The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sabonis 192

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zeroblade

Zeroblade

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 14:48

I got this pen through a raffle from the pay it forward thread, and in exchange I'd write a (by now, long overdue) review about it. So here it is!

First impressions:

Before I got the pen, I did a bit of research and noticed that Sabonis is a pretty unknown brand from Mexico. Only small sites had (poorly labeled) stock of it, so I can assume it's not strongly marketed internationally just yet.
Upon reciept, the pen didn't come in a fancy-schmancy box, so I can't evaluate its packaging, if there was any at all. The pen itself was quite weighty, and on first glance, it's rather classy.

Appearance and Design:

It's quite the simple-looking pen, that's for sure. Chrome trim on black. The first thing that catches your eye is the inclined jewel - reminiscent of the Waterman Hemisphere's own cap top - with the lightning bolt 'S'. This was quite the clever way to really show off the brand without being too pretentious. It's classy and simple. The cap band, however, is a little distracting for me. "SABONIS" is engraved on it, which in a way looks okay, but I would've preferred it if the bands were kept completely clean because it does detract a bit from the minimalist design the rest of the pen has.
The cap does not... cap easily. It has to be aligned a bit exactly with the pen itself for it to click in, otherwise, it'll just snag at the edges. Furthermore, the cap doesn't quite post securely, and if you forcibly post, it might scratch or otherwise damage the barrel. Not exactly amusing. Not only that, the cap doesn't have an inner cap that also protects the screw for the jewel, which means that it may get stains later on as you use it.

Weight, Size, and Comfort:

I don't have accurate measurements, but if you've got a 51, just imagine a pen with about the same length and width, capped or uncapped, posted or otherwise. Despite its size the pen is pretty hefty. A little heavier than a Vanishing Point. That is to say, it's within my preferred range of weight, so it's alright with me. The section is just simple, smooth plastic, so it shouldn't bother anyone either, except maybe those who have a problem gripping smooth objects.

Filling System:

Cartridge/Converter, international-sized. Usually no big problem for me, but I only have one converter that can fit international-sized pens, which is a bit of a pain if I ever wanted to use another pen like it. But that's more a situational problem than anything else. It being fine-medium, I doubt it would run out within a day or two. Maybe half a week to a week, if you write with only it.

The Nib:

The Sabonis 192 comes with a plain steel nib. It's got the Sabonis logo on it, but all signs point to it being another "Iridium Point Germany" nib. That said, it's actually not so bad, compared to the other IPG pen I had, which was downright horrible. It's smooth and very stiff, which is to be expected from a contemporary nib.

Overall: 6.5/10

The 192 is not a bad pen at all, really, save for some parts of the cap's design. However, I'm the type that looks for the little something extra that gives some merit to the pen, and to be frank, this pen doesn't have that bit of oompff that I want. It's tough, elegantly designed, generally comfortable to use, and writes fine, but I guess it's not really for me.

Sponsored Content

#2 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2009 - 21:59

Nicely done. Sabonis is a strange company... I don't understand their model numbering nomenclature. I do like their logo, though. smile.gif

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#3 Kabe

Kabe

The Kabemeister is here

• Member - Gold

• 1,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2009 - 21:21

They are german, and seem to be only available in Mexico and Peru
The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;
I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;
If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Kabe

Kabe

The Kabemeister is here

• Member - Gold

• 1,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:21

wwhat's the ink form the sample?
The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;
I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;
If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 leandrobf109

leandrobf109

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 22:59

They are german, and seem to be only available in Mexico and Peru

Also available in Argentina. Kind regards,

Leandro.

#6 Kabe

Kabe

The Kabemeister is here

• Member - Gold

• 1,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2009 - 00:24

Weird...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 kurazaybo

kurazaybo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2011 - 16:23

I have two pens of the Sabonis brand, they are very well made and I really think the quality exceeds their price. I agree they may not be very exciting but they feel and work remarkably good. I have also seen Sabonis branded ink, will give it a try.

#8 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2011 - 17:17

nice pen!

#9 Kabe

Kabe

The Kabemeister is here

• Member - Gold

• 1,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2011 - 18:31

Have you seen the brand in Argentina, Martin?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:45

From time to time appears some specimens at Mercadolibre

Sponsored Content

|