Has anybody got this Chinese Duofold replica?

GeorgeSK

The Kaigelus do not have a screw cap -- they have a screw in converter.

I agree that's no Kaigelu I have seen before. I'd personally suggest going with a surer thing and buying a Kaigelu 322 for less than $20 from Todd.

It looks exactly like my Kaigelu 316 (different colour barrel) except that the Kangaroo is replaced with something else. And my 316 definitely has a screw-on cap.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• dogpoet

• yellowecho

• GeorgeSK

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I came across this open, which looks like a Duofold replica or copy on Ebay. The price is very tempting, around $13.

Has anybody got this pen? Can you share your experiences with this pen? Is it worth it?

Looks like the Bookworm I just mailed off to someone else. I liked it, and it was a good writer, but too heavy for me.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

A question for you apparently very satisfied Kaigelu owners.

How is the gold plating on the nibs and furniture holding up if any of you have had one in use for very long? One of the noticeably distinct

(to me anyway) weaknesses of even the nicer done Chinese pens has been their apparent use of plating about as thin as a kittens gasp.

The lure of a very nice perforning $20 pen is less if it looks like a worn out $10 one after 3 months of use.

What say yall?

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Bruce, I was lucky enough to be given my Kaigelu by a very generous FPN member when I sought to buy one. I'm not going to say it's in daily use, but I've had it for about 6 months or so, using it occasionally and it looks as good as new. It's a surprisingly good writer. The medium nib doesn't quite suit my current penchant for broads, obliques and stubs, but it's actually a very nice pen indeed and for that price - an absolute steal.

Bruce -

I hate to say it but I haven't had mine long enough, or used it heavily enough, to be able to answer your question. I can say however that 100% of my experience with my Kaigelu so far has been positive - surprisingly so in fact. (The size issue I mentioned above isn't the pen's fault really - it's meant to be a tiny pen!) I have heard of plating issues though on Kaigelu pens - plating being inaccurately applied and not sticking. I'm led to believe that they've improved on their quality control in the last 5 or so years though.

After I purchase the full-size, Duofold-esque Kaigelu and put it in my regular rotation I should have a much better idea of the brand's endurance...but that's not going to happen until after I purchase the Pelikan I've been hunting, unfortunately.

- Jon

I have a Huashilai as well, but haven't been happy with it at all. It's never written well.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have a Huashilai as well, but haven't been happy with it at all. It's never written well.

Which model, Silvermink? I have a 2375, and though the paint is coming off the cap and, to a lesser extent, the barrel (seemingly due to sweat getting under the paint at the machined indents in the cap or at the edge where paint meets chrome), it's one of the best writers I own; a nice, true F that's still so smooth that newspaper crosswords are a joy.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

This pen is not a Kaigelu, it is an Huashilai. (I mistakenly called it a Classic in an earlier post; shouldn't have trusted to memory). I have not inked mine, but my other Huashilai is just OK, though I think part of the problem is the horrible Noodler's Polar Black ink in it. The acrylic is quite lovely, with an iridescent effect. I have the Kaigelu, and it is quite different.

This pen is not a Kaigelu, it is an Huashilai. (I mistakenly called it a Classic in an earlier post; shouldn't have trusted to memory). I have not inked mine, but my other Huashilai is just OK, though I think part of the problem is the horrible Noodler's Polar Black ink in it. The acrylic is quite lovely, with an iridescent effect. I have the Kaigelu, and it is quite different.

Do you have a Kaigelu 322 by any chance? I'd love to know how the cap compares to the Kaigelu one.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Do you have a Kaigelu 322 by any chance? I'd love to know how the cap compares to the Kaigelu one.

No, I have the 316 and 336. The Huashlai is very close to the Kaigelu, which is slightly fatter and heavier. The nib on the orange Huashlai is larger than my other one and the feed is more complex. I bought mine from a different seller, I think ahai or gotoschool, for $8.49 with free shipping, listed under B31 CELLULOID 18KGP IRIDIUM MEDIUM. Worth a look, a very nice pen.

Which model, Silvermink? I have a 2375, and though the paint is coming off the cap and, to a lesser extent, the barrel (seemingly due to sweat getting under the paint at the machined indents in the cap or at the edge where paint meets chrome), it's one of the best writers I own; a nice, true F that's still so smooth that newspaper crosswords are a joy.

Seems to be called the Executive - this eBay auction is for the same pen.

I think even if it did write well I probably wouldn't use it much, because it's incredibly heavy, even heavier than my Jinhaos.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have the Kaigelu, and it is quite different.

Not from my Kaigelu 316 it isn't - I'm sitting here looking at it now - and apart from the barrel colour and the missing Kangaroo, it's an exact match! Unless I'm somehow being misled by the photo.

Edited by Aysedasi

Seems to be called the Executive - this eBay auction is for the same pen.

I think even if it did write well I probably wouldn't use it much, because it's incredibly heavy, even heavier than my Jinhaos.

That's pretty heavy. Are we talking the huge Commerative Jinhaos, or the smaller less showy ones?

The Kaigelu 316 and this Huashlai are very similar, but the Kaigelu has a marbled screw-on cap, not a black click on. They are about the same size but every part is different in length, diameter etc. The Executive is not the same pen, it is of cheaper construction. The B31 or whatever it is really called, approaches the Kaigelu in quality. Here are some auctions:

Item # 150369587407 Currently $3.25 + Free Shipping

Item # 350247655900 Currently $0.99 + Free Shipping

Item # 150328168667 Buy it Now $12.88 + Free Shipping

The Kaigelu 322 does not have a screw on cap but other than finish looks pretty much just like the 316. I think I need to just buy one of these mystery pens and compare since I own one 322 and have another on its way.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this thread I couldn't resist buying one for £5 post free. It was listed on an eBay auction as B31 Celluloid Iridium Medium Point.

My first impression when I opened the packet was surprise. It is wider than I expected and heavy. Almost exactly the same length as a Pilot VP, but much wider. It is solidly made and of better quality than other Chinese pens I have handled.

I filled it with Herbin Terre De Feu and started writing. It skipped and was just a little scratchy, but only a little. I wrote a few words on some Micromesh and now it is quite smooth.

The skipping was annoying even after an overnight soak. I took the feed out and the scrapped out the ink channel which is very narrow near the tip. On putting it back together I filled it with Diamine Chocolate Brown. It is much improved and while it still skips a little, it's acceptable.

It is a good looking and usable pen but because of it's weight, I think it would be uncomfortable to use for extensive note taking. However, for £5 it is great value for money

I came across this open, which looks like a Duofold replica or copy on Ebay. The price is very tempting, around $13.

Has anybody got this pen? Can you share your experiences with this pen? Is it worth it?

Huashilai pen company.

From their eBay ad "This fountain pen is made by Chinese famous factory to make it look and feel like most famous designer brands. With outstanding craftsmanship & incredible details, this high precision writing instrument will definitely makes you full of confidence whenever you use it .it will make your writing an enjoyable & fun experience!"

How could you go wrong????!!!

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship