S.T. Dupont Défi

Michael R.

The Défi (challenge) is a new pen line from the French S.T Dupont company. The Défi writing instruments are made from palladium-finished injected metal parts and carbon-fiber plastic materials. Together with a fountain pen a capped roller ball, a ballpoint pen and a multifunctional pen are available.

The Défi features a very modern design and the choosen materials make the pens fairly lightweigt.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Dupont/DupontDefi.jpg

Interestingly the fountain pen comes with a (special ?) steel alloy nib available in medium and fine.

The semi-integrated fine nib writes a true fine line; the nib is smooth but pretty stiff. The ink flow is well balanced and neither to wet nor to dry; the pen performs nicely without skipping or any other problems. The pen is filled via converter or standard international cartridges. So far I have tried Dupont Bleu Nuit cartidges only which came with the pen.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Dupont/DupontDeficlosedsmall.jpg

The pen's cap does not post due to the shape of the barrel (a mixture of partially elliptic, round and square shape) but the pen is long enough to use it unposted. When closing the pen the cap snaps onto the gripping section securely. Also the clip is spring loaded.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Dupont/DupontDefiopensmall.jpg

The Défi is my first S.T. Dupont pen and I'm very happy with it; all in all a very good purchase. I'm even considering getting a matching ballpoint pen or multifunctional pen as well.

In Germany the Défi fountain pen sell for under 300 €.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ssmui

• Pen2009

• olivier78860

• humsin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the look of it, and good to hear that it writes well. Enjoy it!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

This is Dupont I would like to try. Is this only combination of colors/materials? Would love to see how does this stiff nib writes, so if you have some spare time... :)

Thank you for the review.

I like the aesthetics of the Defi very much. It is good to hear it writes well. But the metal section is a deal breaker for me. It is also an awfullly expensive pen to have a steel nib.

Is it easy to grip? A thin pen (it looks thin by looking at the picture) with a metal grip section could make it difficult to get a firm grip of the pen.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Nice review. I really like my Duponts, their nibs rival the best Sheaffer Balances and their looks are 100% understated elegance. I have never found one where the fit, finish, reliability and performance were not perfect. In the US the new Defi seems to sell around $300-350 which puts it in the price range of some other limited production pens. I have not yet tried the Defi and so can't comment on it, but my experience with other models from ST Dupont over the years would lead me to expect perfection.

My Website

Hey there, great review and awesome photos. The Defi is also one of my recent purchases. I'll add my own observations and answer some questions here.

I am been able to post the Defi by pushing the cap firmly onto the end of the barrel. It seems as though there is a rubber ring on the inside of the cap - if I push hard enough, the pen will post securely. As far as holding the Defi, I actually grip it by the lower barrel, not the metal section. This way, my fingers rest and push against the 'frame' separating the barrel and section, giving me leverage when I press the nib to paper and write. I've tried to include two photos of me holding the pen to give an idea (this will be my first photo upload on FPN, sorry in advance if it doesn't work this time).

The writing experience is a lot of fun. I was also hesitant about the steel nib, but when I tried it at the DC Pen Show, I just had to buy it. I am writing with a fighter jet! It's mostly smooth, just a little bit of tooth, but not distracting. I've used the included blue cartridge, and Waterman Florida Blue; the pen and ink behaved well when I wrote on both sides of Staples eco-friendly paper (the sugarcane waste fibers), and cheap photocopy paper at the office. I expect this to write well on Rhodia paper also.

Anyway, my two cents on this pen. I'm happy that I bought it, and it has and will continue to get a lot of use. Right now, it's un-inked in preparation for my upcoming move to Spain. But, once I get there, I will unleash the Defi again...

post-9978-1252364658_thumb.jpg

post-9978-1252364668_thumb.jpg

Guys.

Thanks for your review and thoughts on this pen. I have been hoping for someone to do a review for awhile now.

Neil

nice pen

In the days gone by, people believed that if a person touched an object, that object would form a bond with a part of their soul.

Today such a thought seems almost absurd....Until you enter the realm of Montblanc's master craftsmen.

Montblanc - Soul makers for over 100 years

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thanks for the post. J M Pennifeather are now stocking the S. T. Dupont Defi Pens range. We love the new look and the sharp lines.

Anyone looking for S T Dupont pens in London please feel free to pop in and check out the pen range.

All the best

J M Pennifeather - London Pen Shop

Buy Fountain Pens & Designer Pens Online

Thanks for the nice review of a wonderful pen. As usual, S.T. Dupont tops the line with their excellent nibs as I experience them with my Orpheos. I miss those nibs when I write with my other pens.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review & the additional comments! I've had my eye on this one for a while now but haven't had the chance to try one out. I love Dupont pens and I agree, I've never gotten one that wasn't perfect.

I absolutely love the look of the Defi & All the S.T Dupont nibs I have played with have been superb but I cant seem to get along with metal sections. I find it awkward to grip and a bit slippery.

:/

Maybe once I try it in the flesh it will change my mind.

I too generally find metal sections slippery, yet one one of my Olympios has one and I love it. The section has several radial depressions and a slightly textured surface that gives great tactile feedback and control.

Dupont does everything well.

Edited by jar

My Website

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael,

Great review, thanks.

I'm a lucky owner of a Defi with medium nib. I share most of your thoughts, but I would like to add that I've never seen workmanship to this perfection. I was a bit hesitant about the steel nib before buying it, but the writing experience is better than with some of my gold nibbed-pens, including Sailor 1911's. Even ink-flow, very smooth nib although a bit stiff.

The only thing I don't like about the pen is the fact that it's not made to be used capped; it can be done but the balance is not very nice and I'm afraid of damaging the back. However, due to it's shape, the pen wont roll off a desk when put down uncapped.

Love the pen, will buy more Duponts in the future. Outclasses everything I've owned MB wise in every aspect.

If anyone has a orpheo/olympio silver diamond structure, medium nib that want to sell, give me a PM :)!

** Any landing you can walk away from is a good one **

I absolutely love the look of the Defi & All the S.T Dupont nibs I have played with have been superb but I cant seem to get along with metal sections. I find it awkward to grip and a bit slippery.

:/

Maybe once I try it in the flesh it will change my mind.

I too generally find metal sections slippery, yet one one of my Olympios has one and I love it. The section has several radial depressions and a slightly textured surface that gives great tactile feedback and control.

Dupont does everything well.

Thanks for that, then I guess I will have to hop over to Aesthetic Bay and play with one in the flesh to see how it feels.

I tried one but the steel nib is too rigid for my tastes and the pen is too thin. :(

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 years later...

I am trying to buy one but the price of the Defi carbon fiber FP is in the range of USD650-USD680 now. Holy cow ! Talk about inflation :mad: