The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot VP standard vs Pilot VP Decimo

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelD

MichaelD

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2006 - 16:52

Does anyone know if the nibs are the same for both pens?
If I purchased a Decimo and wanted a different nib size (F, M, Broad), would it have to be a Decimo nib or would a Pilot VP standard nib, which we can easily purchase in the US, work?

Thanks
Michael

Edited by MichaelD, 17 June 2006 - 17:59.

Sponsored Content

#2 Stephen-I-am

Stephen-I-am

Allergic to gold trim

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 17:43

I think you need to file down the knob that guides the nib unit into the pen body in the correct orientation for a VP nib to fit into a decimo body.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Stephen
Current Favorite Inks
Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

#3 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 18:02

Hi,

The nibs are the same and interchange. Decimo nibs run finer because they are (or were) for the Japanese market.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#4 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 21:41

hi,

in a prior discussion about the decimo, richard pointed out that the current vp nib unit has to be modified to fit the decimo. email richard as he can explain the modifications. he also can modify the nibs into italics etc. at the same time he modifies the unit to fit the decimo.

:eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka:

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

:ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

#5 Roger

Roger

FILCAO's Columbia. Photo:www.tryphon.it

• Member - Gold

• 1,388 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 22:11

Dillon is correct. The nib units are interchangable, but to use the twist converter with the nib unit in the Decimo a change must be made. That I'll leave to Richard to again explain. The bladder (aerometric type, but no breather) converter will, when used with the nib unit, fit either the Decimo or the current VP without modification.

As mentioned previously, the Decimo is furnished, in Japan, with an 18K nib unit, as opposed to the 14K nib unit that accompanies the current VP in the U.S. Don't know which nib unit will be provided with the Decimo when it is available in the U.S.
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

#6 Stephen-I-am

Stephen-I-am

Allergic to gold trim

• Member - Gold

• 1,023 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 22:14

I only use cartridges with the vanishing point, that I fill on my own, since I find it to be less of a problem. A VP nib with a cartridge and the metal sleeve that goes over the cartridge would just fit into a decimo as is then?

Stephen
Current Favorite Inks

#7 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,542 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:52

The nib units are interchangable, but to use the twist converter with the nib unit in the Decimo a change must be made.

The twist converter looks like it's the same length as the sac converter when inserted in the nib assembly, but the angle of the taper on the end is different. If you try to use a twist converter in a Decemo or the old plastic VP, the converter doesn't sit far enough into the button end. That pushes everything forward a bit, which means that the trap door gets pushed open ever so slightly, and the pen will dry out.

I preffer the sac converter that came with the Decemo as it holds more ink. (or seems to anyway!) Sac converters are supplied with the Decemo, and the Capless pens sold in Japan. I don't know why, but they don't seem to have the problem with the rubber swelling that the sac converters that came with the VP pens had.

A nib swap with my VP was the first thing I tried with my Decimo when I got it back in December.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#8 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2006 - 00:00

Dillon is correct. The nib units are interchangable, but to use the twist converter with the nib unit in the Decimo a change must be made.

I'm sorry, but this simply isn't right.

The décimo's nibs will work with no problems in an ordinary VP, but the VP nibs sold in the USA will not work in the décimo. The key on the side of the nib carrier, which slides along the slot in the barrel, will bind up against the inside surface of the décimo's barrel. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

The piston converter will work in a décimo -- it won't work in an older faceted plastic-bodied Namilki VP because there's a brass collar in the back part of the barrel to hold the mechanism in place. That collar's inside diameter is too small to pass the piston converter's metal housing, so the nib unit cannot retract far enough in these older pens.
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#9 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 00:43

The nib units are interchangable, but to use the twist converter with the nib unit in the Decimo a change must be made.

The twist converter looks like it's the same length as the sac converter when inserted in the nib assembly, but the angle of the taper on the end is different. If you try to use a twist converter in a Decemo or the old plastic VP, the converter doesn't sit far enough into the button end. That pushes everything forward a bit, which means that the trap door gets pushed open ever so slightly, and the pen will dry out.

I preffer the sac converter that came with the Decemo as it holds more ink. (or seems to anyway!) Sac converters are supplied with the Decemo, and the Capless pens sold in Japan. I don't know why, but they don't seem to have the problem with the rubber swelling that the sac converters that came with the VP pens had.

A nib swap with my VP was the first thing I tried with my Decimo when I got it back in December.

??

I had no problems...

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#10 Roger

Roger

• Member - Gold

• 1,388 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:02

I'm sorry, but this simply isn't right.

The décimo's nibs will work with no problems in an ordinary VP, but the VP nibs sold in the USA will not work in the décimo. The key on the side of the nib carrier, which slides along the slot in the barrel, will bind up against the inside surface of the décimo's barrel. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Well, I'm also sorry, Richard, but my tee shirt reads differently. I'm sittin' right here with both of the critters in hand. The nib unit from my current VP production, bought in the U.S. fits and operates without problems in the Decimo purchased from Japan. No binding is noted and the trap door operates with full range of motion in both directions.

The nib units with bladder converters interchange between the current VP and the Decimo without any perceptible differences. Only difference is the 14K vs. the 18 K nibs.

Could they have made a production change in the Decimo between when you bought yours and I bought mine?
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

#11 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:31

Could they have made a production change in the Decimo between when you bought yours and I bought mine?

I doubt it. The nibs I have bought directly from Namiki USA, within the past three months, do not work in my décimo. Rather than a change in the décimo, I suspect a change in the nib units. These that I have may be older than the décimo and may have been in stock for a long time, and nib units that they are making NOW may work.

My advice: be careful with the décimo. Check it when you put a nib unit from another pen into it, to be sure that it retracts completely, smoothly, and freely. The nib units I have do bind up! :)
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#12 Betty

Betty

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,216 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:26

Does that mean the Decimo is now available in the US?
Posted Image

#13 Roger

Roger

• Member - Gold

• 1,388 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 15:29

Rather than a change in the décimo, I suspect a change in the nib units. These that I have may be older than the décimo and may have been in stock for a long time, and nib units that they are making NOW may work.

That is a definite possibility and could explain Dillo and me not having a problem.

My advice: be careful with the décimo. Check it when you put a nib unit from another pen into it, to be sure that it retracts completely, smoothly, and freely. The nib units I have do bind up! :)

Caution is always a good idea. Don't never force nuthin'! :P

And for Betty... I don't think they are yet available in the U.S., but I think it was on this forum recently where someone said that it was in the works. But, if your patience is lacking, as mine was, that dealer that Richard cites above is very reliable and those of us who have used him have been pleased with the service.
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

#14 RyanL27

RyanL27

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 15:32

Roger - so which do you like better - the standard or the decimo?
"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."
- Baruch Spinoza

#15 Stephen-I-am

Stephen-I-am

Allergic to gold trim

• Member - Gold

• 1,023 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 16:00

And which color did you get? I'd like to see a better photo of the yellow than what I've seen so far.

Stephen
Current Favorite Inks

#16 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,542 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 16:13

Hmmm....

Must be the difference in the size of the "T" shirt. <_<

We'll have to try this in DC. I didn't have a problem at all with the nibs that I tried in my Decimo. I suspect that there may be variation, and that some of them allow a Namiki nib assembly to squeek by, and others mignt bind. Maybe you just got "lucky" Richard! ;)

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#17 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 17:40

hi,

the decimo yellow is a drab mustard to me. the pink is real pastelly--if that's a word. the blue is the only "vibrant" color. i heard that namiki will be introducing a new vp soon. I assumed it to be the decimo in "americanized colors. We'll see.
i will have to try that piston coverter in my decimo--is it the usual namiki converter?

:)9 :)9 :)9 :)9

:ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

:bunny1: :meow: :bunny1: :meow:

Edited by aunt rebecca, 21 June 2006 - 17:41.

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

#18 KCat

KCat

Honorary Administrator

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2006 - 17:51

hi,

the decimo yellow is a drab mustard to me.  the pink is real pastelly--if that's a word.  the blue is the only "vibrant" color.  i heard that namiki will be introducing a new vp soon.  I assumed it to be the decimo in "americanized colors.  We'll see.

if you look at the Japan Pilot site, you'll see the VP in grey. If you look at Pam's site, you'll see that she is taking orders for this new US color (but you have to call her re: price.) I'd have to see it in person. in the pics it looks far too "matte" and dark for my taste. But some might like it, especially with the rhodium furniture.

FPH image - scroll down to the fifth pen
http://www.fountainp...sp?CK=70&MFG=22

Edited by KCat, 21 June 2006 - 17:54.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#19 Roger

Roger

• Member - Gold

• 1,388 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 20:44

And which color did you get? I'd like to see a better photo of the yellow than what I've seen so far.

Stephen

I'm not likely to write a whole lot at a time, Ryan, so the fatigue factor of a heavy pen isn't much of a consideration, thus the current VP is fine by me, but the Decimo definitely has a sleeker look that is nice. Also, the extra girth and the placement of the clip doesn't bother me either, so I seem to fit pens much like I drink beer. There's no such thing as bad beer, cause even when it's bad, it's pretty good! :P My standard VP is the red with GT.

The colors of the Decimo, so far, have been pretty dull with Richard having probably the most flamboyant of the bunch! Being the laid back, low profile, condescending type :lol:, I opted for the grey mica Decimo.

Attached Images

• decimodkgraymica.jpg

Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

#20 Stephen-I-am

Stephen-I-am

Allergic to gold trim

• Member - Gold

• 1,023 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 21:15

if you look at the Japan Pilot site, you'll see the VP in grey.  If you look at Pam's site, you'll see that she is taking orders for this new US color

Ah, so it's grey. I'm unsure how excited I can get about grey. :(

Oh, for a red carbonesque or a mandarin yellow ...

Hey winedoc, when is that mandarin yellow pen of yours going to materialize? :P

Stephen
Current Favorite Inks

Sponsored Content

|