Lamy Safari: Medium or Fine nib

writebyhand

QUOTE (writebyhand @ Aug 29 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which is better for everyday writing?

It depends on your writing style and really the luck of the draw when it comes to Safari nibs. Personally, a <M> nib is too wide for my everyday writing, but it is really smooth. On the other hand, I had a <F> nib, and although it did write thin enough, it just wasn't all that smooth. Also, there seems to be a variability in quality control when it comes to Safari nibs: for example, sometimes you'll get a <F> that writes more like a <M> and vice-versa.

I have a lamy safari <M> which writes like a fine. I just found out its a QC defect when i attended a pen meet-up and got to use other lamy safaris with <M> nib.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• writebyhand

• Arts11

• inkstainedruth

• RazorJack

I have a Safari with an F nib and an LX with an M nib (it was one of the closeout deals on Lamy.usa.com and I paid less for it than I did for the Dark Lilac Safari!).

Both nibs are very smooth, albeit nails. I haven't actually done a side by size comparison with the two pens (the LX still has the cartridge that came with the pen in it, because I didn't get another converter until the Baltimore Pen Show a couple of weeks ago). But yeah, what most people said -- European nibs do tend to run wider than their Japanese equivalents, if that's what the OP is asking.

I did try an EF nib at one of the tables in the hallway at the Ohio Pen Show last fall, but thought it was very scratchy.

I think that if you put the pens side by side, I'd have a slight preference for the Safari, and a very slight preference for the F nib. I don't have an al-Star to compare, but in my experience of handling them, the flanges on the section are way sharper on the al-Star (I had considered getting one of the new Vibrant Pink models, but didn't care for the color when I actually saw the pens in person). But that's a personal decision (I didn't like the Petrol Safaris either).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I got a F nib with my first Safari, but had it swapped for a M shortly after. On my second Safari, cp-1 and 2000 I got all B nibs. So obviously I prefer a B nib even for daily use :D

I bought a Safari in EF, when they normally come with the M nib. Guess what, I have a M nib on it now.

The source of my Safari was also offering new pens in any available Lamy nib, even the 'A' - Anfanger beginners nib.

The pen seems to write slightly dry, but may be down to the inks. I have tried a fair selection.

The stock Lamy blue cartridge is a nice safe blue. I kept the empty cartridge to refill if I wished to.

Personally I think the Lamy blue is really too light and "watery" or I guess unsaturated. It looks even more dull when dried on the paper :(

Personally I think the Lamy blue is really too light and "watery" or I guess unsaturated. It looks even more dull when dried on the paper :(

That's what I thought about the cartridge which came with my Dark Lilac Safari a couple of years ago. Weirdly, though, the cartridge which came with with the LX, though, seems to be a lot more saturated. :huh:

That being said, I will happily replace it with a converter and bottled ink when the cartridge is used up. And I've really liked Pacific Blue and Dark Lilac, and am looking forward to opening the bottle of Vibrant Pink when I get a chance....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I tried the different nibs available. Then I put EF on all of my Safaris. If I want something else, changing nibs is easy.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have all the nibs and tried them. I would suggest a Fine for writing small and small spaces, M for careless, fast doodling for big estates of paper. My Lamys are all fitted with 1.1mm nibs.