Why Waterman?

thewolfgang

From time to time, proponents argue for a Waterman section of its own, and I think, why Waterman?

Not why not. I have only one, a blue Lady Charlotte, and find it to be not really me, although it's certainly smooth enough.

For my benefit, who have been drawn to pens primarily as writers, might the Waterman fanciers among you explain the mystique and allure and suggest some vintage-based affordable routes into their enjoyment and appreciation?

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marklavar

• Titivillus

• mike1

• meanwhile

Now that you mention it, i find it surprising there is no Waterman brand focus section in FPN. It IS one of the major brands that a lot of people use...

I was also surprised that Lamy also missed out on the Brand Focus. I guess they're not quite as big as the other ones...(?) :unsure:

Perhaps not enough supporters on the forum yet?

i guess the Writing Instruments section covers it :eureka:

Edited by kissing

Vintage Waterman flex nibs are surreal, and the 1920's overlay patterns are very beautiful. I personally see modern Watermans more as tools, though. I have a L'Etalon that writes beautifully (but I have a very light touch, and might not think so otherwise, since I haven't seen much give in modern Waterman nibs), but as most modern WM's, are boring old c/c fill. They're as well made now as any, I think, but I think they just lost something, somewhere, at some point. They don't have the extreme utilitarianism of a piston-fill Pelikan or MB. They don't have the beauty and feel of an Italian beauty like a Visconti, Stipula or even a Delta. My opinion is that they're a well known name associated with fountain pens, well-made and purpose-serving, moderately priced and, like Cross, a traditional graduation gift or first "real" pen.

Then again, I'm not all there, either ... Kenneth, what's the frequency?

From time to time, proponents argue for a Waterman section of its own, and I think, why Waterman?

Not why not. I have only one, a blue Lady Charlotte, and find it to be not really me, although it's certainly smooth enough.

For my benefit, who have been drawn to pens primarily as writers, might the Waterman fanciers among you explain the mystique and allure and suggest some vintage-based affordable routes into their enjoyment and appreciation?

Thanks!

Why Waterman? Well, many reasons. Firstly, because it's one of only a handful of major brands, secondly because it was founded by the guy who actually *invented* fountain pens, Lewis Edson Waterman, thirdly because there are already forums for Cross, Parker, Sheaffer and even the relatively small Conway Stewart, so a Waterman forum is definitely a must. I also believe a Montblanc forum should be in place, given the high profile of this brand.

As for vintage, I neither know nor care, as I'm not into old pens. I'm strictly modern!

Edited by marklavar

Now that you mention it, i find it surprising there is no Waterman brand focus section in FPN. It IS one of the major brands that a lot of people use...

I was also surprised that Lamy also missed out on the Brand Focus. I guess they're not quite as big as the other ones...(?) :unsure:

Perhaps not enough supporters on the forum yet?

i guess the Writing Instruments section covers it :eureka:

Lamy is not really a big FP brand, or even a classic FP brand; it's more known for its 'techie' writing instruments. The Lamy 2000 is very much an exception. I consider Lamy as a similar brand to Rotring - designed more for people like graphic designers, draughtsmen, architects and others who draw or write for a living.

I like Rotrings, and Lamys are interesting, but there are just aren't enough models (or at least different pens on ebay...) to justify a forum. Waterman would seem, to my newbie eyes, to be different.

I still think a forum for Japanese pens would be an excellent idea.

- Jonathan

Waterman is a well known name alright. Even before I picked up a fountain pen again, I recognized the name. I only have two at my disposal and they are both down the line, Phileas. I have and fine and a broad nib. Both are smoothe with little flex. I rate then as servicable and a pen I'd take with me to the store to sign charges (don't write checks anymore, either debit or charge). There's a another topic for a thread (How modern technology has lessened our need to actually write with pen and paper).

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

secondly because it was founded by the guy who actually *invented* fountain pens, Lewis Edson Waterman

Not really he's the person that patented some improvements of the fountain pen. You can go back to Da Vinci & Jefferson for earlier fountain pens that is to say ink pens with an internal ink supply.

K

secondly because it was founded by the guy who actually *invented* fountain pens, Lewis Edson Waterman

Not really he's the person that patented some improvements of the fountain pen. You can go back to Da Vinci & Jefferson for earlier fountain pens that is to say ink pens with an internal ink supply.

K

Hairsplitter! :angry:

I have in my collection 10 Waterman fountain pens and 5 Waterman non fountain pens. ie: rollerball, ballpoint.

It was the first upper range pen I ever owned (not a $2.00 Schoolpen). Waterman was the pen that actually set me on the path of collecting... I had a couple of Sheaffer school pens from my childhood and a Parker Vector fountain pen... but the Waterman showed me that there were really nice pens out there, and under a hundred bucks!

There are so many Waterman pens out there, vintage and new and I for one would like to find out more about the vintage side. I think a Waterman forum is warranted. They may be the most common fountain pen available today as they are easily found in Office Depot and Staples.

I also think there are other makers of pens who should have their own forum... even though I don't own a single one of their pens... Mont Blanc, Lamy etc. The more knowledge I can get about pens the better off I will be when making a decision to buy.

QUOTE (marklavar @ Jun 22 2006, 04:28 AM)

K

For an article on Fountain pens pre-dating Waterman, check out this one at penlovers.com

The Early History of the Fountain Pen

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I'm in love with my Waterman's Ideal 52. It's got a number 2 flex nib, and it creates some beautiful curves and lines. But it's really quite a wet writer. In fact, every surface paper I write on, there's little to heavy bleed through. But I still love this pen.

I haven't tried any other Waterman brands, but I hope to, right after I purchase a Parker 51.

• 6 months later...

Currently, I own 5 Watermans and I love everyone of them. For me I love Watermans because I like the style, the lifetime warranty, and the history of the Waterman brand.