Rotring Art Pen — Cartridges and Converters

BonSequitur

A couple weeks ago, I received a Rotring Art Pen as a gift. I'm very happy with the pen, but now that the original ink cartridges ran out, I have a bit of a problem.

Where I live, there are apparently no Rotring retailers, so I'm unable to find more cartridges or a converter for it. Has anyone had any success filling that pen with Parker or other international sized cartridges? I have a small box of cartridges which seem to be ‘International’ size — But they don't fit. The Rotring cartridges have a slightly different shape. Conversely, Faber-Castell cartridges do fit — but I'm not willing to pay through the nose for them to find out whether the Faber-Castell converter actually works, at least not quite yet. As you know it's a great pen, and I'd feel really bad about letting it sit empty forever.

Also about it — I can't seem to remove the nib section for filling. Do you just pull it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BonSequitur

• paulkraus

• r1chard

• frostdoll

A couple weeks ago, I received a Rotring Art Pen as a gift. I'm very happy with the pen, but now that the original ink cartridges ran out, I have a bit of a problem.

Where I live, there are apparently no Rotring retailers, so I'm unable to find more cartridges or a converter for it. Has anyone had any success filling that pen with Parker or other international sized cartridges? I have a small box of cartridges which seem to be ‘International’ size — But they don't fit. The Rotring cartridges have a slightly different shape. Conversely, Faber-Castell cartridges do fit — but I'm not willing to pay through the nose for them to find out whether the Faber-Castell converter actually works, at least not quite yet. As you know it's a great pen, and I'd feel really bad about letting it sit empty forever.

Also about it — I can't seem to remove the nib section for filling. Do you just pull it?

Rotring makes a convertor for the Art Pen, and as far as I know international cartridges and convertors should work. Parker Cartridges are not international sized, they fit Parkers and Auroras, and perhaps a few other pens here and there but are rather proprietary. If you cannot find the Rotring Convertor, you maybe able to find a Pelikan or Waterman convertor, or a generic international convertor for around $5, they should be no more than that. If you are interested in other cartridges, Private Reserve, and Diamine have short international cartridges, and expand you color options immensely! Hope this helps!

As far as your other question, Are you trying to remove the nib and feed, or unscrew the section to add another cartridge? You don't need to remove the nib or feed for refilling. I may not understand what you are asking though.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I live outside the US and Europe, which is why I'm unable to buy Rotring products at all here. I'll look for a Waterman or generic international converter, though.

I'm using a Schmidt converter in mine, those are pretty generic. Do you mean taking the nib out of the grip, or taking the nib and grip out of the body? The nib doesn't come out of the grip, but the whole section screws out of the body.

The nib can be pulled out with the feed but no need to refill it like that because every standard cartridge (pelikan, waterman, etc...) will fit into the ArtPen!

As sk2yshine said the Art Pen takes standard sized cartridges so you don't need to go hunting for them and also the converter is quite easy to find, you don't need to look for Rotring products.

The nib and feed are easily removed for cleaning, it's useful if you put india ink in it or other clogging inks for drawing.

Enjoy your Art Pen!

Buy from eBay. I got a genuine Rotring converter from seller streetfair. Ships fast and cheap.

I was sent a waterman converter though but send me the correct converter after and told me to keep th first.

He also sells ink cartridge. Usually sellers know which one fits.

Afaik, rotring art pen uses universal cartridge. not proprietary like parker.

here's to your second Q. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...p;#entry1196858

wiggle it gently side ways.

• 4 years later...

Don't want to hijack a rather old thread, buy my question is kinda related... the situation being opposite though. I'm wondering if the rotring converter would fit both a Staedler and a Faber-Castell.

My kid (7 y.o.) has a Staedler Learner's pen and a Faber Castell Scribolino, both write very nice, got them for about €9 and €11 directly from a bookstore (could have got them about 10-20% cheaper online)...

My problem is I'd like to fit them with cartridge converters and I was wondering if the rotring 4123227 / artpen converter would fit. I know they all conform to the international standard, but also I know sometimes the lenght or with of the barrel or of the converter might cause problems (such as the standard converter of Faber Castell not fitting their Basic). As far as I know, both Staedler Lerner's pen and FC Scribolino do accept and can accomodate a standard cartridge (probabily Schmidt or Faber Castell) and both can accomodate two small cartridge in the barell (one installed, one spare). But will ths rotring one work?

Has anyone tried this?

I intend to order this rotring artpen converter togheter with a quantity of school supplies from an online shop with no showroom and no "see before you buy" option (they have really good prices though). The rotring converter is about €3, quite a good price.

I can also order the Faber Castell converter from a different shop, also priced about €3 but this shop does not have everything I want.

Also, what do you think of a Montex Handy set (Indian company) together with a standard converter, priced at ~ €0.5 ? Could I trust this converter? How bad could it be?

Anything from Montex could be very bad indeed. :-(

Doesn't answer your question, but I recently acquired an Artpen as part of a batch of calligraphy materials at a car boot sale. When I got it home, I discovered it had a Montblanc converter fitted!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Well... if i order the Faber-Castell one I would expect to fit in the Staedtler too :)

Meanwhile I've ordered a Diplomat one instead... long story.

I'll post back when/if I get the converter.

That's damn hard... I want a Herlitz pencil case (Smiley Scribble) and the Faber-Castell converter but apparently there is some kind of exclusion pact - no Herlitz dealer offers Faber Castell (but they do offer Rotring and overpirced Pelikan and Diplomat) and vice-versa. So it's becoming a "mission impossible" to buy from the same shop a Herlitz pencil case and a Faber Castell converter...

Edited by paulkraus

• 5 years later...

I'm so sorry for reviving the thread but I didn't find an answer to this on the internet so I went out and bought some converters to compare them.

Rotring ArtPen converters are not standard international, I tried and they do not fit Faber-Castell, Kaweco pens. They are proprietary.

Comparison photos with Faber-Castell and Pelikan Converters

https://imgur.com/a/eWLs46S

Strange... Since a Schmidt converter from a Ranga/Bock fits my rOtring ArtPens, and the converter (presumed to be rOtring since it is in the art bag with the ArtPens) fits: Monteverde Monza, Ancora Perla, Pineider La Grande Bellazza, Delta Italiana, and a Bexley DC Supershow LE, Waterman Charleston (I could have sworn Waterman was non-standard).

The converters in the art kit have translucent plastic mouths, and metal reinforcement bands (take the plastic of your rOtring, and fit it into your Pelikan).

Edited by BaronWulfraed

Strange … I'm a long term user of Rotring Art pens, and have always used standard international converters and cartridges, without encountering any problem. But let me add that I bought my Art pens twenty or more years ago; those on the market now might have different characteristics.

Italix Captain's Commission F – Italix Parson's Essential F – Kaweco Dia2 EF – Pilot Custom 74 SF – Sailor 1911 Simply Black F – TWSBI Classic EF – Rotring Altro F

“As for the qualities of which you may know, ‘These qualities lead to dispassion, not to passion; to being unfettered, not to being fettered; to shedding, not to accumulating; to modesty, not to self-aggrandizement; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to entanglement; to aroused persistence, not to laziness; to being unburdensome, not to being burdensome’: You may definitely hold, ‘This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher’s instruction.’”

• 1 month later...

The rotring artpen converter has a mouth with the right inner diameter for international standard, but the narrowest part is too short, so it will not fit in pens that have a deep narrow collar, like the kawecos. While on the topic, does anyone know if the converter's tip, that is made of a softer plastic, can be removed from the tube part for cleaning? I have ink stuck in the seem between the two parts.