The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

M90 vs MYU 701?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 21:32

So how to they feel when compared to each other?

Sponsored Content

#2 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:00

Not sure about the feel, but I chose the 701 because I liked the look better, and the idea of having the original model. Also, I thought it was neat that the month and year they were made is stamped into the pen. I've seen that on knives, but not on pens.

#3 polaris

polaris

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 18:52

I prefer the more streamlined looks of the original with the added benefit that if you are the right age and you can track one down you can have one that was produced in the month and year of your birth.

#4 yellowecho

yellowecho

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:16

This question has been raised before, and the opinion of most respondents has been that the M90 is preferable. The M90 is also date stamped but you can only get a "birthday" model if you are REALLY young.

#5 TheHOINK

TheHOINK

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:37

Aloha-he...

Really young, now that's a good one... since it is produced for around a year now, a little more maybe.

By the way, my 701 and my Myu 90 give nothing one another, means, the old model is more sleek, a little longer, but writes the same concerning line-width and nib reaction.

The Myu90 was cheaper, after all, and is date-stamped, too.
The cap sits on more "tight" from both ends, tighter than on the Myu701 and has more grip. The pen itselves are quite similar in their writing.
So, if you ask me, go for the cheaper, maybe even more safer clicking Myu90.
It's a beautiful pen after all.

Maybe a lot will tell you different things.
Because they are sellers, or die-hard-fans, or had a 701 when they were young.... or wisecrackers who are never satisfied.

It does not matter, it is up to you. But if it is for use, and not for collection as a die hard collector, go for the Myu90. I would say. Cheaper, closes tighter.....

Thanks for the time reading my post.

TheHOINK

Edited by TheHOINK, 14 August 2009 - 11:39.

This is the life we chose, the life we lead... and there is... only... one guarantee. ... None of us will see heaven!

Happiness is not defined by what maximum you can afford, but by which minimum you are satisfied.

#6 yellowecho

yellowecho

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 00:21

Just a thought...Anyone who has recently had a child, or is about to, could try for an M90 with the child's birthday imprint.

#7 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,294 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:04

Aloha-he...

Really young, now that's a good one... since it is produced for around a year now, a little more maybe.

By the way, my 701 and my Myu 90 give nothing one another, means, the old model is more sleek, a little longer, but writes the same concerning line-width and nib reaction.

The Myu90 was cheaper, after all, and is date-stamped, too.
The cap sits on more "tight" from both ends, tighter than on the Myu701 and has more grip. The pen itselves are quite similar in their writing.
So, if you ask me, go for the cheaper, maybe even more safer clicking Myu90.
It's a beautiful pen after all.

Maybe a lot will tell you different things.
Because they are sellers, or die-hard-fans, or had a 701 when they were young.... or wisecrackers who are never satisfied.

It does not matter, it is up to you. But if it is for use, and not for collection as a die hard collector, go for the Myu90. I would say. Cheaper, closes tighter.....

Thanks for the time reading my post.

TheHOINK

It's not clear that the M90 is cheaper than a Myu701.

The 701 prices fluctuate from slightly over $100 to about $160. The release of the M90 has stabilized the prices for the 701. The 701's can be had for less than a M90.

2019 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 23-25th, 2019
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#8 kushbaby

kushbaby

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

• Member - Gold

• 1,933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:27

I have both, and I far prefer the M90 (to my surprise, actually). Not only do I find the slightly wider M90 barrel more comfortable to hold, but the fact that when posting the M90 is more secure is VITAL for me. The MYU701 cap seems to want to slip off when posted sometimes. It's the one thing that makes me crazy about this pen (in a bad way). The M90 has a clasp ring for completely secure capping.

See if you can hold at least one if not both of them. It really is a different feel between the two - some really prefer the 701, some (like me) really prefer the M90 (I got a second one!)

(A pen's not a good deal/"cheap" if you don't like using it!)

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

#9 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,481 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:20

I want to pick one up, as they look cool, but not sure the advantage of this style pen over a regular fountain pen

#10 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,481 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 13:26

Anyone have a side by side picture with a fisher space pen or something common? Thanks

#11 TheHOINK

TheHOINK

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 15:34

Excuse me, but I HAVE to post that.....

Something common?

Whuddza Fisher Space Pen? 0_o

(Really, I heard it sometimes, but a Lamy Safari, Pelikano, M200... tht is common, a Pilot G2 Gel Pen, Bic Roundpen... but whatsa fisher space pen?)

TheHOINK
This is the life we chose, the life we lead... and there is... only... one guarantee. ... None of us will see heaven!

Happiness is not defined by what maximum you can afford, but by which minimum you are satisfied.

#12 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 19:17

Excuse me, but I HAVE to post that.....

Something common?

Whuddza Fisher Space Pen? 0_o

(Really, I heard it sometimes, but a Lamy Safari, Pelikano, M200... tht is common, a Pilot G2 Gel Pen, Bic Roundpen... but whatsa fisher space pen?)

TheHOINK

It's a ballpoint pen that uses a pressurized refill, so it can be used underwater, upside-down, in space, in extreme conditions, and many other environments, some of which a human could not survive. They aren't very common on the FPN board, but many non pen enthusiasts know about them. I think most people on these boards have come to the conclusion that they don't write as well as other ballpoints, and are only useful if you are using them in extreme conditions. I like mine, though.

Garageboy, do you mean the bullet pen or the original? I could take a picture of the bullet pen with the Myu 701, if that helps...

#13 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:52

I can only comment on the M90 as I don't have the other. My M90 (F) is better than what I expected. A smooth nib, consistent flow, and a sturdy metal frame come together to make this a well-made pen. From the pictures of the Myu 701, Myu 90 looks like it.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#14 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,481 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 19:09

Yeah, I meant bullet pen. Thanks
I couldn't resist and got a M90, slightly used for $100
Not sure if it'll feel right in my hand, since I like light plastic pens, but something about that pen screams precision to me and I have to have it

#15 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 23:07

Congratulations on your pen! It really is a beauty.

#16 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,870 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 23:13

Hope you like it. I bought one in fine and one in medium. Nice pen, IMO.

Sponsored Content

|