Wtb Inexpensive But Good Writer

Sara

My budget gets tighter and tighter but my desire for more fountain pens is growing! :)

I was wondering if anyone has or could recommend an inexpensive fountain that writes well.

The cheaper the better. Perhaps you have a gem that you no longer use or know of a great seller on ebay? I'd appreciate a note.

Thank you so much for your time and all the great help I have received in this forum :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sara

• Chthulhu

• Ernst Bitterman

• dimeotane

My budget gets tighter and tighter but my desire for more fountain pens is growing! smile.gif

I was wondering if anyone has or could recommend an inexpensive fountain that writes well.

The cheaper the better. Perhaps you have a gem that you no longer use or know of a great seller on ebay? I'd appreciate a note.

Thank you so much for your time and all the great help I have received in this forum smile.gif

It would help to know your pen preferences, such as brand, nib size, etc, re: available, surplus pens, but as far as eBay sellers are concerned, I find these ladies very good and have had some bargains from them; obviously that depends on competition for an item, but they are honest and ethical.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/aki_kiyoko/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

http://shop.ebay.com.au/mel-500/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Glenn.

my apologies :)

I live in Wisconsin, USA so state-side sellers would probably be my preference.

I would eventually like all types of nibs in my collection. The stub, italic and flex nibs appeal to me a lot these days - i hope to be able to mimic the spectacular writing samples i've viewed here.

I've noticed that pens that are too heavy or too thin aggravate my tendinitis.

I have been unable to located blunt needle syringes thus far so converter type filling systems are a must. (does anyone have any leads on where to locate these things? I've exhausted all my ideas)

Thank you!

Even being in the US, you might consider the good selection of bargains offered at the ebay store pen-seller-from-france. (No affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

Low priced goodies here include the Phileas, The P45, and the Rotring Newton, and on a good day, even a Waterman Expert or a Parker Sonnet can be suprisingly affordable (these are all good pens). Also the Kultur or Frontier for an even tighter budget.

Another good option at low prices are the Lamys - Safari or AlStar. Shop around for these and you'll find good prices on your side of the Atlantic.

Good Luck!

Added note - The 45 is thinner than the Expert or the Phileas. The Newton is rather heavy, and so is the Expert. Maybe the Phileas or the Sonnet.

Edited by argonavis

It's hard to beat a Dollar pen, available from either Swisher Pens or HisNibs. Although nib sizes are often limited, I'd write to either of them and ask when they might be getting what. My experience is that Dollar pens write first time, every time, even after sitting for a week or more. They're simple twist piston fillers and hold a surprising amount of ink for their size.

Although they're small (I use mine posted) and light weight, I just looked and they have a larger girth than my Parker 75s or 85, so I don't think they qualify as skinny pens by any means.

As for refilling cartridges, I just carried an empty one into my local pharmacy yesterday and explained what I would be doing with the syringe. Since it's coming up flu shot season (which they give at the pharmacy), they were working with open boxes of syringes and gave me one. Apparently they think I can be trusted with sharp objects. ;) Anyway, there's one of the online sellers well known to the FPN community who sells a cartridge refill kit for a very modest price, but I'll be darned if I can remember this morning who it is. I'm sure someone will post that information.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

You might want to try a Reform 1745 if it is not too thin for you. With a piston fill you don't have to sorry about a syringe.

I'm in the market for another 1745. I really love the one I have for certain Noodler's inks, etc., plus I just like the pen in general.

I'm having trouble finding them on eBay these days, and I'm looking for one on this site!

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

McMaster-Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com ) has syringes and blunt needles of various lengths and bores, no minimum order, and are very fair on shipping costs.

I'll second the Dollar pens, though they're on the slender side. You can find Parker Reflex pens on eBay for about $7 plus shipping, pretty much what they sold for new when they were in production. Light weight, nice size, take Parker cartridges or converter only, and a nice, smooth, moderately wet medium nib. With a lubricating ink like Noodler's you barely feel the paper.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Sara,

I have one of the Indian Dollar pens, and I like it very much. One of my favorite pens is one I bought from the Lavenger Outlet on ebay. It is a True Writer, and I love the pen. Medium nib, smooth writing, wet line............ This is a link to their current listings:

http://shop.ebay.com/levenger_outlet/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Also, take a look at this:

Dan Heine1

Good Luck,

Dan

Thank you for all the input :) I am now overwhelmed with all the options lol

Can anyone recommend a blue-black ink and a black water resistant ink? I've looked and am overwhelmed by all the options!

Blue-black... Waterman's seems to be pretty good, but I find that for a true Blue-black, I mix 3-5 parts Quink Blue with 1 part Quink Black. Increase the amount of blue for more... blueness.

Black water resistant inks - either Noodler's Bulletproof stuff, or Sailor's Kiwaguro Nano-carbon ink. I'd go with the latter because it sounds awesomer.

Also, the Pelikan Pelikano & Pelikan Future are pens that I find to be nice writers.

Another student pen I was impressed with is the Stypen (BIC) line. I am not sure that an engineer could design a less expensive manufacturable cartridge pen that would work, but the ones I have tried were very smooth & reliable writers.

YMMV

The Reflex is generally found with a medium point, and if it's in proper shape it's a quite decent pen (I have two, one of which was great off the blocks, the other a nightmare of tweak-tweak-tweak-grind-tweak to reach a level of bare acceptability). A Pelikano is about the same size and more likely to do as it ought, the Lamy Safari is a bit more expensive but worth it-- the section is a little narrower than the Reflex, but vastly superior in ergonomics. The Hero 330 is essentially the same profile as the Parker 61, which is slender but not abnormally so, and it a good combination of reliability, cost, and function.

Blue-black inks; modern Parker is not to be trusted, sadly, but Sheaffer's is quite nice. Lamy's is very old school-- reacts with paper, extremely permanent, but quite dark in the end. I have heard good things about Sailor's, if you can find it. Herbin's Bleu Nuit is quite pleasant, but somewhat given to feathering on imperfect papers.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

my apologies for a double post.

would you recommend a medium or fine point Parker Reflex? the grip area looks very appealing to me.

Thank you so much for all your help! i love this place :D

As Ernst said, the Reflex generally came with a Medium nib, and a fat & juicy one at that. I transplanted the nib and feed (*very* easy to do!) from a damaged Parker Vector into my Reflex simply because I prefer a Fine(-ish) nib.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

:( bummer... i was hoping for a fine nib.

what about a Waterman Phileas or Parker Frontier?

i was hoping not to spend very much but it looks like most pen shops charge a good chunk for shipping and handling lol - might as well start couch diving for change, right? :D

The Phileas is an excellent pen; I've got M and XF points for mine, and they're both a bargain at twice the price. A good source if you want a specific point size is this eBay vendor-- he's in France, right by the source, and is also one of us FPN types. I don't think I've seen anything but raving admiration for him.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I wanted to stop in this thread and let everyone know that I found an Esterbrook in the most unexpected place - a bag of sewing notions.

Here is the link to the post I made asking for help with getting in it working order: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125589

Thank you all so much - my list of pens to watch for and to buy is bursting with possibilities now :) Please do message if you have something I might like - I'm still having a serious case of "penvy" :D

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files