Aurora Optima - best way to fill/flush it (I don't have instructions)

dzdncnfsd

I just got my first Aurora Optima, but it didn't come w/ instructions. I'm not sure what the best/proper way to fill and flush it is. I just dipped the nib in water and unscrewed/screwed the back end area (is that called the "blind cap"?) several times to suck water into the ink chamber and flush it out several times.

However, I can't seem to get all the water out - I can see some water through the ink window. I let the pen sit nib-down in some paper towels for two nights, but there is still some water left (visible through the ink window).

I also know that the Optima has a "reserve" reservoir of ink, to keep you writing for another 1-2 pages in emergency situations. But I can't tell how you activate it - is it just a matter of continuing to screw/unscrew the back end area? How can you tell where the "regular" allotment of ink ends and where the "emergency" allotment begins?

Is there a technique to get all the water out of the ink chamber? There must be, because changing colors and cleaning out this pen must be a pain, if it's so hard to get that last bit of water out of there.

I hope someone with this desired knowledge can share! Thanks. :)

Edited by dzdncnfsd

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dzdncnfsd

• Koyote

• Babangita

• limt

I have an optima and a (modern) 88. The Optima, like yours, came without instructions, but fortunately the 88 did. The manual just says to turn the piston as far as it can go, as if you're flushing out all the ink, and this should be enough to write another page or so. I'm not sure how this is accomplished, though.

Anyway, I don't really care if there's a bit of water remaining, but if you really want it all out, then just unscrew the nib and shake out the drops. Unscrewing the nib is easy if done right: hold the nib in your dominant hand (right if you're right-handed), gently but firmly between your thumb and forefinger, with the pen upside down, and, holding the nib tight so it doesn't move, use your non-dominant hand to unscrew the rest of the pen off the nib. [The above should only be done if the pen is empty of ink; otherwise, hold the pen right-side up and be extra-careful!]

Edited by ParkerBeta

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

Great - thanks ParkerBeta. I just did that - I think that's just what I needed. The ink chamber has a big opening to it now, and it should dry quickly. Can't wait to fill the pen w/ ink and start writing! :)

So, it is recommended to take out the nib to dry the ink chamber before changing ink? Taking the nib out each time when you change ink could increase the risk of damaging the nib.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

So, it is recommended to take out the nib to dry the ink chamber before changing ink? Taking the nib out each time when you change ink could increase the risk of damaging the nib.

Similar to say a Pelikan. If you're not careful, then yes, you can damage the nib by screwing and unscrewing. But the most thorough flushes and cleanings are done by removing the nib. For you can completely clean the ink out from the section, and you can drop the nib in a glass of water.

That said, if you don't unscrew the nib, the ink will eventually dry out from the barrel if you leave out without the cap, albeit more slowly.

I try to keep one ink per pen, but were I to change colors and if I didn't want to remove the nib, then I would flush well, as I do with my pens that don't have unscrewable nibs. Shake it to get the water out, and set it on a paper towel to get as much water out. Then I'd fill it, swirl around the ink a bit to catch the water in the barrel. Then I'd dump that ink, refill and use.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

I don't have an Optima/88 but if you want to dry out the pen without removing the nib, would you not have to have the "reserve" reservoir in the activated position to allow it to drain and dry?

@rollerboy: Not necessarily in the activated position, but one has to have activated it, i.e., unscrewed the blind cap to release the "magic reserve," in order to start with a barrel that is already as empty as possible from normal use.

I think removing the nib and feed is good if one wants to have the pen perfectly dry. But if you're just trying to get it nearly dry, e.g., before changing inks, then just flush it a few times, wrap an old piece of cotton tightly around the nib/feed, and put it upside down in a glass to drain for a half day; then remove the cloth, invert it so the nib is up, and let it dry for another half day.

If you want to be really careful about switching inks or are worried that any residual water would dilute the ink, then just fill it with a small amount of ink. Use it up or squirt it out, and then fill it up.

JN

• 5 years later...

Maybe I am stupid, but I tried to unscrew the nib and it doesn't work.

Did not want to apply too much pressure, so which way do I turn it? Please explain like I am a complete idiot.

I just keep the same ink (Aurora black) in my Aurora all the time and flush it once every two months or so. Otherwise every time I fill, the ink gets watery.

I don't pay much attention to the reservoir--but if you open up the piston knob by turning counterclockwise, whatever ink is left in the pen can be used. I usually just refill at this point. I like to keep things simple.

• 1 month later...

Hi, please take this with a lot of reserve and think it over before acting as my experience may be just a result of a coincidence due to a manufacturing flaw.

But I would also like to ask more experienced users for patience for wasting everybody's time if my findings are nothing new and an absolutely normal thing with Aurora's.

In both my modern 88 large fps the lower section - the piston knob can actually be unscrewed together with the small ring separating this two sections - the piston knob and the pen body/ barrel.

When the piston knob is unscrewed up to the end (as to empty the pen), gently grab the small ring between the pen body and the piston knob and (again gently!) unscrew it in the same direction as the piston knob has already been unscrewed.

In my case it took just a little more pressure than required for turning the piston knob when emptying the pen.

When I found this out, merely by accident, I thought of it as another one of Aurora's "touch of genius" as I am actually yet to encounter an easier system to clean/flush a pen on modern pens.

This thread didn't show any traces of glue, shellac or anything like it. Just a perfect shallow thread going into the pen body.

I carry both of the pens quite often in all weather conditions, on airplanes etc and never had a leak so, with some silicon grease for extra protection, I still clean my 88's by using this method.

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

I flush my Optima maybe once or twice per year...Otherwise I just keep refilling it. And I just flush with water and don't worry about the tiny bit of water that stays in the reservoir. I either refill right away, or leave the pen, nib up, in a coffee cup on a sunny windowsill and the water disappears in a day or two.

I honestly don't think there is a need to dismantle the pen, which just creates the risk of breaking something.