The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Libelle Granite

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mike1

mike1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:03

This is a first for me. This is a review of a Libelle Granite.

1. First Impressions- This pen was given to me by my wife as a Father's Day gift. I had no idea she was going to give me a new pen. She wouldn't tell me what she paid, but she said it was on sale at Fountain Pen Hospital. This particular model must have been a closeout because I could not find it listed as current stock at any of the websites I visited. It came in what looks like a leather accented box. It has a masculine look to it. The pen came with one cartridge and a piston converter. I immediately went out to get some sepia ink for this pen because this pen's color calls out for sepia.
2. Appearance & Finish- This pen is put together with quality construction. I am a tool and die maker by trade and have worked in quality control as well and the trained eye recognizes quality when it sees it. This pen reeks of quality manufacturing practices. It looks like an expensive pen. The parts all go together very well and it looks as if it was put together with pride.
3. Design/Size/Weight- This pen was designed by person who knows what they are doing. It is precision engineered and close tolerances were maintained in its construction. The body of the pen is made of turned resin. It has the appearance of polished granite hence the name, "Granite." The cap is metal with a polished resin covering. The clip looks like it is a polished investment casting; it's solid. The cap screws on in both the capped and posted positions. When the pen is posted the nib and clip line up. It has a balanced feel in the writing position. This is a large pen. It measures 5 5/16 inches long when capped and 6 1/4 when posted. The body diameter is .545 of an inch. I have a small hand but this pen but has a good fit. It's heavy but balanced. It feels comfortable even after writing for an extended period. When writing with it unposted it handles well but I like it better in the posted position.
4. Nib Design & Performance- This pen has a medium nib. It is an iridium steel German nib. It is solid with little, if any, flex. It'd be a good pen for making carbons (dating myself here) or NCR duplicates. Pressure on this bad boy lays down a real wet line, and for this reason I'd say this is a guy's pen. Is this a sexist statement? The feed is injection molded plastic and the nib is a friction fit. I am impressed with this pen and thus far I am very satisfied with it. I've only had this pen for a short time, but I've been giving it a workout.
5. The Filling System- This pen uses short international cartridge. It comes with one black ink cartridge and a piston converter.
6. Cost/ Value- My wife finally confessed that she paid only $30 for this pen. I'd say this pen would be a good one for twice or three times this price.
7. Overall Opinion/ Conclusion- I like this pen! It is the first fountain pen that my wife has given me. So am I biassed? Perhaps yes, but if my opinion of this pen changes with time and use I'll report it here.

This is my first pen review and I hope to do others as I acquire new pens.

Attached Images

• Father__s_Day_2006_008.jpg

Edited by mike1, 20 June 2006 - 02:41.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Sponsored Content

#2 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:14

Any pen your spouse gives you had better get a glowing review!

Andy
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#3 Leigh R

Leigh R

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:43

Oh, could you post a picture?

:)

#4 mike1

mike1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,578 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:53

I don't have a digital camera yet, but my daughter does and so I'll borrow it. What an adventure this is becoming. I'll get to try something new today.

Edited by mike1, 18 June 2006 - 12:53.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

#5 mike1

mike1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 17:24

Here's a picture of this. I have learned a new trick here.

#6 zorroflores

zorroflores

Zorroflores

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:27

I have to let mi wife read Mike's report, that pen looks nice and the price is great,
congratulations!

#7 GoutamJois

GoutamJois

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:14

It looks like I'm about a year late in posting this review! I bought this pen in 2004 (around June?) It is by far my favorite fountain pen (that I've owned or written with, quite frankly). With good ink -- I use Private Reserve, Midnight Blues, Lake Placid Blue, or DC Supershow Blue (2005) -- the pen lays down a beautiful line. I have seen the newer Libelle pens but I just don't like how they look (I must confess I have not written with them). I paid about $70 for this pen and like it better than some Mont Blancs I've handled and also better than my second-favorite pen, a very similar handmade wood pen. I agree that the nib has little to no flex, but I haven't had that be a problem for me: the pen still writes and handles beautifully.

#8 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,534 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 15:53

Thanks for the review. You said it has a medium nib. Would you rate it as a true medium or on the fine side of medium?

#9 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2007 - 22:40

Thanks for the nice review, Mike...and congratulations on your pen! smile.gif
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#10 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 23:19

Excellent review and very thoughtful (and thrifty) wife!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#11 GoutamJois

GoutamJois

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 16:30

QUOTE (southpaw @ Aug 4 2007, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent review and very thoughtful (and thrifty) wife!

I just noticed the question posted after my review, and I would say this is more toward the 'fine' side of medium, at least the one I have.

#12 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 00:41

great review Mike. i've never seen that model before. it's quite pretty... enjoy your pen!!

Sponsored Content

|