Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo

Tsujigiri

JetPens has Iroshizuku for $22.50 a bottle. They ship free (in the U.S.) for orders over $25. Therefore, if you order two bottles you get them for $22.50 each, including shipping, not $30.00.

Unless you live in California, like I do, where you get slammed with the newly raised CA sales taxes. :gaah:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tsujigiri

• Cedar

• scratchy

• HenryLouis

JetPens has Iroshizuku for $22.50 a bottle. They ship free (in the U.S.) for orders over $25. Therefore, if you order two bottles you get them for $22.50 each, including shipping, not $30.00.

True... But I don't live in the states... The cheapest shipping option is $8. Meaning around $26 each if I order 2 bottles. I think Ejenka is still a better option. Somehow the things I order shipped from hong kong or japan come faster than anywhere in the states and at a cheaper price.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Quick update: I'd heard that this is a difficult ink to flush out, but I emptied out the Pelikan today, and it was very easy to flush clean. Maybe it depends on the pen...

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got delivery of this ink today and like it a lot. IMHO in comparison to MB Bordeaux it has got an ever so slightly blue tinge to it, but this is under artificial light so YMMV

I can see myself using this ink a lot. I've put it in my Sailor PG B-nib and it makes crisp lines with good saturation without being 'flat'. It is much more legible than MB Bordeaux.

I like the fact that once upon a time it was in Japan on the other side of the world. Maybe I should've got two bottles...

Sailor Professional Gear GT B Nib

Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib

Pelikan M1000 (black) B Nib

Bexley Simplicity bronze GT B nib

Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

• 7 months later...

I do love the colors of the Oilot Iroshizuku inks, especially the Yama Budo, but I have had one problem with the ink. If it sits in the pen for more than a couple of day the ink becomes discolored, it darkens and loses all of its brilliance. I generally have to fill up about 1/4 of a page of paper before I hit the level where the ink has retained its color. I had the ink in a Montgrappa pen. I've had the same problem with the Roeher & Klinger Cassia ink. I don't know if it was a problem with oxidation of the ink or the pen. The inks were in a montgrappa pen when this happened. Could it be the pen affecting the ink?

Anne Gray

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

A lot of "exotic" reds, y-b for one, exhibit that tendency. It might be due to delta wave radiation or sub atomic bombardment triggering said transformation.I'd check with Nasa or JPL on that one. Deal with it. The entire line's a winner. I have so much ink... that scribble fluid rarely last 5 days in any dart. I have one permanent carry, with it's color... and two contemporary tubes in a three finger every day. BTW, love gray & blue inks in vintage Sheaffer's. The last of the triumvirate that's juiced up gets an outrageous color by default.

FYI... JetP now get's $28/ flask of Iro ink. Distributor slime...is generally the cause of this common ink problem. This is not to be confused with the slime you might find in a contaminated bottle of pen juice.

Edited by SnowLeopard

• 1 month later...

Myself, I love the color. If I get a job soon, and cannot sell the pen I have for sale in MarketPlace (it's a yama budo colored Pilot Heritage 91) I might keep it, and get some of the ink to match the pen.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

This is my first ink review, and I've only just gotten into inks, so I don't know all the criteria to judge them by.

The Ink Review Forms (templates) here on FPN will give you a good start.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Jared, the testers were pretty common in the department stores. Quite a few had the ink, but they didn't stock very large quantities. The best deal for them that I know of is at Sekaido, a multi-storied art store. The Iroshizuku inks are on the first floor behind the counter. They mentioned something about having a card that you pay for, which gives you 20% discounts, but I didn't quite understand the details of it. They gave me 20% off on the ink without a card, in any case.

What neighborhood is Sekaido in? I'm going in November & ink is at the top of my shopping list! :puddle: I love the display w/ the samples... it's so Japanese :cloud9:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

This stuff is EXACTLY the same colour as you get from mixing magenta and black ink. In my case J Herbin. Just two aniline dyes, more more, if they need more than one to get magenta.

If you peek behind the curtain, the magic dies pretty fast. Wild grape, my

Edited by andrewnielsen

This stuff is EXACTLY the same colour as you get from mixing magenta and black ink. In my case J Herbin. Just two aniline dyes, more more, if they need more than one to get magenta.

I disagree. For one thing, P.I. Yama-budo is considerably more saturated than mixing 2 J.Herbin inks, and for the second thing, it has a lovely sheen.

If you can get the same colour and properties from mixing two Herbin inks then that's probably a win-win in terms of price? I guess some of the Iro's can be pricey, but Herbin where I live is just over ten euro a bottle, so it would take close to 22 euro to make a bottle of Yama-doppelganger, There was a time you could get some Iro's (not all) for 10-12 euro a bottle and free postage off ebay. That's how I got most of mine.

Personally I like Yama, but I think there are much better inks in the range.

I disagree. For one thing, P.I. Yama-budo is considerably more saturated than mixing 2 J.Herbin inks, and for the second thing, it has a lovely sheen.

Honestly, ignore this guy. He's got three posts, and every one of them is a variant on the same readily-demolished complaint about Yama-budo. I don't know why someone would make a hobby of digging up (sometimes quite old) reviews of a particular ink in order to attempt to bash it, but there you are. Maybe someone at Pilot said something about his sister.

Very nice review! Thank you.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have this ink in my Platinum President now, because, I desperately try to like this ink. Out of all the Iroshizuku inks I have , this one and Ina-Ho are the ones i would gladly give away, if somebody wants to pick them up.