Wtb: Sheet Brass For Nib Flossing

burningdarkness

I have a hard time finding thin sheet brass around here. The pieces I acquired in the past are almost completely worn out and I'm looking for some more. I'm looking for sheets that are 0.002" and 0.001" thick.

If anyone has a hobby shop or hardware store near them that carries this stuff, please send me a PM and we can talk more.

Thanks in advance.

Dominic

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• burningdarkness

• Chthulhu

• Ron Z

• Fazby

You can find the packs of shim stock at most hobby stores, and in some hardware stores. They're usually under $5. You want to use the 0.001" stock.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

McMaster-Carr has 8x12 inch sheets at $2.70 for 0.001": http://www.mcmaster.com/#9011k1 and $2.82 for 0.002": http://www.mcmaster.com/#9011k2

Of course there will be shipping, but if you shop around you'll likely find other things there that will make the expense worthwhile. :-)

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Thanks, Ron. I've been to all the hardware stores nearby and none of them carry brass sheeting as thin as needed.

Mike - thanks for the link. I'll take a look at that tonight.

Dominic

Thanks, Ron. I've been to all the hardware stores nearby and none of them carry brass sheeting as thin as needed.

Mike - thanks for the link. I'll take a look at that tonight.

Then a hobby shop would be your best bet, one that sells models, trains etc. I don't know if AC Moore or a Hobby Lobby will sell them or not.

Micro-Mark most likely does.

McMaster-Carr may have a minimum order.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Then a hobby shop would be your best bet, one that sells models, trains etc. I don't know if AC Moore or a Hobby Lobby will sell them or not.

Micro-Mark most likely does.

McMaster-Carr may have a minimum order.

McMaster-Carr says "At McMaster-Carr, we do not have order minimums." I checked to be sure, but your caution was proper. They also accept credit cards now without registration. They generally ship standard UPS ground unless you specify another method; if you're within 100 miles or so of Los Angeles you'll usually get your order the next day. :-)

burningdarkness, you might also check auto parts houses, preferably independents if there are any in your area.

Edited by Chthulhu

Mike Hungerford

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

We had a model train hobby shop nearby, but it closed down, and I haven't found any others close enough to me.

I'll take a look at the stores you indicated, Ron and see if there are any nearby.

Thanks again, guys. I truly appreciate it.

Dominic

Local source suggestion: I got my shim stock at a local True-Value hardware store; it's sold from a roll, priced by the linear inch (six inches wide, at least where I got mine). Call ahead, they probably don't all carry the stuff, but it's used in things like engine rebuilding, so hardware stores might well have it. And yes, a feeler gage of suitable dimension could be used, but one advantage of brass is that it's soft enough not to scratch or raise burrs on a nib; a stainless steel feeler gage could raise burrs (especially on a gold nib).

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help, folks.

Picked a sheet up online (from a store with free shipping) after failing to find it in any of the hardware stores nearby.

Dominic

Please forgive a dumb question.

Would feeler gauges work for flossing?

Heh ...... that's what I use. My pen-dedicated feeler gauge is well over 20 years old and still functional. I used it just last night. I also have use for the thicker blades in nib adjusting when more horsepower is needed.

I picked up a packet of four sheets in 0.001, 0.002, 0.003, and 0.005 inch thicknesses in the model railroad section of a local hobby shop for $3.59; it should last me a *long* time. Brand is K&S Engineering Company, Chicago, IL 60638. Item #258.

Mike Hungerford