 mm pencil, black ballpoint, yellow highlighter, pda stylus. Handy little gadget, fat grip area with those knobbly yellow rubber bits. I think I paid about $10 or less for mine.

Another one that a lot of people like is the Faber-Castell e-Motion mechanical pencil. FAT wooden pencil, 1.4 mm pencil lead. Available lots of places. Way more expensive than the first two, which is why I don't own one.

My favorite mechanical pencil for decades has been this Scripto, which has a twist feed and takes .9mm lead I believe. I disliked the yellow pencils in school as I was a math major and did a lot of work with a pencil and never found them comfortable to write with, plus they had to be sharpened. I tried several mechanical pencils (this is in the early '70's) and didn't like them very much, especially the common kind that took 1.1mm lead. Then I found this Scripto which takes a thinner lead and is very comfortable for me. I used it for everything, my job which required working with figures and general writing (this was before I discovered fountain pens). I actually wore out several and then decided I better buy as many as I could find before they were discontinued, as all good products seem to be. :( Sure enough, they're extinct, and so are most of the stationery stores I used to shop in. But I think I've stashed a lifetime supply of these around the house somewhere. I don't use a pencil much now, but when I do, it's this.

I also quickly discovered that the best lead for them was Sheaffer's, sold in those small yellow "coffins". I bought a lot of these extinct items too (firm is my favorite type), but I've run low. Fortunately I found a seller on Ebay with a huge amount of them and now I have enough lead for my children's lifetime too!

I could just not get into the new style mechanical pencils (I think of Pentel) with the ultra thin lead and push button feed.

Not of much use to you as they're no longer available and I'm not selling mine! :D

BTW do tax guys still use the green sheets? Got a few of those too.

post-4-1151292047_thumb.jpg

I find that if I have a thicker/fatter pen or pencil I avoid my tendancy to grip to hard. Toward that end I have found that my favourite mechanical pencil is the realtively easy to find Sanford PhD.

It uses a .5mm lead, refillable eraser that is of a size that is useful and has a comfortable rubberized grip. I've found it to be comfortable to use for longer periods.

Regards,

Carole

The Koh-I-Noor pencil is a lot like the original Rotring 600 pencil, though not nearly as nicely finished in my opinion.

Staedtler Mars Tri .5mm pencils for general stuff, they take a standard lead refill and are light and robust, better still they come in packs of ten.

I use them to make notes on spreadsheets which are normally call data rather than pure financial figures as such.

I also have a couple of Pentel P206 Pencils, but they don't get as much use these days, but the lead choices are many and varied.

I do have a couple of Parker "51" and 61 pencils, but the 9mm leads are a bit too big, but they do make a nice black line and can be found for not too much. The Erasers (E16) for the Sonnet pencil fits them and Pentel make 9mm leads that fit too.

My .02 worth,

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

I use the Pentel Graphgear 1000 very frequently. It is available in 4 lead sizes from 0.3 up to 0.9 mm, has a retractable tip and is the best mechanical pencil I have ever found!

Andy

post-4-1151306066_thumb.jpg

My 5 Waterman Hemisphere MP's containing HB, B or 2B leads... :D

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

Faber castel mechanical 1mm canon, thick, black and great for messy kind of sketching. I really enjoy it and use it for sketching ideas for my paintings. /:)

Daniel

"Sweating is the bodies way of weeping with desire," he said. "Five more cry baby, five more", she said.

how about one of these

Tiffany 14k circa 1880/90(my favourite)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jwassuk/tiff2.jpg

or maybe something in sterling

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jwassuk/silver1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jwassuk/silver2.jpg

more gold

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jwassuk/gold1.jpg

rolled gold

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jwassuk/rolled.jpg

or maybe something a little differant

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jwassuk/gun2.jpg

can't beat a nice vintage pencil

I'm sure you guys have already discovered http://www.leadholder.com/? That site holds many of my dream pencils... um, leadholders. :D

One day I will get the entire Ohto ProMecha set (http://www.jetpens.com/product_info.php/cPath/45_109/products_id/568), not only because of their ultra-funky name, but because they look like they're about to transform into robots.

In the meantime, my workhorse is a 2mm Rotring 300 with built-in pointer.

http://www.leadholder.com/images/leadholders-drafting/rotring/rotring_300.jpg

(Image from leadholder.com)

I break leads easily, so I prefer the thicker leaded mechanical pencils.

When I was still covering baseball regularly in the 1990s, I loved the old Scripto Classic, the rotary pencils that used 1.1 mm lead, for filling out scorebooks. You have to really work to break those. Great, nearly indistructable pencils.

The vintage MPs that are mates to my vintage FPs use mostly 0.9 mm leads, like the Parker 51 and 45 pencils. I also have some Eversharps that take the thick 1.1 mm leads. All those are part of my standard FP/BP/MP carry at work.

I use colored lead these days, but it's tough to find 0.9 mm blue or red leads at most stationers. The 1.1 mm lead is even harder to find, but Roger Russell's Scripto and Norma pencil Web pages is a good place to go for both colored and regular lead (usual disclaimer applies).

O.5 mm lead is too thin for me. 0.7 is about as thin as I go, and only because the newest Sheaffer, Waterman and Rotring pencils use it.