Show us your wax seals

Rena

Rena,

Great video - Atelier Gargoyle are great to deal with. Out of curiosity, what are you using as a moisture barrier on your seal to prevent sticking? I know that the AG wax doesn't require a barrier with metal seals, but I was curious if you'd found anything outside of some of their suggestions.

Must order some wax soon. Love the Dragons & Crowns seal.

They're the nicest people, aren't then? I think it was from their site that I learned the ice cube trick — touch the seal onto an ice cube before pressing into the wax. I use this in the hot summer months and when I make more than one wax seal at a time. The only other thing I do is the "exhale onto the seal first" thing, as you've already mentioned.

If i had a cool spoon and lamp set like Dashreeve, I maybe could be convinced to move away from candles and matches... Gorgeous photo and really beautiful set, Dashreeve!

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• Adamtrons

• Rena

• Aquinata

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are these antiques? Where do I find these items?

You can find modern ones at places like Shakespear's Den, Nostalgic Impressions, Amazon, The Medieval Scribe, etc. I just pulled a google search. Antiques can be had, I'm sure, just have to keep an eye open.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I wound think that a permanent form of wax would be defeating the purpose, such as the new mailable wax or fake wax (gluegun wax) are nearly permanent and quite indestructable. They can bend in half without breaking and offer excellent adhesion to paper. However, Sealing wax is meant to break, as it's the only seal that ensures that the contents have not been opened. The clear plastic on top may just be another layer of clear wax, to protect the layer of red wax. However, you wouldn't need to laquer the wax, especially if it's a quality wax as it will have it's own sheen.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

What liqued fuel do you use in the lamp?

I have the same one but I can't find any alcohol fuel for it.

Thanks.

Go anywhere that sells paint; they'll have denatured alcohol (used as a cleaner, and for dissolving shellac flakes). It's the right stuff for this kind of lamp.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

I'm about to set about to making a custom seal for myself. First turned from wax, then cast in sterling silver, I hope it comes out good, especially when I send it to the experts to have it cast. If anyone is interested in me making one for them, just PM me. I'm planning on making them like chops or hanko, a solid column of material, without a different handle. I'll try and post pictures here when I'm finally done with it.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

What liqued fuel do you use in the lamp?

I have the same one but I can't find any alcohol fuel for it.

Thanks.

Go anywhere that sells paint; they'll have denatured alcohol (used as a cleaner, and for dissolving shellac flakes). It's the right stuff for this kind of lamp.

Thanks!

"I am what I am because of what I have been." (David McCallum)

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Rena,

Great video - Atelier Gargoyle are great to deal with. Out of curiosity, what are you using as a moisture barrier on your seal to prevent sticking? I know that the AG wax doesn't require a barrier with metal seals, but I was curious if you'd found anything outside of some of their suggestions.

Must order some wax soon. Love the Dragons & Crowns seal.

They're the nicest people, aren't then? I think it was from their site that I learned the ice cube trick — touch the seal onto an ice cube before pressing into the wax. I use this in the hot summer months and when I make more than one wax seal at a time. The only other thing I do is the "exhale onto the seal first" thing, as you've already mentioned.

If i had a cool spoon and lamp set like Dashreeve, I maybe could be convinced to move away from candles and matches... Gorgeous photo and really beautiful set, Dashreeve!

They are not antiques, but after reading your response I went back and looked at the picture, they do look kind of "antiquey" I guess. I got these at letterseals.com. And someone already answered, but just to confirm, denatured alcohol is the fuel for the lamp. So, I then read the response about the photo - and went back AGAIN to look at the photo. I appreciate the comment, but I promise it was just luck. Most of my photos turn out really bad. This was part of a "wax sealing process" set that I took for a penpal with a really great blog...

I wound think that a permanent form of wax would be defeating the purpose, such as the new mailable wax or fake wax (gluegun wax) are nearly permanent and quite indestructable. They can bend in half without breaking and offer excellent adhesion to paper. However, Sealing wax is meant to break, as it's the only seal that ensures that the contents have not been opened. The clear plastic on top may just be another layer of clear wax, to protect the layer of red wax. However, you wouldn't need to laquer the wax, especially if it's a quality wax as it will have it's own sheen.

Actually the supple or bendable wax is possible to remove with your fingers or with a letter opener or knife, nothing incredibly difficult to do beyond what is done with traditional wax. I used it as part of a scrap book to seal little notes, about 20 of them, on a single page that my girlfriend had to then open up, it took her within 10 minutes to do so. The ability to easily open them depends as well on how thick you make the seal, with the supple wax you can make the seals thinner and still have a stronger seal than you might have with traditional wax. They are meant to be broken, but unlike traditional wax they wont crumble when you do so, enabling the seal to come away in one piece oftentimes.

Though I am not a fan of the glue gun wax, it kinda takes the fun away from the whole ritual, and am glad I got an alcohol burner to use. Oh, I use a 95% ethyl alcohol, 5% Isopropyl alcohol reagent mixture, I picked up from a local science supply store, along with the burner, for the liquid fuel, burns very consistently, though not as hot as a flame as I am used to seeing in a chemistry lab! Of course, that would be way too hot for melting wax!

Once I can find a camera in great working order, I will post my seals up to, been very impressed with the ones posted so far!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

This was part of a "wax sealing process" set that I took for a penpal with a really great blog...

Hey, thanks!

That series of photos was incredible! Here's the link to it on my blog for anyone who might want to have a look.

Still impressed with the way the "photos of the photos" came out there.

This was part of a "wax sealing process" set that I took for a penpal with a really great blog...

Hey, thanks!

That series of photos was incredible! Here's the link to it on my blog for anyone who might want to have a look.

I'm impressed too. And GreenVelvet, I love your blog!

My problem is: I'm not of royal or otherwise extraction according me a coat of arms, and I have struggled to find a telling monogram or logo. Otherwise, I'd have a wax seal made in a heartbeat and used daily.....

Alas, until I find the right motive.....

Hey, thanks!

I'm impressed too. And GreenVelvet, I love your blog!

Thanks! I have a lot of fun with it.

I have a wax seal kit, one of the cheapies sold at stores. I haven't used it in years. I think most people thought it odd I even used it at all. I was in Kunming China last year (adopted a little boy) and I bought four chops. In china you can get chops everywhere, I however wanted to seek out a master carver. I wanted something made really well, not just scratched.

So I found this guy.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2729128600_96a00a8b15_b.jpg

I had him make these four chops...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2562/4048925801_84dac48cfe_b.jpg

The first two will be for my son. One is his Chinese name the other the one we gave him. The next two are my chops. I really need to use them more often.

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

I have a wax seal kit, one of the cheapies sold at stores. I haven't used it in years. I think most people thought it odd I even used it at all. I was in Kunming China last year (adopted a little boy) and I bought four chops. In china you can get chops everywhere, I however wanted to seek out a master carver. I wanted something made really well, not just scratched.

So I found this guy.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2729128600_96a00a8b15_b.jpg

I had him make these four chops...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2562/4048925801_84dac48cfe_b.jpg

The first two will be for my son. One is his Chinese name the other the one we gave him. The next two are my chops. I really need to use them more often.

Very nice.

Thanks, I also use cinnabar paste with the chops, but didnt want to for the shot this morning =)

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

My problem is: I'm not of royal or otherwise extraction according me a coat of arms, and I have struggled to find a telling monogram or logo. Otherwise, I'd have a wax seal made in a heartbeat and used daily.....

No need to be of royal or any other extraction to have a coat of arms! Most of those of us that are armigerous are commoners and in most countries there are no heraldic authorities that govern burgher arms. Free assumption is the norm.

For a good primer in English see the website of the American Heraldry Society.

Edited by Anglofil

No need to be of royal or any other extraction to have a coat of arms! Most of those of us that are armigerous are commoners and in most countries there are no heraldic authorities that govern burgher arms. Free assumption is the norm.

Right. I am sure that I could, legally, make up a coat of arms, and use it without any risk ;)

That said, I'm a citizen of a Kingdom and a devout royalist (although I live in a republic.....), and so I tend to chose to respect traditions on such matters.

I've thought to get a seal made up with a monogram or some such thing, but I've not thought it out well enough to act. Also, I've got as little "artistic skills" as I've got royal blood, so my attempts at sketching up a seal have thus far not been successful.....

Right. I am sure that I could, legally, make up a coat of arms, and use it without any risk ;)

That said, I'm a citizen of a Kingdom and a devout royalist (although I live in a republic.....), and so I tend to chose to respect traditions on such matters.

I've thought to get a seal made up with a monogram or some such thing, but I've not thought it out well enough to act. Also, I've got as little "artistic skills" as I've got royal blood, so my attempts at sketching up a seal have thus far not been successful.....

Just to avoid any confusion:

I am a citizen of one Kingdom, and live in another, both Scandinavian. Scandinavian, and Continental, heraldic tradition is such that assumption of arms is free. Very, very few countries have regulated heraldry, in fact in Europe only England, Scotland, and Ireland have heraldic authorities which grant arms to their citizens. However any citizen of these countries are free to apply for a grant of arms!

Heraldry is not, and never has been, reserved for royalty or even nobility!

"If you like it buy it" this works for cars, pens and wax seals depicting coats of arms etc!

I just pulled the trigger on a Dexter Rings desk seal. I found a Heraldic Beast on their website that was the bust of a Greyhound! I love greyhounds, especially mine. Imagine my surprise when I click on the design's number and discover that the bust I chose represented the Magor family name. I am not a Magor, nor am I from the Emerald isle or the land of the Union Jack, but my humble Italian last name is only one consonant off in the middle...I am a very un-noble Macor, but I will have a nice wax seal!

And should one of my sealed letters be seen by a Magor clan member, I will BS him or her into believing that during the Renaissance, great great super great great uncle Twixtleberry Magor went to the little coastal town of Lignano/Sabbia D'oro in Italy, had an interlude with one of the local hotties and changed his last name ever so slightly on the hasty marriage license. He ran back to Chip Chip Cheroo England ten months later and the rest is history... little Macors began propagating the Adriatic!

Yakshemash! I liking many things in U S and A., only Kazakhstan have superior Plutonium! Happy Times!