How to help someone bidding for a scam on Ebay?

stevlight

So there is this auction here

selling a pen for what is now $45 and Mont Blanc ink--so someone unknowing would think it is a Mont blanc pen!

You can get the same pen or $15 at Hisnibs here not a bad chinese made pen{one of my students had one}

Can you contact bidders and tell them? I am VERY new to ebay--three purchases only but feel that these people should not be scammed

www.stevelightart.com

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diplomat

• stevlight

• bluefish65

• gvl

One solution I can think of would be to contact the eBay admins and alert them about the particular auction.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Interesting. The serious bidder should be warned from the low feedback score... and he got some nice answer to the bad feedbacks too:

"Reply by mascarvin! (May-06-09 18:36):

Its a rare pen worth about $200.00 If u were not happy u could have returned it"

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...mp;myworld=true

Now, which poet would be the pen made after? :hmm1:

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Can you contact bidders and tell them? I am VERY new to ebay--three purchases only but feel that these people should not be scammed

Steve, unfortunately ebay prevents to know who the bidders are. This is to avoid a different kind of scam, like you contact a bidder of a certain item claiming that you can sell it at a lower price but outside ebay... thus losing all the "safety mechanism" of the site.

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I tried to report the problem--three times now-- but safari will not open the page--if anyone else would like to try i think there is some good karma in it for you.

www.stevelightart.com

I just might have a close look at this...

IANAN is in the habit of reporting suspicious activity on e-bay.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Just so you know about how to report a bad listing:

On the listing page, as you probably have found by now, is a "Report Item" option.

You will be taken to a form asking the nature of the report.

Sometime after you report the listing, you'll receive an email from eBay, such as this:

"We will thoroughly review the listing(s) you have reported for

violations of our Listing Policies. In order to keep eBay a safe and fun

place to trade, we often rely on members like you to bring such listing

violations to our attention.

In light of our privacy policy, we cannot share with you any action

taken by eBay with respect to this listing. If we determine that the

listing violates eBay policy, we may:

1. Send the seller an informational alert;

2. Remove the listing; or

3. Suspend the seller.

Account suspensions are usually reserved for those sellers that

continuously disregard policy.

If you would like to review our Listing Policies in more detail, please

visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-ov.html

Thank you for your report.

Regards,

The eBay Community Watch Team"

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I actually have this pen by Book Worm (Yellow! Pretty!). I got it for $10 including shipping from China. (And I think that was overpaying a bit, as I've seen them for significantly less).

This is really cheesy, and preys on the inexperienced, but I bet the seller's argument to eBay will be that *technically* he never claimed it was a MB... :sick:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I suppose it's because of what I do for a living, but I don't read that as advertising an MB pen at all. I read it as being a no-name fountain pen being sold with 6 MB cartridges. I'm more bothered by "The high quality fountain pen nib is gold and silver." To me, that's what smacks of misrepresentation.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

...."The high quality fountain pen nib is gold and silver." To me, that's what smacks of misrepresentation.

Agreed, even though he doesn't state it as being an MB, his/her listing is deliberately miss-leading just to make a sale, IMHO.

They take it a step further as if this pen has some "magical" quality, by saying "It allows your writing to flow effortlessly, resulting in highly attractive handwriting."

Now isn't that what we all need, a magical pen that instantly transforms even the worst hand writing into "highly attractive", without the need to s[p]end time and practice?

:eureka: :hmm1:

Really...., some people have no conscience, no moral compass; it's all about the quick buck...

Arghhh, burns my bacon. :angry:

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Aysedasi--thank you for reporting it--i have tried but everytime I click on "report item" I get a can't find server window--very frustrating.

Thanks to everyone else for their input.

www.stevelightart.com

selling a pen for what is now $45 and Mont Blanc ink--so someone unknowing would think it is a Mont blanc pen!

You can get the same pen or $15 at Hisnibs here not a bad chinese made pen{one of my students had one}

As I read it, it is clearly an attempt to misrepresent it as something other than what it really is. And - the seller is asking $12.25 to ship it, adding insult to injury.

Of course, anyone naive enough to think he was getting a MB for (the current price of) $48 deserves whatever he gets.

Aysedasi--thank you for reporting it--i have tried but everytime I click on "report item" I get a can't find server window--very frustrating.

Thanks to everyone else for their input.

No worries. as jde says, I got the standard response - I've done this quite a few times before. Usually the sales get pulled but you hear nothing more.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Hi,

Interesting to see if it is pulled, as others have said it is sort of misleading, but he is only saying the carts are MB and I can almost hear the 'oh sorry it was a bit badly worded' response when challenged.

Even where he says gold and silver nib he merely describes the colour.

Andy

The Gold Dragon Rollerball is even more disturbing as it looks a lot like a Jinhao and it's over $180...but it does include the Mont Blanc booklet. I think that I will use this as an example of ethical behaviour for my business writing class this Fall...

Yep, his/her other auctions are pretty shady as well. Couldn't something be done about using photos from Joon to represent the pens?

We know he's describing the color, but his listing reads:

"The high quality fountain pen nib is gold and silver." (not colored, tone, or plated)

"Gold and silver nib with piston converter."

It's a shame to see someone get ripped off.

Yep, his/her other auctions are pretty shady as well. Couldn't something be done about using photos from Joon to represent the pens?

I'm not sure the pics are from Joon...the logo on the cap has been cautiously disguised, just as the nib on the "poets edition" cannot be discerned. The most questionable phrase I find is limited edition. Limited to whom?

The nib on the Golden Dragon clearly has no 4810...maybe folks are betting on lookalikes to gain value. I wonder if anyone will be sniping this auction...could see these go for high values.