The M90 - Pilot's Gracious

dandelion

For another place to purchase this pen in the U.S., try Pam Braun at Oscar Braun Pens, where I got mine (no affiliation, etc.).

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• mirko

• PatientType

• troglokev

Great review. Loved your pictures!

<b>Montblanc</b>: 149 M

<b>Visconti</b>: Wall Street LE F, Van Gogh M Cursive Italic

<b>Parker</b>: Yellowstone DJ 51, 51 1943 Vac, 51 Aero, Vac 1946

<b>Pelikan</b>: 405 Binder Stub, 405 Binder xxf/xxxf Flex DuoPoint , 405 EF

<b>Aurora</b>: 88K

<b>Stipula</b>: Etruria Amber F

<b>Sheaffer</b>: Lifetime Triumph 1942-48

<b>Sailo</b><b>r</b>: Professional Gear EF

<b>Esterbroo</b>k: J, SJ

<b>Waterman's</b>: Ideal 55

<b>Pilot</b>: Faceted Vanishing Point F, Stealth VP OB Mottishaw Stub

:thumbup:

Your photos are stunning and your review is impressive. It's clear you spent some time collecting your thoughts and imagining your photos, and your effort paid off tremendously. Many thanks for your hard work. I've been sniffing around this pen for some time, and I think your review is just the push I needed to grab one for myself. Well done!

:blush: I am overwhelmed by all positive response - thank you!

I did walk an extra mile for this review. I felt like - since it is such a special pen - I had to try to do the pen justice; especially in the photos and capture a glimpse of the feel of this pen. It was very hard making a balanced judgment/grading. 9/10 is a very good grade, but I have given the same/similar grade to pens that in retrospect wasn't really worth it- it is a very tricky business. But at the same time I didn't want to give it a 10/10 all over - because that is not true, either.

A couple of things that I forgot to mention is that it is so lovely that this pen is not only a design piece - it is made to function - and function well, which also enhances the perception of the design. I also must say that one thing that really mesmerizes me with this "simple" design is that it is almost impossible to play tricks to make it look better than it is. An overloaded/ornamented blingy pen is a little bit like decorating a cake - you can always cover flaws and trick the eye (some of my best cake decorations has actually developed from flaws/mistakes that I had to find a way to hide...) but with this design that is not possible and that makes it very special.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Petra, welcome to the M90 owners' club. I love mine and I will not part with it. This pen is a classic. For all the reasons you state in your review.

Thanks for the review.

I clip my M90 on my pocketless shirt. This pen is the perfect size for a pocketless shirt. I don't have to worry about uncapping the pen by mistake while carrying it on my shirt. With a screw type cap, there is always a chance the cap will get loose and drop off to the ground (if it is clipped to the shirt) or lie in the shirt pocket staining the shirt in a major way.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Great... something else on my want list.

Where's a good place to buy these with fine nibs? John Mottishaw ran out of them... and Ujuku is hard to navigate through...

I had mine (fine nib) shipped to Edmonton from Fountain Pen Hospital, and they were very quick about it.

A very well-written review and spectacular pictures.

This is the first time I've responded to my own post. Petra's powerful post potently posited positive proclivity per particular pen purchase. Thanks in large part to YOU I now own an M90 which is on it's way in the mail. I think that Pilot should buy your post, pictures text and all, and send it to all their venders to display. The 9,000 Pilot M90 pens available world-wide would be sold by Thursday.

A very well-written review and spectacular pictures.

This is the first time I've responded to my own post. Petra's powerful post potently posited positive proclivity per particular pen purchase. Thanks in large part to YOU I now own an M90 which is on it's way in the mail. I think that Pilot should buy your post, pictures text and all, and send it to all their venders to display. The 9,000 Pilot M90 pens available world-wide would be sold by Thursday.

Thank you so much, PT. :blush: I hope your pen flies fast to you and that you won't be disappointed.

O , in case someone from Pilot reads this - feel free to drop me a PM... :)

Mine arrived today after a tantalizing week of waiting before it got cleared through customs.

A very beautiful pen indeed, your photo's do it every justice! And fortunately the jewel on top is very discrete, I don't like bling.

One thing I noticed that disappoints me a bit:

even after having just tried if very briefly I alreay see scratchmarks on the pen from capping and uncapping. Of course that is very minor and not at all visible to others on such a brushed steel pen, but I notice...

Do you see those as well?

Thanks,

Mirko

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)

Mine arrived today after a tantalizing week of waiting before it got cleared through customs.

A very beautiful pen indeed, your photo's do it every justice! And fortunately the jewel on top is very discrete, I don't like bling.

even after having just tried if very briefly I alreay see scratchmarks on the pen from capping and uncapping. Of course that is very minor and not at all visible to others on such a brushed steel pen, but I notice...

Thanks,

Mirko

I checked my pen and if I look closely I can see tiny traces. They don't bother me, but I'm on the other hand pretty shortsighted - like a mole. :) Maybe someone else here know any tricks on how to prevent these traces.

I checked my pen and if I look closely I can see tiny traces. They don't bother me, but I'm on the other hand pretty shortsighted - like a mole. :) Maybe someone else here know any tricks on how to prevent these traces.

Those are most probably the scratches one only sees when something precious is brand new. Because the M90 IS something preciousssss!

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)

I love my M90, but I've recently been severely disappointed about it's performance with regards to changes in altitude.

Have a look to this topic (post 1 and 15, specifically):

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...p;#entry1222961

I repost here the horrible pic:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/stelvio-2.jpg

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Yes, I have the little scratches. I'm not sure what's scratching, as the inside is plastic.