The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

London Writing Equipment Show 2009

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 ianpwilliamson2

ianpwilliamson2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 21:06

This years London show takes place on Sunday 4th. October at Kensington Town Hall, London, UK.

Dealer tables are now sold out and the show looks to be bigger and better than ever.

There is a strong handwriting theme this year featuring handwriting teaching experts, graphologists and some of the UKs leading calligraphers. You will also find one of the largest private collections of writing equipment available for sale, this is being handled by Julie D'arcy Evans. We are also hoping to have a significant Maki-e collection for you to see. Pen repair gurus Jim Marshall and Laurence Oldfield along with our very own Oxonian and his magic nib work will be on hand to pass on their knowledge - and of course you'll see thousands upon thousands of fountain pens! :thumbup: We've got dealers booked in from all over the world so you can expect a truly international show.

The show web site is here: www.lwes.ukpenshows.co.uk

If you need any more info pm me.

Ian

www.lwes.ukpenshows.co.uk
www.wesonline.org.uk
www.cathedralpens.co.uk

Sponsored Content

#2 CasmiUK

CasmiUK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 21:31

I have already booked the next day off work, so - no rushing to catch a train!

I am also bringing my 12 year old niece with me. She loves the fountain pens I've given her (uses them almost exclusively, I think) and this will be her first show. She's very excited! [grin] So am I!

Can't wait to see everyone again, and to put some new faces to names!

Casmi [waving happily at Ian and Ann]
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

#3 andyk

andyk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 21:32

Hi,

Sounds interesting I love FPs but my writing is still awful, so will be nice to get some tips.

I was about to start a thread to see who was going this year, but if it's OK I will hijack this one. I am planning to be there and it would be nice to see some of you.

Likely to take a couple of nibs for Oxonian to work on as I am very pleased with the Pelikan nib he made into a cursive italic a couple of months back.

Andy

Edited by andyk, 11 August 2009 - 21:33.

#4 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:13

I really hope to get there...and not to take 2 hours from Victoria this time :o
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#5 Carrie

Carrie

FPN Chief Intelligence Officer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:34

I'm hoping to be there, but probably without much pen buying power. How many pens can I bring along for nib work? Don't suppose anyone fancies giving me a lift from Lymington, Southampton or Portsmouth do they?

#6 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:59

Have just asked for the day off work - I'd better get it!

#7 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• 1,821 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:00

Just booked flights to Majorca today, and back in Edinburgh, the 1st October. Promised holiday for my daughter took precedence.
That does leave me six or so weeks, to sort out my "day" trip to London :D

Would hate to miss seeing old and new faces.

Eric
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#8 carlc

carlc

Just fitting in.

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:29

Newbie question...

I've never been to a pen show - do you need a ticket?

Also when do the doors open to the public?

Doubt I'll have any money to spend but I really want to get to one of these shows.

Carl
"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

#9 enlasombra

enlasombra

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:16

I'll go from Hamburg (a day before), like last year ... was impressive. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Spanish FountainPen Site - Estilograficas.net
Spanish FountainPen Group FaceBook - Estilográficas - Fountain Pens

#10 ianpwilliamson2

ianpwilliamson2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:33

Newbie question...

Doubt I'll have any money to spend but I really want to get to one of these shows.

Carl

Carl

You pay on the day, its a fiver to get in. The London show could be a little overpowering for a newbie, perhaps we should set up a show buddy scheme whereby a nebie hooks up with an experienced show goer?

Ian

#11 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:39

Newbie question...

Carl

Carl

You pay on the day, its a fiver to get in. The London show could be a little overpowering for a newbie, perhaps we should set up a show buddy scheme whereby a nebie hooks up with an experienced show goer?

Ian

A "show guide" would a natural development of something similar to the FPN chat'n'coffee table that we all enjoyed at Lichfield - and produced extra trade for the show.

#12 carlc

carlc

Just fitting in.

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:40

Newbie question...

Carl

Carl

Ian

A "show guide" would a natural development of something similar to the FPN chat'n'coffee table that we all enjoyed at Lichfield - and produced extra trade for the show.

Ian

Thank you - overpowering for my wallet, my head or my feet?

Arthur - wanted to get to Lichfield but couldn't make it in the end - though it sounds like it may be better for me to wait for a smaller show or employ a professional guide/sherpa.

BTW wanted to write to you with the syringe filler but can't get the blasted thing to work (thank you anyway).

Carl

#13 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:02

Newbie question...

Carl

Carl

Ian

Ian

Thank you - overpowering for my wallet, my head or my feet?

Arthur - wanted to get to Lichfield but couldn't make it in the end - though it sounds like it may be better for me to wait for a smaller show or employ a professional guide/sherpa.

BTW wanted to write to you with the syringe filler but can't get the blasted thing to work (thank you anyway).

Carl

PM Sent

Graham

#14 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:11

I certainly found the London show (my first) rather a lot to take-in, (although I wasn't in the best frame of mind to do so!). It does pay to do a bit of planning before you go .... Richard Binder has some good advice, on richardspens.com... so that you have thought about what you wish to get out of the show.

But it's not a good reason to avoid it, especially if it is reasonably close :)
Hope to see you there!
There will undoubtedly be many FPNers there who would be pleased to give you 'moral support' (and some of the other kind :lol: ).
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#15 carlc

carlc

Just fitting in.

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:18

I certainly found the London show (my first) rather a lot to take-in, (although I wasn't in the best frame of mind to do so!). It does pay to do a bit of planning before you go .... Richard Binder has some good advice, on richardspens.com... so that you have thought about what you wish to get out of the show.

Hope to see you there!
There will undoubtedly be many FPNers there who would be pleased to give you 'moral support' (and some of the other kind :lol: ).

Thank you - I will almost certainly go- what I want out of it is just to experience a show as money is too tight to be hunting for pens. Although I would like to get a copy of the Marshall and Oldfield book.

Hmm - how do you identify a fellow FPN member? Is there a handshake or some such? :ph34r:

Carl

#16 ianpwilliamson2

ianpwilliamson2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:36

Hope to see you there!

Thank you - I will almost certainly go- what I want out of it is just to experience a show as money is too tight to be hunting for pens. Although I would like to get a copy of the Marshall and Oldfield book.

Hmm - how do you identify a fellow FPN member? Is there a handshake or some such? :ph34r:

Carl

We will probably produce entry label stickers with the FPN logo on them, these will be available on the door but you must state that you want a FPN label.

Ian

#17 carlc

carlc

Just fitting in.

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:43

[/quote]

We will probably produce entry label stickers with the FPN logo on them, these will be available on the door but you must state that you want a FPN label.

Ian
[/quote]

Good to know.

Thank you.

Carl

#18 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• 1,821 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:37

Carl

Naw, you just find CasmiUk (Carol), lurking around Ian's table, ogling inks, she knows everybody !!! :thumbup:
Eric
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#19 Carrie

Carrie

FPN Chief Intelligence Officer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 4,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 18:09

Naw, you just find CasmiUk (Carol), lurking around Ian's table, ogling inks, she knows everybody !!! :thumbup:
Eric

Doesn't everybody just lurk round Ian's table :lol: I thought all FPN members had inbuilt radar that automatically led them to Ian's table the moment they set foot inside a pen show.

#20 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 19:53

Are there any plans to set up an FPN table like there was at Litchfield.
Unfortunately, I found the day so busy at Litchfield that I didn't get a change to sit down and chat with people.
Would be great if this could be arranged as I would certainly make sure that I made time to meet up with some of you there.

George

Sponsored Content

|