The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Regarding Esterbrook repairs...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 20:36

BTW, I'd point out that if you live in the USA and order from Wood Bin, you'll pay a 3% currency exchange fee to his bank, and another to your own, and then you might have two wait two weeks or more for your package to clear US customs. I think PayPal will reduce the exchange fee (it'll eliminate it if he has a US dollar PayPal account), and the Customs delay is semi-random. They don't always stop packages.

Woodbin's PayPal is in US dollars (like the prices on their web site), so there's no conversion cost for Americans.

I'd guess that the US has an official exemption threshold for low-value imports, but have no idea what it is (here it's $20 for commercial goods).

Good to know; if I order from Wood Bin again, I'll be sure to use PayPal to pay instead of paying directly with Visa.

FWIW, my order from Wood Bin was under $15, even after the 3% fee applied by his bank (the one from my own bank wouldn't have shown anywhere but my own bank statement), and my order took almost exactly two weeks longer than first class mail from just this side of the border would have (i.e. one day short of three weeks, instead of 4-5 working days).

Edit to clarify: I was not charged any import duty -- that threshold, IIRC, is $50 or higher, maybe much higher for US and Canada since NAFTA -- but my package was held up, and US Customs is the only reasonable place that could have occurred.

Edited by ZeissIkon, 20 September 2009 - 20:38.

Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

Sponsored Content

#42 jcasapiedra

jcasapiedra

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 18:40

I have a ESTERBROOK LJ Icicle with ESTERBROOK printed on the pocket clip but nothing printed on the body. It has a broken j-bar but the nib seems ok. All I want is a fountain pen not a hobby so if you are interested and would like to offer to buy or trade me for a working fountain pen let me know.

Wow. A SJ Icicle. You don't see those everyday. I wouldn't let that one get away from you LITM.

PS Don't lose the pieces of the broken j-bar, you can use them to size the replacement with.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#43 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 19:04

I have a ESTERBROOK LJ Icicle with ESTERBROOK printed on the pocket clip but nothing printed on the body. It has a broken j-bar but the nib seems ok. All I want is a fountain pen not a hobby so if you are interested and would like to offer to buy or trade me for a working fountain pen let me know.

Where are you located?

I could handle a pen trade.

Todd
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#44 ladyinthemists

ladyinthemists

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2009 - 21:26

what color is your Estie icicle?

She who laughs, lasts 

#45 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 21:27

what color is your Estie icicle?

I have six of the seven colors.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#46 Will Thorpe

Will Thorpe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 00:03

I wouldn't do that, fool with the yellow pen. The pastel pens have a plastic that gets very brittle. If the pen is filling with ink and not leaking I would leave it alone, big chance of cracking the barrel getting the section out. I've done sacs and bars on a few hundred Esties and cracked many a pastel pen. Maybe I'm just clumsy, your mileage may vary.

Sponsored Content

|