Hello from Southern California!

tonydacrow

Hi, guys.

I'm brand-new to the forum and am thankful that there are individuals out there who are as odd as I in their love of the act of writing with fountain pens. (This is particularly odd in my case since my penmanship is so crappy. I am trying to change that, however!) I’ve read many of the posts made in the last few months and am grateful for all of the excellent information here.

Most of my pens are vintage Sheaffers with a few Parkers, Waterman, etc thrown-in. I also own a few modern Crosses, Rotrings and a Pelican 200 in OM. I like fine nibs but loveitalic nibs. I don’t own any flexible nibs but would really like to try a few.

Since I like the way italics write, I down-loaded a tutorial on grinding nib points and decided to conduct a little minor surgery on one of my Waterman Phineas’ w/ a Medium nib. I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how easy the nib grinding went as well as the result when the pen is laid to paper. I’m now at the point where I’m trying to decide if I should do the same to my Cross Century II Art Deco. It’s also a Medium nib and I don’t like the way it writes. The line is too thick for my style of writing and very wet. So, I’m thinking of doing the same as I did with the Phineas.

Does anyone think I’m an idiot for doing this to a “nice” pen? Do others of you grind your own nibs? Results? Positive or negative comments? I’d love to hear from you guys! B)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonydacrow

• Onion

• Dawn

• Hobo Bob

I don't think you are an idiot. Look at what you are doing. You are taking a piece of equiptment that you are not satisfied with and modifying it to your liking. It has to be very satisfying to be able to do this on your own. There are people who make money doing just what you did. Keep it up and if your work is good you may be able to help others with nib problems. Keep it up.

Edited by mike1

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Hello and welcome to FPN!

Actually, many here have ground their own nibs. The main thing is that YOU are happy with YOUR pen, after all, that's what it's all about! It'd be great if you could post a picture of your pens and a writing sample of your custom grind.

Glad you're here and hope to see you around.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

You've got quite a collection of pens there. Turning a "nice pen" into a pen that works great for you is a very smart move IMO. Please post before and after photos of the CCII. Maybe you will inspire some of us to be as adventurous. ;)

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Hi Tony,

Welcome! Why would you consider yourself an "idiot" for seeing something you don't like and taking action on it? If we had more people like you in this world, think of how much better it would be....

Hello Tony and welcome aboard! Someday I really need to get an Italic nib and have fun with it. Do you have your nibs custom ground?

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Thanks again for all the kind words, all.

Margana, I'll try to post a pic or two of the CCII project once I start. I'll also try to explain what I'm doing so you can follow step by step (assuming I know what I'm doing at the time!).

Mannenhitsu, I just grind the nibs myself. It's actually very easy and a rather soothing process. I haven't done it on an expensive pen yet, but that's my next project!

Tony welcome aboard. Where in So Cal are you located. I am in South San Diego county. Eastlake area.

I would be VERY interested to learn what the tutorial was that you downloaded. I have several pens that I would like to try and do an Italic grind . If you could post the link I would be greatly apreciative!

Edited by Onion

Hello, and welcome! Congratulations on a successful first grind. Heh, would that my firsts were as smooth. Would be interested in seeing that tutorial as well... And Welcome!

Hello, again.

I'm not having too much luck in finding the nib grinding tutorial I down loaded. I'll keep trying to find it. If I can't I'll just try to post step by step w/ pictures on my next grind as soon as work slows down... :)

Yes, thank-you, Gerry.

It was in fact one of the links in that thread. The nib grinding tutorial I used is the excellent article written by Ludwig Tan found here Mr. Tan certainly explains this better than I could ever hope to do. I highly recommend this article!