How safe is it to PayPal someone some money and hope for a pen?

Kurtorius

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beechwood

• Kurtorius

• pathobby

• Yuki Onitsura

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

how safe is it to buy a pen advertised here? Any tips on how I can mitigate against scams?

reputation of the person and if you are really concerned dont buy or ask for a reference from some one

Generally, people around here are quite honest, especially some of the more frequent sellers around. But if you're not sure about their reliability, just ask for some references or don't buy.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Generally, people around here are quite honest, especially some of the more frequent sellers around. But if you're not sure about their reliability, just ask for some references or don't buy.

Yuki

:yikes: kismet

Hmm thanks, was getting tempted by an offer from a brand new member, but hes in the same country I think so it may be possible to deal in person. Have to ask my wife first though, heh.

Hmm thanks, was getting tempted by an offer from a brand new member, but hes in the same country I think so it may be possible to deal in person. Have to ask my wife first though, heh.

Clearance from the wife is a most important step! :thumbup:

Clearance from the wife is a most important step! :thumbup:

I second to that. :D

Other pens available for sale:

Pelikan : Keep a watchout here, M805 FPs, M400 and M405 FPs,

I haven't had any trouble but then again I've been in the market for low end pens.

I second the advice to get references and check them out.

I third the advice to get references if you are uneasy. That said I've been dealing on FPN (both buying and selling) for the past 3 years and I've only had one problem (and that was even solved at the end). People here are generally honest and reputable. You can probably tell if the deal is legit, if it's too good to be true..it probably is!

-Tom

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

It helps if you find they've actually posted about fountain pens and own some, rather than listing an expensive limited edition as their first post with either no pictures or pics taken from a hapless dealer's website and no proof they actually OWN said pen.

One thing you might keep in mind. PayPal only warranties items bought on eBay, not privately. So if you use PayPal to cover a new pen and the sale doesn't work, you can appeal to PayPal's Dispute Resolution Centre and if there is money in the seller's account they may reimburse you. In one case, I bought a piece of electronics for $ 300 only to find that there was no PayPal support since the crook who sold me the unit had emptied his credit card balance.

Fortunately my VISA here in Canada has protection against such fraud and so I received the money back from them. I don't know if the same situation exists where you live.

I would go along with the advice you have all ready received regarding references, checking out dealers and then buying. You will lose some articles as that all takes time, but you won't lose money as easily.

I have bought books, occasionally expensive ones from all over the world for many years and had only two dealers cheat. In general, I think it is safe to buy in this venue. From what I have seen in the short time since I joined the FPN, the people are friendly, decent and honest. And they have some gorgeous pens, many of which I couldn't afford to buy, but certainly can admire!

Good luck in your own buying.

Edited by herschm

• 3 weeks later...

There are also some issues with buyers that we should be aware of with Paypal as well. I sold a few pens on Ebay some time ago. One was a NOS early Parker 75 cap actuated vermeil bp. The purchaser bought it with the BIN option and paid via Paypal using his credit card. I sent the pen off and he responded after receiving the pen that he loved it and gave me great feedback. About a week later I received a message from Paypal stating that his credit card company upon his request withdrew his payment. I emailed the fellow and he explained the pen was faulty because the "spring was the correct one". I haven't heard that one before. I then searched the completed auctions he was involved in and found that he had won an auction for the same pen at a lower price. Buyers' remorse. So I said return the pen, I will return your positive feedback and we'll call it even. To this day, almost four years later, no pen and no money. This guy was a real gem.

But that was on Ebay where I don't sell anything anymore for this reason as well as their outrageous fees. Here on FPN you get to know your "pen friends" and build a reputation. Then it makes it easier to pull the trigger on a purchase under these circumstances. Sorry to go on and on and........ I'll shut up now. :unsure:

May all your pen transactions be happy ones!

Ashley

NORTHERN LIGHTS PENS

I have bought only a few lower tier but interesting pens (for me at any rate!) on FPN and I have had nothing but very good experience and often great kindness.

People have offered me (in one case) an extra pen for the same cost... in another case a free pen and some interesting nibs...another person offered me good advice... one person offered to sell me something and when it was not quite what I wanted it was no big deal to him.

These are good, kind, nice, decent people. I have no doubt that 99.999% of the people using this board are like that.

PH

Edited by pathobby