Danitrio Fellowship Pen

Doug C

This pen is no surprise to any of the Danitrio devotees out there. We have all been waiting for months for this pen.

First Impressions 10/10

There is no way I can improve on the photos by Ethernautrix, Altecgreen, or others. The sole difference between my photos and the others is that this is one of the few with a clip, and I thought that might be worth a look.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P9160030.jpg

Even though I had seen the other posts with the pen, I was unprepared for the total package. You open a larger than normal Dani laquer box with a rich blue velvet finish, find a polishing cloth, and then a silk (I think) one pen kimono and a wooden pen pillow. It is then when you pull this back to find the pen. If you are used to Danitrios, you'll find this pen slightly smaller than usual. Compare this to the photos with a Nakaya Decapod, Dani Mae West and Bokashi-nuri. It is not a small pen, but closer to normal than most pens.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P9160027.jpg

Appearance and Design 10/10

I have seen the posts that show how this pen was made, but I still was unprepared for just how perfectly the pen looks. If you have friends that see this pen for the first time, you really need to educate them as to just how handmade it is. Please refer to how the shell is cut by hand, how the urushi is built up, etc.

You'll develop a new appreciation for how perfectly this pen is made.

I was slightly disappointed in that mine has several scratches on the clip. This might be attributed to the fact that in the scope of about a week and a half, they decided the gold clips could not be done, would be done, and then all of a sudden the pen was here. The speed in which they accomplished this was remarkable. I know the clip has a tendancy to spoil the lines of the pen a tiny bit, but overall for people that need one, I think this is the perfect compliment.

The pen is slightly smaller than I expected, which is no bad thing. I traded off my Mikado since it was a little too large for me (even though I am planning to get another one). It is a little bit smaller than the other Dani's I own, but by most other brand's standards a good sized pen.

Here it is next to the Nakaya Decapod:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P9160028.jpg

Weight and Dimensions 9/10

I like light pens, and the size varies, depending on the pen. Dani's are uniformly consistent in that they are light and balanced. There is no provision for posting this pen, so that is a moot point.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P9160031.jpg

Nib and Performance 9/10

I chose an xf flexible nib. 3 of the 4 Dani's I own have plastic feeds, while the Mae West has an ebonite (as did the Mikado-probably the most beautiful feed I have seen).

There doesnt seem to be a difference in the performance, but all of the nibs are slightly different. It seems that Dani is constantly revising the feed process.

The nib is like other Danis. It works very well, does not skip, but is a little wetter than some of the others which means that it is not a lot different than the fine nib. This is pretty much in line with what Kevin told me. The XF Dani nib is much like the Nakaya medium nib, but writes better for me.

Filling System 6/10

CC, But you do have the option of using it as a eyedropper. I change pens often enough that this is not an issue.

If it had the valve in it I would rethink this.

Cost and Value 9/10

This is a brilliant value compared to other maki-e pens. With the supplied accessories, I would guess this as closer to $1500. Add to that that the exclusivity and personal nature of the FPN'ers that provided the concept, this is an astounding pen for the money.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P9160029.jpg

Conclusion10/10

I feel great about the commitment I made months ago when I purchase this pen. The workmanship is perfect, as is the presentation. There was a delay with the clipped versions, but I noticed that the placement of the clip between the Maki-e is perfect (They slipped it right in between).

As I have heard from so many, most of the pictures make the pen look black, but in reality it is a dark brown, with the edges in purple. I would love to see this broaden with age.

I feel I have stolen this pen, and that this will only increase in value with age.

All in all, a job well done by all of the FPN'ers involved, Danitrio's committment, and most of all, Kevin Cheng.

Thanks for making my year..............

#

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• jpr

• bphollin

• mava

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug, I don't follow the action much in the regional sections. Could you (or anyone, really) supply a link or two to the most relevant threads so an outsiders like me can catch the backstory? It is a remarkable pen!

Whoa! Nice review, Doug! Also, it's a little strange to see a Fellowship with a clip! Hmm...

Not bad, not bad...!

I wavered on that for a moment (months ago), but the faceted barrel and cap meant that the pen would not roll off the desk (apparently a frequent hazard around me).

It's fun to re-live the first look at the Fellowship. Hooray! Thanks for posting the photos so quickly! Beautiful pens you have there!

Lisa

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

BPHOLIN, here is one of the original posts that showcases both Altecgreens's and Ethernautrix's photos (much better than mine, and really show off the the details-it is really important to see the sophisticated maki-e on the pen, something that my camera just can't capture):

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117906&view=&hl=fellowship&fromsearch=1

Ethernautrix,

I went back and forth, but since I have so many pens without clips, I had to see what this one would look like. I think they did a great job in putting on a clip that is very unobtrusive.

I am a guy, and I need to carry pens in pockets......

Love the pen.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Thank you for the link, Doug. All the pictures are fantastic, but of course the real story is the community aspect as ethernautrix mentions midway through the linked conversation. Congratulations to all the "Fellowship" owners (custodians?!). I can see now that it is a very special pen -- much more than just stunning looks.

Thank you for the link, Doug. All the pictures are fantastic, but of course the real story is the community aspect as ethernautrix mentions midway through the linked conversation. Congratulations to all the "Fellowship" owners (custodians?!). I can see now that it is a very special pen -- much more than just stunning looks.

If you do a search on 'fellowship' you should find all of the predecessor posts that brought this pen to life.

Doug.

the Danitrio Fellowship

absolutely exquisite. great idea to compare with other known japanese pens. then, i did not appreciate the dimensions of the pen.

the clip placement and shape is very well executed.

here is a heartfealt congratulations to kevin for accomplishing something that will be sincerely cherished by many and the object of envy by others for many years to come.

Brian

Thanks for the review.

I was wondering what a Fellowship SE would look like with a clip. It looks rather nice. I admit that I did not even consider a clip, though. That is just me and my perceptions of what a maki-e pen "should" look like. But the pen is lovely, with or without a clip, and it is a very meanful pen to me.

I also though the pen looked small when I opened the box. But once I took it in hand, I realized it has a nice girth and it is a very comfortable size. My pen will get a lot of use.

Congratulations Doug and great review.

I have mine sitting in front of me and seeing the same pen with a clip is an odd feeling. I can imagine what it was like for you to open that presentation box and see the pen for the first time. I still remember Ethernautrix's reaction when she first opened her presentation box. The pen wasn't even in it. (Kevin gave us our pens in person then gave us the boxes later). This pen is a bargain for all of the wonderful and special Maki-e work.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks Guys.

I do agree that they did a spectacular job in 'sneaking' the clip just in between the three leaves without any of them touching.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Congrats Doug. Enjoyed your thoughts on the pen. Mine should be in my hands tomorrow so I started getting antsy while reading your review.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I got my pen today. What's the first thing I did? Compare my clipless to yours, Doug. The true artisans at Danitrio are extremely talented indeed; the placement of the clip relative to the barrel is perfect and quite frankly there isn't a whole lot of room (due to the Maki-e) to play with to begin with. Good job!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

Agree with Mava. Great looking placement. I couldn't imagine a clip on the FP at first. Looks great.

Let's give all the credit to the artist.

It is clear that they just didn't just 'slap' a clip on the pen. There was a lot of thought in the process.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

I'm pleasanly surprised at how nice the pen looks with a clip... I think they fit it really well and it suits the pen.

The have moved some of the leaves so that the clip doesn't cover them. When I compare mine to Dougls, the leaves have been pushed aside slightly - if the clip was on mine, 2 of the leaves would be partially covered.

Edited by Siv

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Let's give all the credit to the artist.

It is clear that they just didn't just 'slap' a clip on the pen. There was a lot of thought in the process.

Exactly what Mava did that's why I agreed with him. ;)

Ah, that fresh ink on paper look!

I just noticed that under certain lights (the halogen from my desk lamp), you really can see the underlying purple urushi finish. It doesn't show up under most lighting conditions.

The picture is not good (I can't do close ups indoors-basically all I can do are outdoor shots), but you can really see how the pen will look after the top coat clears (pretend you are drunk, that might help with the blurriness).

A few years from now, you can see how this is really going to be one neat looking pen.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P9230027.jpg

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship