The M90 - Pilot's Gracious

dandelion

Well, I'm the happy owner of one and I love the nib - for quick note-taking on the run, a toothy nib is ideal.

The only problem I have is that the cap fit on the section is a little too loose, so I can't use it the way I intended: in the elastic of my Ciak notebook.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• mirko

• PatientType

• troglokev

great looking pen and review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Interesting that some here have experienced this to be toothy. My (wholly untampered) M90 with a fine nib did write very smooth (and precise, but absolutely not toothy - precise as in a firm nib) out of the box and have written very well ever since I got it. I wonder if these tooth experiences are due to lemons among the M90. I saw that some also have experienced flow problems, and - during my more than six months of extensive and intensive use - my M90 has a next to perfectly balanced flow. About the correlation between nib size and toothiness there is correlation, but I see it more due to the fact that a F/EF (esp if they are as narrow as the Japanese nibs) needs more perfection to be smooth since it is more unforgiving than a broader nib. I have experienced a few factory made Japanese fine and extra fines (Pilot and Sailor) and the nibs have been unbelievable smooth - right out of the boxes for all of them. So, I'd actually say that those of you who experience that the M90 is toothy have gotten lemons and that I think you might consider contacting Pilot about it.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Mine was horrible out of the box, but is now working perfect.... I found I had to flush it about 7-10 times and then soak it for about 30 minutes.... after this it has worked perfectly as far as flow goes. I never had any "toothy" issues to start with, just flow. I believe I had some of the manufacturing oils in mine when I first opened it.

Anyways, flows and writes great now. Amazing lil pen and looks sexy to boot!

By the way, dandelion, I meant to say earlier: Thank you for this review! :) I so want this pen. I hope they will be available somewhere when next I can afford to purchase a new pen. :crybaby:

Mine was horrible out of the box, but is now working perfect.... I found I had to flush it about 7-10 times and then soak it for about 30 minutes.... after this it has worked perfectly as far as flow goes. I never had any "toothy" issues to start with, just flow. I believe I had some of the manufacturing oils in mine when I first opened it.

Anyways, flows and writes great now. Amazing lil pen and looks sexy to boot!

mine did get much wetter by the end of the first cartridge.

I am still wondering where can I find one of these wonderful M90s.

Reading your wonderful review and all the comments simply makes me

even more excited at the thought of this pen.

...(edit)

I don't know how you feel about ebay - some people love it, some hate it (etc etc) - but it's one of the few places where you can find M90s on a regular basis.

Of course, there is also the FPN sales section, where a reasonably priced example was sold just recently.

...(edit)

I don't know how you feel about ebay - some people love it, some hate it (etc etc) - but it's one of the few places where you can find M90s on a regular basis.

Of course, there is also the FPN sales section, where a reasonably priced example was sold just recently.

True. It's not hard to find, just going to have to pay a little more. 175 is about reasonable now, considering that it's becoming harder to find and there are still people looking for it.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

just bought mine from mainstreet pens ( think i got that right) for $165, a more than decent price, after following the prices on ebay. not sure if they have any more though. what i got is a F nib. you can get the M nib online from Aesthetic Bay, Singapore.

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

• 1 month later...

REally outstanding review. I will get myself a M90 next time i buy a pen. Great review!!!!

Thank you! It is still one of my favourites and it is well worth its price. :)

This is THE pen. My M nibbed M90 has a CON-50 converter and just loves Iroshizuku inks. It goes everywhere with me and is my workhorse pen. It is amazing the comments you get from other people when you pull it out of your pocket and start writing with it.

Thanks for your excellent review.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, so much has/had been said about this pen when it came out that I simply had to have one - if for no other reason than the fact that the shape is unique and mesmerizing. It has been with me in my briefcase pen case ever since (about a year ago?). I too was really worried that the bleepin' thing would get all slippery on me, but that is just not the case. And I was equally concerned that the built-in nib would be a nail that tore through paper. That is not the case either. Basically, mine wrote immediately, right out of the box, with some Sailor Blue, and I was simply blown away. There's something about its line that I find really, really, really "me."

But there is one annoyance that keeps it in the bag more often that I'd like: it leaks. Not a lot, but enough to irritate me. It seems to happen with long-term use, when the temperature inside comes up. I can't tell you how many times I've opened the thing to find a big, nasty puddle of blue in the cap. I've made sure the pieces are snug - as some have suggested - but it just keeps doing it. Anyone else have this problem who could offer help? With my revitalized eagerness to write some more, I think I'll swap inks; maybe that'll help....

BUT!!! Let it be said that this M90 pen is just about perfect for me in many ways. Its convenience, its line; love the shape. Bravo Pilot!

I've had four of these pens. And, I carry them on hot days, cold days and rainy days. They've traveled inked in my breast pocket, clipped in a notebook case, and even on airplanes (loaded with a cartridge). No leaks yet.

Hello there enricoF! Your photo shows exactly what has happened to me (quite lamentably) with my own M90. A total mess. As a result, I've lost confidence in it. Don't get me wrong: I LOVE the pen itself, but I really just can't stand that it vomits all over itself at any sort of pressure and/or temperature change. Waaaa. Still, it stays with me just 'cuz it's so darn cool!

It is an awesome pen - not my most expensive, but definitely one of my favourite. It has the "intelligent design" quality (no, not that intelligent design!) that is so unusual: perfect form, perfect function, and the feeling that it would survive a nuclear winter.

My F nib is a bit too dry for my taste, but this has not dulled my pleasure or satisfaction - since I got it it is my go-to workhorse. Absolutely no regrets...

Too many pens; too little writing.

It is an awesome pen - not my most expensive, but definitely one of my favourite. It has the "intelligent design" quality (no, not that intelligent design!) that is so unusual: perfect form, perfect function, and the feeling that it would survive a nuclear winter.

Excellent put!

M90 and Capless are my "most carried pens". I always have one (or both) of them with me, for quick writing needs.

Their are not my "most used pens", as I found traditional (large, unposted) pens more comfortable. 

Exactly! The M90 is, perhaps, the ultimate pocket pen. Beautiful, sleek, reliable, small to carry, medium-sized for writing, and versatile in being cartridge or converter. When doing errands, heading to a meeting, or traveling to a conference across the continent the Pilot M90 is as close to ideal as I can imagine.

However, when I sit down to my desk, I'm much more likely to be holding my Pilot 823.