The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

LAMY Safari Charcoal with EF - extra fine nib

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Edgar Allan Bo

Edgar Allan Bo

- ~ * ~ = Antique = ~ * ~ -

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:13

yay, my first review - I wasn't ready for a big review yet because I was too unsure of my english-skills (it's just my third (or even fourth)
language) but after a looong time here on FPN I learned alot and I'll try to describe a pen we all (should) know very well - a LAMY Safari!

The half of you has probably clicked the thread away by now biggrin.gif -> "Oh no, not AGAIN, a LAMY Safari review!" headsmack.gif

Yes, again and again and again... and I'm sure there will be many reviews of the Safari after this one, like there were allready many reviews
of it before this one!

But let's go to the important things - the pen itself:

I'm sure that allmost everyone of you owns (has owned - or at least has tried) a LAMY Safari! I choose the charcoal because it's the perfect
anti-bling pen - EVERYTHING on th epen is black (well, except the tiny iridium tipping point on the nib but it makes such a small BLING that I
can live with! tongue.gif )

The surface of the pen isn't a shiny polished black - it's textured and has some kind of a cool stealth look, I read alot comments that the grip
is better on this textured LAMY models but I don't feel any BIG difference to other Safaris with flat glossy surface... of couse it feels different,
but it's not better or worse...

The nib I choose is an EF = extra fine and it's a typical european extra fine... something that's rather a FINE on some other pens, but it's really
extra fine enough wo be called an extra fine... yes, there are variations between the LAMY nibs, too, some EF's are rather F's and some F's are
rather M's, but this EF is really a EF! thumbup.gif

Some of them can also be scrathy, here and there you can see some complaints about the Safari nibs and yes, I've also seen some scrathy
Safari nibs (most of them F's ans 1.1 italic nibs) but most of them were smooth, and this EF is just right - of course it CANNOT be as smooth
as a LAMY Medium nib but it it smooth and not scratchy at all...

The FIRST line is made with no pressure at all (or, normal writing pressure)... the SECOND line is made with pressure!

It's cut in a way that the sidestroke is broader that the downstroke, that's very common among the LAMY nibs (also on the 2000) and that's ok for me...

The Flow is very good, but a Safari is considered as a rather dry writing fountain pen... maybe it depends on the ink used with it, I have a standard LAMY
blue cartridge that came with the pen inside at the moment, and the flow is just right, rather wet than dry...

The special Safari-fingergrip is not everybodys darling, some of you even HATE it with passion mad.gif and some of you love it, it's really a
LOVE it or HATE it thing... I used "not to like it that much" but if you keep using it you adapt to it automatically (at least it was so in my case)
and now I quite like it, it helps me to find the right angle without even looking at the pen and adjusting it first on the paper... but I also can
understand those who don't like the grip because I have few different scripts and some of them aren't really a joy to write with the Safari-grip,
so I have to use the Safari-friendly scripts when I write with the pen!

So, this is it, my first review! Thank you for reading! thumbup.gif

Sponsored Content

#2 dashreeve

dashreeve

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:35

I have one if these and like it a lot, thanks for the review. I like the writing samples and the cool monkey pictures smile.gif

#3 UNDERDOG

UNDERDOG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:36

Nice. This was my first "real" fountain pen. Only a year a so ago. Can you be "nostalgic" after only a year?

#4 Cassandra

Cassandra

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:37

Thanks for the review - I have a charcoal safari myself, very very smooth in F.
I think that the yellow and charcoal are THE standard safaris biggrin.gif

Oh, love for the monkeys btw. wink.gif

#5 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:43

Uh! I can't stand that iridium tip, so flashy!!

Ah-ah, nice review. Those pictures remind me of some nice job done by QM2 some time ago with a Nakaya.
Well done!

Cheers,

#6 Bearcat

Bearcat

Careful with that Fountain Pen....You could put your eye out!

• Member - Gold

• 1,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:43

I have the clear Safari Demonstrator in my shirt pocket right now....been using it all day today. Still among my favorites.

Thanks for the Chimp photos......More here at http://www.bushorchimp.com/

Edited by Bearcat, 01 September 2009 - 19:45.

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

#7 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 20:24

Review #20 of the Lamy Safari! biggrin.gif

Very good review. I like the "monkey" motif. Is the pen so usable, even a monkey could write with it? When you hold the pen, do you want to write or monkey around? Or maybe, the monkey just makes a great companion on a Safari. wink.gif Nice job. thumbup.gif

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#8 rahulg

rahulg

Vintage is the future

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2009 - 14:52

Nice review, glad to know you like the Safari StealthEdition ™

Have fun!

#9 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:49

Love the photos =)

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#10 rookieboyliu

rookieboyliu

Sailor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:56

QUOTE (MYU @ Sep 1 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Review #20 of the Lamy Safari! biggrin.gif

Very good review. I like the "monkey" motif. Is the pen so usable, even a monkey could write with it? When you hold the pen, do you want to write or monkey around? Or maybe, the monkey just makes a great companion on a Safari. wink.gif Nice job. thumbup.gif

I think it's because there are monkeys in the Safari. Not the black kind though.
"Whenever elephants fight, it's always the grass that suffers" -African Proverb
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 andy1m

andy1m

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:43

Safari everywhere. I haven't owned one yet. It's always on my wish list. I prefer EF but harder to find here. Thanks for sharing this great looking pen!

#12 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:30

i have two (vista and charcoal). terrible section grip, at least for me!! otherwise, great pens.

#13 picautomaton

picautomaton

picautomaton

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2009 - 17:24

Agreed, roflmho.gif the pen is not loud at all other than the flashy iridium tip, silver etching on the nib and the gloss black paint on the clip. roflmho.gif

I would like to add that for a pen that isn't precious resin the engineering is - oh and if Lamy could add a completely round section to the Safari we would then have the close to perfect contemporary writing 'tool', no? thumbup.gif

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

#14 MOVIESTAR

MOVIESTAR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 16:14

i just love those monkey pictures
In the days gone by, people believed that if a person touched an object, that object would form a bond with a part of their soul.
Today such a thought seems almost absurd....Until you enter the realm of Montblanc's master craftsmen.
Montblanc - Soul makers for over 100 years

#15 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2009 - 14:10

Just picked up a Charcoal myself. Great review! Love the monkeys!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#16 Watercycle

Watercycle

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:25

the monkey pictures are what sold this pen

awesome review ^^

#17 isPen

isPen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2011 - 16:03

I have a Lamy Al Star which I liked so much..it convinced me to buy a shiney Black Safari for my Daughter and a shiney white Safari for my wife...They both love their little fountain monkey pens! I would have bought one for my 3 year old son, but he likes breaking walls and I don't think the nibs would take the punishment. Great review, like your style!
My sketchblog The Pen Mover

#18 blizzardras

blizzardras

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 16:30

the only problem i have with the lamy safari is the horrible nib creep. good review though!

#19 Hohn

Hohn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2011 - 17:44

Good review.

I have the Safari EF in blue. The nib was pretty scratchy at first, but it was mostly operator error. The EFs prefer a really light touch, and also want to be in the "sweet spot" too.

I'm using BSB in it, which probably doesn't help the smoothness all that much. It works for me, though. Safaris are addictive. I want one in every color and nib width, including italics... :)

Sponsored Content

|