Help with my 51

OldGriz

I am not complaining... this is a (GAG, CHOKE, SPUTTER :rolleyes: ) very nice writing pen and I do like it... the XF nib writes smoothly and reasonably wet.

I cleaned it very well including 2 cycles in the UC and it flushed absolutely clear...

It is filled with Parker Quink Black ink. I decided to let the feed really soak up ink a couple of days before asking for help.

If I have not used the pen for a couple of hours, it takes a couple of small strokes to get the ink flowing... once it starts, the pen writes wonderfully and smoothly...

I don't have this problem on any of my other 51s or 21s...

Any suggestions.....

I mean other than selling it to a FPNer for what I paid for it.. :P :P

Edited by OldGriz

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• JimStrutton

• tryphon

• sonia_simone

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of the black Quink and try the pen with some good ink (such as Waterman). I know that this may sound like heresy, given that Parker has always made a point of stating that their pens are adjusted for best performance with Quink, but I've dealt with too bloody many cases of problematic flow in pens that were filled with black Quink. One I'll never forget was a Parker 75 Ciselé. I adjusted it and smoothed the nib using my standard ink, Waterman Blue-Black, and sent it home. The client said it still wasn't working, and I asked what the ink was. Black Quink. The pen came back to me. I loaded it up with black Quink and spent well over an hour doing everything I know how to do to make a pen flow: flushing, soaking in an ammonia solution, flossing, tine spacing, and more. No success. So I flushed the pen, filled it with Waterman Blue-Black again, and it was off to the races. I broke the news to the client that this pen would die on a diet of black Quink, and the pen went home again. No further problems with it have been reported.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I've never had a bit of problem with any Quink ink, including the black. I also have never had a problem with any Parker Penman ink, and I know that's probably out of the norm as well.

John

Quink Black is the one ink I don't use in my Parkers. And that is the old stuff and the new stuff, I use it but only in a fine nib cheapie when I MUST write in black, but 99% of the time I get away with Diamine Prussian Blue.

Tell you what Griz, I will take it off your hands, flush it out, take the hood off, clean and reset the nib, ( boy am I getting good at this these days, thanks to Richard B, Ron Zorn, Dillo et al for invaluable advice freely given), get it writing sweetly and then write and tell you how wonderful it is :)

Sounds like a deal to me :roflmho:

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Well, I went and flushed the pen and went to refill it and I found another problem..

It seems that the sac is leaking... when I went to fill it, Ink started coming up over the filler bar...

Where can I buy a pliglass sac... have not seen them offered anywhere... also how hard is it to remove the filler...

Please tell me I don't have to remove the whole hood... I am hoping that I can just remove the filler.

Give up and send it to me :roflmho:

Jim

PS I think that Tryphon does the sacs, but it may have just come off the nipple, maybe the UC loosened the seal? If so a bit of shelac will fix it back. The filler should be held on with shelac so a bit of gentle heat should release it. Have fun :rolleyes:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

I think griz can buy like 20 pens with $15.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Steve,

I gave up trying to deal with pensacs.com

I sent them about 5 emails asking for information when I first starting restoring pens and never got an answer... I also left about 4 phone messages...

I think I was more than patient before giving up.

Steve,

I gave up trying to deal with pensacs.com

I sent them about 5 emails asking for information when I first starting restoring pens and never got an answer... I also left about 4 phone messages...

I think I was more than patient before giving up.

Tom, I sell Aerometric replacement sacs.

Look under Silicone sacs in the online catalog.

Take care,

Giovanni

Pen repair supplies

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....