The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker "51" ; Cedar Blue Double Jewel; 1946

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grimakis

grimakis

Parker "51" First Year

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:17

THE PARKER "51"

by Grimakis

1.First Impressions:

It is slightly hard to give my first impressions of a pen I already have done a review of, but here it goes. This “51” is very different than my other “51”s. I own a 1941 pen in black, and a 1945 pen in cordovan. The link to a review of those can

be found here: http://www.fountainp...showtopic=94056.

The pen I am reviewing this time is a Cedar Blue double jeweled pen, from 1946. The colour was a lot less blue than I expected, and had a hint of green. I won't give this a score because I am already biased.

2.Appearance & Design (10) –  The “51” has a very unique design. It offers a certain rugged simplicity, with a dash of style. Its long streamlined body makes the pen seem somewhat futuristic, despite it being over 60 years old. The hooded nib

takes the “51” away from tradition pen design, but brings to the table a whole group of new benefits. The ability to mix caps and barrels allows for a great deal of variation. With the wide array of choices you can really choose a pen that fits your

mood and personality. The pen really brought a radical change to pen design, and paved the way for future models such as the Parker “61”.

Posted Image

3.Construction & Quality (10) – The “51” is an extremely durable pen. The nib is solid 14k gold, and is very thick and sturdy. The cap is made from metal, whether it be gold, brass, steel, or silver. This brings the possibility of denting, but

reduces the risk of getting a crack through the lip. (Yes, I have seen ONE “51” with a cracked cap, so it isn't impossible.) The clip is a washer style one, and is very sturdy. In addition, the pen is made of Lucite. Lucite is very durable, much more

so than celluloid. This pen is built to last. I believe that these pens were lathe-turned, and no injection molding seams are present. This is one pen that can definitely survive multiple centuries.

Posted Image

4.Weight & Dimensions (9) – The “51” is not heavy, the “51” is not light. Such a balance of weight makes it seems almost perfect. I would describe the pen as a medium sized one, definitely not large though. It rests well in the hand, and has

good balance. I would choose this pen over many others just because of its comfortable and ergonomic design. It could be a little bigger though.

Posted Image

5.Nib & Performance (9) – This particular pen has a nice medium nib on it now, but before had a dry, fairly fine nib. The nib is wedged in between a long flat feed, and a large, multi-finned collector. I will make the claim that this pen can stay

uncapped for over an hour without drying out. I have done many trials, and it hasn't failed yet. The nib is so sturdy, misaligning the tines is very difficult. On the other side of things, the nib is virtually un-flexible due to the exact same reason.

This is the kind of nib that you can always rely on.

Posted Image

6.Filling System & Maintenance (9) - The filling mechanism on this pen is the Vacumatic. With this system, a plunger is depressed several times to extend a diaphragm into the barrel. This displaces the air in the barrel and allows ink to be forced

up the breather tube by atmospheric pressure. The ink spills out of the breather tube into the barrel, where it quietly waits to be drawn into the collector, and deposited on a sheet of paper. The mechanism is fairly easy to service as long as you

have the proper equipment. High capacity is only slightly hindered by the difficulty to flush. This can make changing ink a pain, but not overly difficult.

7.Cost & Value (9) – The cost of a “51” can vary greatly. This particular model I got for about $180, but I had to restore it myself. Single jeweled versions of this pen can be had for about 1/3 of the price of double jeweled ones.

8.Conclusion (Final score, 56/60) - You all know how I feel about this pen, just an overall great user!

Sponsored Content

#2 Bill Smith

Bill Smith

Parker and Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 1,310 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the west end of Greater Toronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 12 August 2009 - 21:30

Great review Grimakis!
"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

#3 italiansallion

italiansallion

No Doubt

• Member - Gold

• 1,366 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 23:13

nice review! i think i may have to try out a 51

#4 Martius

Martius

Big Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 23:35

Good review. I've been looking for a nice Cedar, but too many other pens keep getting bought! :D
"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

#5 laplume

laplume

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 15:52

Good review, the quality of the pictures helps to imagine the pen "in flesh". Nice looking pen. Keep them coming!

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:45

enjoy your 51
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

|