Elysee pens

petra

I haven't made many ebay pen purchases, but in each case, I found the pen by accident while looking for something else. And they have mostly been pens I never knew existed. :blush:

Today I found anElysee pen. I've never seen them mentioned here and never heard of Elysee. So far I have figured out it was a German company, out of business since 2000, and they had a "pens as jewelry" philosophy.

This pen has a style that seems vaguely like Montblanc Noblesse - sleek, slender. It's stainless steel and has gold inlay of the world continents around the barrel near the section. Maybe some thin gold lines too, but I couldn't really tell from the picture.

I'll try to post a photo once the pen arrives, but I'm wondering if any of you know more about Elysee pens than I do? I don't really know what kind of quality to expect.

Thanks!

Petra

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Philipppf

• petra

• elysee

• guy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had one through the 90s and it was a great writer... heavy pen in the style of a Cross brass barrel. Got some brassing on the metal (this was a daily writer), but the blue lacquer was of good quality. I also had problems with the spring-hinged clip, in that it got loose over time and couldn't be relied upon.

Perhaps one of my favourite writer of all times until I dropped it and smashed the nib. Unfortunately, this was before I knew about repair services on the Internet!

Good luck, I enjoyed my Elysee a lot.

Hello petra,

I have two of these: Elysee Concorde Golf

Got them from an ex-girlfriend´s mother who had no use for them. From what I´ve gathered, the pens are considered to be quite nice actually, but the company didn´t make it very far, mostly because of that "pens as jewelery" philosophy, there simply wasn´t enough demand.

Quality wise there´s really nothing bad to say. The pens look quite nice (I´m not a fan of golf, much gold, or flashy ornaments, but one can look over that) and have a solid feel to them. The only real point that I have with the Concordes are the medium nibs, they make a line that´s too bold for my tiny handwriting, but aside from that, they write nice and smooth.

I hope I could help a little and am looking forward to the pics. If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Regards, A.

13968229573_ae23c291d7_m.jpg

My adventures in leatherwork (now also partly in English! :) ).

Hi Petra

Yes, "Dummert/ Elysee" made outstanding writing articles. Their logo was a stylistic "D", which reminds on the founder Paul Dummert. Originally he was a jewelry maker in the Gold- town Pforzheim, Germany and built up his firm for fine writing equipment since 1925. The factory was destroyed during WW2 and recreated hardly after the war, now under Paul Dummerts son. 1970 Benzinger & Klein bought the firm and was taken over by Steadtler in 1989.

They made fine laque overlays and a lot of the outstanding technique inside came from "Reform" in Heidelberg.

Congrats, and: have fun with your new fountainpen.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Thanks for the information and links! I will pay more attention to Elysee pens, now that I know a little about them. Is there any chance that they'll ever be produced again? It's always sad when quality can't survive the marketplace, for whatever reason...

Petra

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have 4 of these on sale if anyone is interested. They are the same ones as the ones with the globe on but these ones have Tennis on them. I've put them on ebay.

Nadia

post-23300-1226249899_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I have an Elysee, bought in 1982, in Bahrain while on a Navy business trip. It is solid Malakite and gold, with a Fine nib. Anyone guess what it is worth these days?

I just bought an Elysee Caprice Empire here on FPN from adam11, who had two to sell. I haven't rec'd it yet, but when I do I'll post my impressions here.

I am very IMpatiently waiting...adam11 posted the pen immediately (thank you again!), but I guess it's stuck at customs. Grrr. I go through the hopehopehope...wilt cycle each day as I wait for and then check the mail, and find no pen. The mail hasn't come yet today, so there is hope!

-eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

I have an Elysee, bought in 1982, in Bahrain while on a Navy business trip. It is solid Malakite and gold, with a Fine nib. Anyone guess what it is worth these days?

Could you post some pictures?

Someone listed an Elysee pen just like this on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-Elysee-Marble-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nip-Original-Made-in-West-Germany-/300945827750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4611c4e7a6) with a starting bid of $99. However, this is not a top-of-the-line Elysee pen (or even a middle-of-the-line Elysee pen) and, except for someone who may like the green marble coloring or may really want/like the pen, the pen is worth less than $99. There are Elysee pens which are "higher" models than this pen which are listed for sale on eBay at lower starting bids or Buy It Now prices that are worth more than this pen. Overall, though, the value of the pen depends on the person who owns it or who wants to buy it.