The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Regal Charles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xena

xena

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:07

I recently purchased a very nice Regal Charles pen from Dash Reeve in the market place. I was very impressed by this humble pen, and had been intrigued by it since I first started looking for inexpensive fountain pens.

Appearance: 10/10

The body is a beautiful blue purple lacquered brass, with a nicely executed filigree- with a dragon imprint (for England and St. George?) The cap has a subtly patterned band on top, and a royal crest as a cap jewel. Overall, it is a heavy and well executed pen.

Nib 8/10

Very nice, but not what i was expecting. It is actually like an extra fine; the attached pictures are written with the pen, and the writing resulting from this nib is as thin as a ball point or similar. There is a slight bit of feed back. Overall, there was a fair bit of attention to detail in this nib- it claims to be 18 k goldplated.

Filling System 5/10

This pen is a cartridge converter- fits international standard cartridges short and long. There is an included converter, but it is not terribly high capacity. Nothing wrong with it, but in general i am an integrated fill kinda gal. It does operate flawlessly however, so i should be a little nicer to it.

Overall Value and Performance 10/10

This pen was $10 total in the marketplace. It is heavy, well-balanced and elegant. At this pricepoint, it is definitely one of the best available, and certainly edges out both heroes and dukes as far as i am concerned.

Edited by xena, 31 August 2009 - 17:48.

Sponsored Content

#2 JeanMichelF

JeanMichelF

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:23

Regal pens are made by a Taiwanese company. Very good and sometimes even gorgeous. smile.gif
JM

#3 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:24

i have an edward series one i bought from isellpens. it's... well, ok!!
i've seen them at this ebay site and they have them at a very good price: http://stores.shop.e...634Q2ec0Q2em322 (no affiliation)

thanx for the review, xena!

Edited by lovemy51, 01 September 2009 - 01:25.

#4 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• 4,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2010 - 22:15

I received a Regal Windsor today. I was buying a bulk order of exotic items from this store http://shop.ebay.ca/...=&_trksid=p4340 (no affiliation). As I was paying shipping for my bulk order anyway, I decided to throw one in to try. I have seen this same pen at my normal supplier isellpens.com (no affiliation) for a very reasonable price and was curious to see what these pens were like. My first impression is of a very well constructed pen that is worth the money. It is smooth to the touch, but heavy. Most of the weight is in the cap. I would not be surprised if there was a lump of lead in it. The nib is a very smooth medium-broad. It is a very pretty pen made of multicolored acrylic, with a black cap. It writes a nice broad wet line, but can be slow to start. Once started it never skips. It posts well and is evidently intended to be used posted. Unposted, it feels too short and too light for my large hands. If I have left it for 10 minutes after writing, it will not start immediately, unless I wet the tip. As soon as I do that it is off to the races. I shall use this pen for a few weeks then see what I think of it.

#5 xena

xena

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 21:10

I received a Regal Windsor today. I was buying a bulk order of exotic items from this store http://shop.ebay.ca/...=&_trksid=p4340 (no affiliation). As I was paying shipping for my bulk order anyway, I decided to throw one in to try. I have seen this same pen at my normal supplier isellpens.com (no affiliation) for a very reasonable price and was curious to see what these pens were like. My first impression is of a very well constructed pen that is worth the money. It is smooth to the touch, but heavy. Most of the weight is in the cap. I would not be surprised if there was a lump of lead in it. The nib is a very smooth medium-broad. It is a very pretty pen made of multicolored acrylic, with a black cap. It writes a nice broad wet line, but can be slow to start. Once started it never skips. It posts well and is evidently intended to be used posted. Unposted, it feels too short and too light for my large hands. If I have left it for 10 minutes after writing, it will not start immediately, unless I wet the tip. As soon as I do that it is off to the races. I shall use this pen for a few weeks then see what I think of it.

I find the Oxford, Windsor and Elizabeth quite striking, and hoping to hear more about your adventures.

#6 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• 4,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2010 - 21:16

I find the Oxford, Windsor and Elizabeth quite striking, and hoping to hear more about your adventures.

You can read my test here http://www.fountainp...ost__p__1417906 :ltcapd:

#7 EMM

EMM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 15:53

I love Regal, my fav is the Elizabeth and Cambridge.
New Mexico Pen Collector's Club / InkDrop Member since 8/23/2010

#8 Twoodi

Twoodi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:06

I have an Regal Edward that I enjoy writing with - it has a lovely nib although a little slim in the barrel for me.
I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!
"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|