Carbonesque Namiki Vanishing Point

HDoug

Reviewlet

Just wanted to post something I discovered today, a small but significant difference between the standard Namiki Vanishing Point, and the identically priced "carbonesque" version. I have had the standard version -- black with rhodium trim, medium -- for a while and it's my daily office-carry implement of choice. I like it and use it so much so that I "needed" another one with a fine nib.

I went to Honolulu Pen Shop looking for a dark blue version, but Father's Day had sold the blue ones out. They did have a carbonesque version at the same price, though. The carbonesque finish has always bugged me a bit because, well, it's not really carbon fiber. The two look very similar:

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/vpboth.jpg

After handling one, I noticed a big difference, one you can't see in photos no matter how high the resolution: Unlike the smooth, slick, laquery feel of the standard's acrylic, the carbonesque has a slightly textured surface . The thing that surprised me, and motivated me to post this, is that it's also much softer and warmer to the touch. It feels much different and is easier to grasp. This tactile characteristic hasn't been mentioned in reviews (I think) so I thought it worth mentioning here. I wonder what that "carbonesque" stuff really is. It is the only pen I have (albeit acrylics, the rest) with such texture and warmth.

I have it currently loaded up with Noodler's Legal Lapis and it's writing this reviewlet. Such a nice feel that I've turned a one sentence review into several paragraphs! Sorry...

Doug

Addendum of 04/02/07. Knowing that people use these reviews as a reference before buying pens, I thought that I would update this review by mentioning that the "Carbonesque" finish is known as "Kasuri" in Japan. The interesting thing is that kasuri refers to a kind of cloth design used in kimonos and what not. This makes a lot of sense to me because the finish did not look anything like carbon fiber to me. There is some discussion a few pages (maybe 3) into this thread with some interesting photos of actual kasuri.

The Namiki Vanishing Point (VP) and Pilot Capless nomenclature is confusing enough. I notice that most here like referring to the pens by it's export market Namiki name. As I write, some have also agreed to refer to the carbonesque model as "kasuri." I think I will do that myself, since that's actually what it was designed to look like. So a "Pilot Capless Kasuri" is the same thing as a "Namiki Vanishing Point Carbonesque" and probably more frequently, a "VP kasuri."

Doug

Edited by HDoug

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HDoug

• Juan in Andalucia

• RyanL27

• elena

i haven't paid attention to if it (the texture) has been mentioned in reviews but it has been mentioned in passing before and I certainly noticed it when I was test driving VPs many months ago. Unfortunately for me, the look and feel didn't appeal to me.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Yeah - I love the carbonesque feel of my VP. I've had a smooth black VP and both blue and black carbonesques, and I greatly prefer the textured feel of the latter. They do feel warmer, and the texture provides a nice, solid gripping surface.

Like you, I at first thought it was silly to mimic carbon fiber just to seem high-tech, but after using both types, I'll never go back to the smooth variants.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

• 1 month later...

I have several fountain pens, but the VPs are my favs, including the carbonesque. Yes, that slight texture gives the sense of being closer to the pen. More one and one. Does that make sense? :rolleyes: Also a frequent visitor of Earl's.

Ha! Ha! Good trick, I thought to myself. Psych people into believing the carbonesque feels better. Sure.

So it's five minutes later and I've already dug out one of each, scribbling away, swapping the innards cuz one is fine and one is medium, grumbling cuz I figured I just lost a game of "made you look."

But you know what? I believe you all may be right.

It's sorta' like the difference between the slick plastic steering wheel of a 1960's car and today's slightly textured wheels.

Bill

I just got mine today, and it sure feels nice! Certainly one of the most cool designs I've ever seen.

The Danitrio Fellowship

Gotta blue carbonesque and I really like the color and feel of the pen. It's one of my favorites for short notes. I was just using it earlier today, as a matter of fact. :D It's also really nice to be able to drop in nib/converter units so easily. I've got a fine (like an EF), a medium (~F), and a broad that's been stubbed. Like 'em all!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

The Namiki VP blue carbonesque was one of my first FPs.

When I got a couple others I liked better (Pelikan 800s) my husband swiped my Namiki for his own use.

It's the only FP he'll use.

So, I bought him another one for Christmas. This was the plain green with gold trim.

Right out of the box, he didn't like it as well, but he was too polight to say anything.

He loved the feel of the blue, but didn't care for the color (he likes green).

I showed him the picture of the $300 eBay red carbonesque and he remarked that he'd sure like a green carbonesque.

Thanks to this board, I found the Japan Ujuku Shop (http://ujuku.jpn.ph/KAIMONO/penframe.html) and they have green carbonesques (sp?) for a little under $200 delivered.

I ordered one for his birthday and received it in excellent condition and in a very timely manner (very nice people to deal with).

So, the plain green one wasn't getting any use until I traded it to Yiterp (with another pen and some ink) for a knife. :)

"I am a teacher as well as a witch," said Miss Tick, adjusting her hat

carefully. "Therefore, I make lists. I make assessments. I write things

down in a neat firm hand with pens of two colors."

Miss Tick from

Terry Pratchett's

Wee Free Men

I am another with the blue carbonesque. It was my first fp & still one of my favorites. Doug-- if you want a fine nib, you can buy just a nib unit. I have all three nibs & I like the variety of switching. My only complaint is the broad is awfully dry compared to the medium. The medium is my fav, but I am trying to use my stubbed broad more & more. I think I need to get the flow increased.

• 2 years later...

So, is the plain black made of plastic? I think it's lacquer or enamel. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice review.

Juan

Great observations! The carbonesque pattern looks so luxurious I keep finding myself trying to dive into my monitor and swim in it!

I've been interested in looking into a Pilot VP for quite a while, but I've never seen one in person and in all of the scans I see, they always look somewhat "chunky" and oversized. Still, I'll probably end up getting one sooner or later, since the capless system would be a great compliment to a Levenger Pocket Briefcase!

I still don't know what are modern Capless/VP made of. I know that the old style (faceted) ones were made of plastic, but I'm not sure about the current ones. My guess is enamel on metal, but I've heard some FPNers saying it's acrylic.

What do you think?

PS: If someone has a Capless nib-filler unit (F nib rhodium plated) for sale or trade, send me a message.

Juan

So, is the plain black made of plastic? I think it's lacquer or enamel. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice review.

They both have brass bodies. The plain one is covered by lacquer or acrylic -- some kind of shiny stuff, and the kasuri with a softer-textured plastic. Both are fairly hefty at 30 grams.

Using my kasuri today (Noodler's Luxury Blue)!

Doug

• 1 year later...