For Sale: Aurora 88 And Aurora Aquila Founten Pens

SELLINSERV

Hi everyone, I have two fantastic Aurora fountain pens for sale. The first is the Aurora Aquila and the second is the Aurora 88. Here is a short description of each.

Aurora 88K

The 88 turned 750.000 pieces sold in early 1952 and 1.000.000 at the end of the year. In 1953 a new model, called 88K, was launched on the market. Possibly the 88 and the 88K were sold in parallel for some time, however it is possible to find 88 with a serial number as high as 1,7 millions.

There are only small differences between the 88k and the 88:

Section – it is questioned if hard rubber was dropped for celluloid, some says yes, some think that only the composition of the hard rubber changed – thus the blackest color; the oval mark imprinted on the section lost the Aurora name and showed only a big 88K (with the K larger than the 88); the section still bears the serial number but next to it there is the nib size imprinted;

Turning knob – again made of celluloid, as the whole pen body; the color code at the bottom end is replaced by a small end cap (black);

Cap: the more evident differences are in this part.

Larger striped pattern;

Black top insert (still the cap has a domed shape); the first exemplars had a metallic chromed cap, just like the original 88, now these specimen are more rare and command an higher price;

Flat clip with black insert (the clip has a drop shape groove where the black lacquer is);

Feed - The 88K model was fitted with a new laminated feed that supposedly better regulated the ink flow;

Box – With the 88K the famous “tubes” used for the original 88 were discontinued. The 88k was produced a different box in red satin and signed 88k on a metal label;

Piston head – the piston head of the 88K is made of plastic;

Aurora

“Aurora” is an Italian name whose meaning is sunrise. Actually the regular ordinary name for sunrise would be “alba”. But aurora is a more sophisticated and evocative name, recalling the light breaking the night, and the beginning of a new start. That was possibly an immediate and evident choice in Italy in 1919, just a year after the end of the bloodiest war of all times, leaving open wounds in both losing and winning sides, and a country with an economy barely touched by the industrial revolution completely to rebuild.

But with today’s eyes Aurora is an even more apt name. After more than 20 years in which founder Isaia Levi managed to raise his pen company over many competitors (especially thanks to a clever and continuous marketing strategy, including ad campaigns and launching of sub-brands for different price positioning) the Aurora original plant located in the heart of the city was completely destroyed by the consequences of a bombing over Torino occurring on a summer night of ’43, possibly the toughest season of the city history, when thousands of citizens died under the allies fire.

In a rather quick fashion, and in an uneasy period, the company managed to find the funding to both rebuild a new factory from scratch (this time located in the city northside suburbs, next to the medieval Stura Abbey) and to design a completely new pen.

Ironically, it was because of the destruction and the ability to fund that Aurora was ready to stand up in the starving postwar market with a brand new product. Between a sea of lever filler or pens with the same pre war style, the 88 was there to represent the future and the hope for a new life.

Aurora 88:

circa 1950

Nikargenta Cap

Flexible Medium Nib

5 3/8″ : 13.7cm Capped

I would like offers over 200 GBP for both.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rroossinck

• diplomat

• I am not a number

• SELLINSERV

Did you ask the permission of the author of the description you have posted above before using it?

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ask the permission of the author of the description you have posted above before using it?

Well, the answer is no. To the OP: please at least save the formatting, this way it's almost unreadable.

BTW: if a Briton use it "as it is" it means that it shouldn't be that bad from a grammatical standpoint...

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

He doesn't care, Diplo, and that's the worst part of it. He posts these threads and never comes back to them to answer questions. I think his eBay username is wrong. It's not SellinSERV...it's more like SellinRUNAWAYWITHYOURMONEY. Anything to make a quick buck. Sad to say it, but I doubt that he has any idea that it was actually your work that he plagiarized, Diplo.

SELLINSERV, you're a self-serving jerk if there ever was an example of one. You stole countless hours of work by a very talented author just so you could try and make a quick buck or two. Nothing that Diplomat wrote was licensed under the Creative Commons, therefore you would need to obtain his permission before using it. You...apparently assuming that "the internetz" simply wrote this on its own, seem to have forgotten that the work you STOLE was created by a real, live person.

YOU ARE A THIEF, NOTHING MORE.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.