The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montegrappa

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YesIamnotiamnit

YesIamnotiamnit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 19:31

While I'm still evaluating the Montegrappas I don't think there will be any real change in my opinion. The section flares out about 30% of the way up and the flare continues into the barrel. It isn't uncomfortable but it does take a little getting used to. They are actually pretty comfortable with a nice feel and good balance. They need to be held on the flare or else one's fingers would be right by the nib.

I have 2 Medium and 2 Fine nibs and the M nibs are definitely smoother. The M nibs are pretty smooth though not as smooth as an Oscarson or a well adjusted S.T. Dupont. Still, they are rather nice for the price and have a bit of flex. They (M nibs) tend to put a somewhat wide line on HP 32lb laser printer paper.

The F nibs aren't toothy, just not as smooth as the M nibs. One F is somewhere in between the other F and the M nibs. The F that has a bit of drag gets smoother as the pen angle to the paper gets more perpendicular. It is also a slow starter with thin flow until it gets going and then is okay as long as one continues to write without any real pauses. If allowed to sit for even a minute it returns to having to be "primed" again. Not really a good nib. If one don't mind holding a pen more upright it becomes a bit smoother. The other F, however, is fine, writing "first time every time". The nibs are interchangeable so, for me, it's not really a problem. Creep has not been a problem regardless of ink used which has included Private Reserve, Diamine, Caran d'Ache and J. Herbin.

The converter screws in which I like. The pens seem to flush more easily and more quickly than other pens I've ever owned and definitely quicker than any of my current pens.

The rating below is for both nibs combined of the size. Separately, the F nibs are about a 5.5 and a 2.5 Personally, I like the looks of the Argento better which is why they did not get a combined "10" rating. Separately the Miya rates an 8 and the Argento a 10.

Assessment:

Looks: 9
Fit and Finish: 10
M nibs: 8
F nibs: 4

Overall: 7.75

He who says he knows but does not act does not yet know.
  ~ Wang Yangming

When I grow up I want to be just like Calvin.

~ Me

Sponsored Content

#2 Bentley

Bentley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 19:42

Thanks for the review. I have been curious about this brand.

#3 MOVIESTAR

MOVIESTAR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 14:13

Nice review
In the days gone by, people believed that if a person touched an object, that object would form a bond with a part of their soul.
Today such a thought seems almost absurd....Until you enter the realm of Montblanc's master craftsmen.
Montblanc - Soul makers for over 100 years

Sponsored Content

|