Lamy Loose Nib

MilenkoD

I have a Lamy Safari with an XF nib that's been my daily workhorse for the past 24 months. The nib has become increasingly loose over the past few weeks. It's now gotten to the point where I can easily pull it off and it "shimmys" from side to side as I write. Is there any way to properly fix or tighten the nib?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MilenkoD

• MattSense

• The Blue Knight

• Algester

They’re not that easy to "fix", unless you've done this many times with experience and with the proper tools.

So don't try this yourself, please, or you most likely could do more damage than good, then LAMY may not be able to help, once you've done more damage [LAMY has ways of figuring these things out!].

Like MattSense said, best to send it to LAMY for repair or replacement, especially if it's still under warranty they may even, more than likely, just send you a brand new pen.

You might want to even call them first and explain the situation, that you've not tried fixing it yourself, that it's just falling apart, since if it hasn't been abused they're most likely to just give you a new one.

Best wises for a very happy outcome, hopefully a new pen for you.

Please do come back and keep us posted as to the outcome!

~Scott~

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Thanks to all responders. I'll try to get in contact with them and explain my situation. Does anyone know what the warranty happens to be for the Safari line?

All Lamy pens sold in the US carry the following warranty:

Lamy pen warranties its writing instruments for the life of the product**. If repair is required other than from abuse or misuse, then for a small handling and return postage charge of $7.50, Lamy products will repair, refurbish, and return any Lamy instrument. If other parts have been abused, there will be a special charge. Otherwise, there are no labor or parts charges

All Lamy pens sold in the US carry the following warranty:

Lamy pen warranties its writing instruments for the life of the product**. If repair is required other than from abuse or misuse, then for a small handling and return postage charge of $7.50, Lamy products will repair, refurbish, and return any Lamy instrument. If other parts have been abused, there will be a special charge. Otherwise, there are no labor or parts charges

Thanks. I just happened to find the original case for my Safari an the warranty policy is on the inside of the label insert.

Think i'll get it fixed and retire it for something new.

this might not be the reply your looking for...but how about trying out a new pen? the safari is considered an entry level pen, and since you`ve used it for quite a while, it might be just the right time to try out a 14k gold nib.

also, expect for the lamy 2000, all lamy nibs are compatible...after fixing the safari feed, you can simply buy a 14k lamy nib and attach it on the safari.

Edited by sjchun79

this might not be the reply your looking for...but how about trying out a new pen? the safari is considered an entry level pen, and since you`ve used it for quite a while, it might be just the right time to try out a 14k gold nib.

also, expect for the lamy 2000, all lamy nibs are compatible...after fixing the safari feed, you can simply buy a 14k lamy nib and attach it on the safari.

I'm on the hunt for something else.... 2 years with the Safari is long enough. I'm actually considering the Lamy 2000 because I'd really like the covered nib. However I'd like something with a metal body. The Edition 2000 is just right, but hard to find and I gather too expensive for my budget right now. Any suggestions fitting my criteria?

For the time being, I've resurrected my Hero 100. It will be my 'daily driver' until I get around to having the Safari serviced or get something else.

• 4 years later...

I left my Lamy Al-Star in my car for a week. The heat caused the nib to expand and become loose, like yours. I rinsed the nib with water, held it by the tip, and gently hammered the left and right side of the shank with the back of a hacksaw (I didn't have a hammer). Turns out I hammered a little too much, so I had to use a pair of scissors to pry the nib open bit by bit until I could force it back on the pen. The fit is snug and the pen writes great.

For anyone with an Al-Star or a Safari, I wouldn't recommend mailing anything in for repairs. I'm not a fix-it guy. In fact most anything I touch breaks, so if I can re-fit my nib with a pair of scissors and the metal handle of a hacksaw, anyone can make this repair. And honestly for the price of these pens, it's not worth the hassle of mailing.

• 6 months later...

I've had a lamy vista and al that did this. I just took the nib off and tapped it very very gently with a tack hammer a few times each side. Really, just 3 taps weight of hammer does it. Fits perfectly

• 1 month later...

(RE)TIGHTENING LAMY NIBS

I read you have encountered problems with Lamy nibs that became too loose for comfort. If you regularly exchange nibs on a Lamy fountain pen feed a wear induced phenomena of sliding metal Lamy nibs up and down on the accompanying plastic feeds that loosens the nibs over time is even quite normal.

There is a do it yourself method to (re)tighten Lamy form and friction fitted nibs so they cannot slide or otherwise move overly easy on and off their feeds. The method is somewhat counterintuitive and avoids the use of metal tools that could leave tool marks on the nib. Always keep in mind to work on nibs with caution and apply force in increasing increments.

Lamy_nibs_%2B_Lamy_Nexx.jpg

1. First you have to place the Lamy nib on a hard flat surface like a table. To protect the table for dents caused by the 2 small L shaped metal nib profiles resting on the table it is a good idea to put some paper between the table and the nib.
  2. Find a rectangular straight piece of wood of roughly 20 to 25 cm (8 to 10 in) length.
  3. Then carefully rest the piece of wood on the top of the rear part of the Lamy nib where the Lamy logo and nib type designation are written. The wood should only cover the rear part up to the breather hole or the nib size designation in case of a stub nib. Beware to keep away from the front end of the nib where the breather hole and/or nib slit is!
  4. Now whist keeping the piece of wood parallel to the table carefully apply some downward force with your hands on the piece of wood. This will slightly deform the rear part of the Lamy nib that is used for the feed connection making it fit more tightly on the feed. Never press on the nib with great force to avoid excessive deformation! Instead gently apply pressure in increasing small increments whilst regularly checking if the rear part of the Lamy nib got deformed enough to appropriately fit on the feed.

If a Lamy nib is very tightly fitted on its feed and hard to remove by hand you can resort to grabbing the nib with a piece of rubber for extra grip. A more drastic method to remove an excessive tightly fitted Lamy nib is using sticking sticky tape stuck on the top of the nib to pull the nib off its feed.

Edited by Fuellerfuehrerschein

• 2 months later...

(RE)TIGHTENING LAMY NIBS

I read you have encountered problems with Lamy nibs that became too loose for comfort. If you regularly exchange nibs on a Lamy fountain pen feed a wear induced phenomena of sliding metal Lamy nibs up and down on the accompanying plastic feeds that loosens the nibs over time is even quite normal.

There is a do it yourself method to (re)tighten Lamy form and friction fitted nibs so they cannot slide or otherwise move overly easy on and off their feeds. The method is somewhat counterintuitive and avoids the use of metal tools that could leave tool marks on the nib. Always keep in mind to work on nibs with caution and apply force in increasing increments.

1. First you have to place the Lamy nib on a hard flat surface like a table. To protect the table for dents caused by the 2 small L shaped metal nib profiles resting on the table it is a good idea to put some paper between the table and the nib.
  2. Find a rectangular straight piece of wood of roughly 20 to 25 cm (8 to 10 in) length.
  3. Then carefully rest the piece of wood on the top of the rear part of the Lamy nib where the Lamy logo and nib type designation are written. The wood should only cover the rear part up to the breather hole or the nib size designation in case of a stub nib. Beware to keep away from the front end of the nib where the breather hole and/or nib slit is!
  4. Now whist keeping the piece of wood parallel to the table carefully apply some downward force with your hands on the piece of wood. This will slightly deform the rear part of the Lamy nib that is used for the feed connection making it fit more tightly on the feed. Never press on the nib with great force to avoid excessive deformation! Instead gently apply pressure in increasing small increments whilst regularly checking if the rear part of the Lamy nib got deformed enough to appropriately fit on the feed.

If a Lamy nib is very tightly fitted on its feed and hard to remove by hand you can resort to grabbing the nib with a piece of rubber for extra grip. A more drastic method to remove an excessive tightly fitted Lamy nib is using sticking sticky tape stuck on the top of the nib to pull the nib off its feed.

Thank you so much!!!! It worked!!!!

Lamy's are tough, I abuse them a good bit and they just look at me say hey this is nothing.

I have broken one a few times but it was on the floor and I was wearing a army boot at the time.

The good news was I could bye the part I broke for very little and the pen is still fine to this day, The store I bought the part in has gone out of business.

The pen outlasted the store.

• 2 months later...

(RE)TIGHTENING LAMY NIBS

WoW! thank you for explanation. It really helped.

Sincerely,

Dennis

• 1 month later...

(RE)TIGHTENING LAMY NIBS

helped me as well!

thanks for the detailed explanation :)

You could always just send it to Lamy with a check for $7.50 and have them fix it for you /default/smile.gif

Really when the nib is worth nearly that.

Almost half of paying for a new one. The only ones I've seen less than $8 have been the Hero nibs from their clones that do fit.

Last time I bought one from my b&m it's only £4.50. That shops prices are normally quite steep.