Losing interest in pens

Rotomobees

Dear All-- It was quite a surprise when I got a reply back from rotomobees that said I live 30 minutes away and why don't I stop by some time to pick out something for myself. Talk about small world! I just got back from his home and I have to say I'm floored. I've never seen that many fountain pens in one place. What a treat to see them all.

Brandon,

Thanks for posting pics of the pens. I would never get around to doing it. Thanks also for letting people know that this is for real and that I'm not trying to manipulate folks into false admiration for me. My real motivation is to share these pens with people who will use them rather than leave them to sit and decay in my cabinet. Many people have mentioned to me in messages that they now feel like giving a pen to someone. Again, this is was never in my thoughts, viz., to start a "pay it forward" movement. But I'm thrilled that some readers have been motivated so. Imagine what a revolutionary and dangerous idea it is to just give stuff away. I'm not using something so I give it to someone else. That person no longer has to spend money to purchase the item. What if everyone started to do this, even to a small extent? The entire economy could be undermined. It would change the value we place on things. No longer would we look to things to make us happy but as items to make for better human living.

Rob (Rotomobees)

Creating a "pay it forward" chain would be a great result of your action. Though, giving things for free is not exactly a new idea. America, from what I have read, is the first country in the world in terms of volunteering, with about 100.000.000 of them. I have met some of them. These people are doing that for better human living. There are also taxes. Democratic governments have the same aim. Taxes are spent on education, healthcare (sorry to raise this controversy, but most European people consider this as a necessary) and security.

On the other hand, giving material objects, with high value on market, is seldom seen. When it comes to money, people usually do not give. Nobody is happy to pay tax. People will gladly give used clothes to some association if they think those are worthless, but giving that second watch they do not use when they could sell it is more complicated. Your act is very srtong because it is radically against capitalism. No risk for the economy, though: there will always be enough greed, somewhere, to end the "pay it forward" chains.

Sorry again for the doubts I have had.

Pens I use very often: Lamy Accent ("EF": fine), Lamy Accent ("1.1": medium italic), Pilot Custom ("FA": extra-fine flexible).

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Inka

• Rotomobees

• Sailor Kenshin

For whatever reason I never doubted this was for real, having amassed some fairly large collections of non-pen items over the years and weeding them out by gifting and sometimes selling them.

What I doubted was my own ability to ever ask for anything, as my wife and I have always been the giving kind, we're not used to taking anything when offered unless it was almost thrust upon us.

I had been trying to imagine the magnitude of such a pen collection, since I've never as much as stepped foot inside a major pen show in my lifetime.

Come to think of it, I’ve never even been inside a storefront that carried nice fountain pens, just a few office supply places that had a few Mont Blanc and Cross pens on display.

Just trying to imagine all the pens in one place had boggled my mind, I'd love to be able to see them all let alone have any of them for myself, I would definitely enjoy just looking and learning about as many as I could.

Simply amazing, thoughtful, generous, beyond mere words, ...

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Kariboo, you want to post what size nibs you prefer, in case some of us have what you like and feel motivated? Best of luck with the green card and let us know how it goes. I'm honored to have you here. :cloud9:

Kariboo, you want to post what size nibs you prefer, in case some of us have what you like and feel motivated? Best of luck with the green card and let us know how it goes. I'm honored to have you here. :cloud9:

Thank you Ghost Plane, that is good to know.

And so very nice of you to think of me. Please no one feel that you need to send me something. I just wanted to say what I felt. There is probably some poor student without a FP that really needs one. Having said that I think I like medium to broad nibs, something that has a nice juicy line so to speak. My grandfathers pen is a stainless steel parker 45 with supposedly a fine nib, however I love how it writes and it is a pretty wide line approx 3/4 of a mm by the looks of it. Love that pen.

Kariboo

Dear Rob (Rotomobees),

just read your post and I am honoured to be in a forum with a member like you.

It's alright to lose interest in things. What is moving is your faith in people - as you say 'a joy in helping others'. Your receipients will be very happy for what you are doing as a part of you and your kindness will accompany each pen.

If you are ever come to my part of the world - Singapore, please PM or email me (solomonvarma@hotmail.com). It would be a pleasure to meet and shoot the breeze.

Stay well,

Solomon

WTB: Unusual and prototype Sheaffer Connaisseurs, Grande Connaisseurs and Parker Premiers.

Guys,

Thanks a lot, and this is really a moving thread. I never expected Wendy to offer to pay for shipping costs for a pen of my choice (I chose a Vanishing Point, by the by...though strangely, my nib preferences are flexible and fine.) and certainly never expected Kenshin to offer to send me sample pens.

I've always been scared to ask for anything, because I always thought I might come off as being too selfish for thinking of what I would like. bphollin, that is amazing--how small the world seems sometimes.

Like the header of the PM Kenshin sent me, this is certainly a Great Pen Giveaway, or a Pay it Forward thing (only, it's with pens.)

I know I always say this, but I'm happy that somewhere, kindness still exists in the world we live in. :)

Lachesis

Dear All-- It was quite a surprise when I got a reply back from rotomobees that said I live 30 minutes away and why don't I stop by some time to pick out something for myself. Talk about small world! I just got back from his home and I have to say I'm floored. I've never seen that many fountain pens in one place. What a treat to see them all.

Brandon,

Thanks for posting pics of the pens. I would never get around to doing it. Thanks also for letting people know that this is for real and that I'm not trying to manipulate folks into false admiration for me. My real motivation is to share these pens with people who will use them rather than leave them to sit and decay in my cabinet. Many people have mentioned to me in messages that they now feel like giving a pen to someone. Again, this is was never in my thoughts, viz., to start a "pay it forward" movement. But I'm thrilled that some readers have been motivated so. Imagine what a revolutionary and dangerous idea it is to just give stuff away. I'm not using something so I give it to someone else. That person no longer has to spend money to purchase the item. What if everyone started to do this, even to a small extent? The entire economy could be undermined. It would change the value we place on things. No longer would we look to things to make us happy but as items to make for better human living.

Rob (Rotomobees)

Creating a "pay it forward" chain would be a great result of your action. Though, giving things for free is not exactly a new idea. America, from what I have read, is the first country in the world in terms of volunteering, with about 100.000.000 of them. I have met some of them. These people are doing that for better human living. There are also taxes. Democratic governments have the same aim. Taxes are spent on education, healthcare (sorry to raise this controversy, but most European people consider this as a necessary) and security.

On the other hand, giving material objects, with high value on market, is seldom seen. When it comes to money, people usually do not give. Nobody is happy to pay tax. People will gladly give used clothes to some association if they think those are worthless, but giving that second watch they do not use when they could sell it is more complicated. Your act is very srtong because it is radically against capitalism. No risk for the economy, though: there will always be enough greed, somewhere, to end the "pay it forward" chains.

Sorry again for the doubts I have had.

Rotomobees has started something good here.

And sorry, but America is also a fiscally charitable nation. There is nothing wrong with not wishing to overpay taxes either, nor is there anything wrong with capitalism. Thank God, our good fortune allows me to supply needs for others. We are called upon to do so.

And I may speak only for myself as regards to clothes but the ones I (regularly) give away are not junk nor worthless. They may not be high-end but they are neat, clean and gently used, (as can be said for the small appliances and accessories we donate) and I have seen the recipients glow with happiness when they waylay me as I'm carrying the stuff from my car to the parish social ministries.

A reaction like that makes a person feel absurdly happy. And I bet I'm not the only one.

I've given away pens before. However, this thread inspired me to actually organize the many pens I won't be using, or the duplicates, and put them somewhere accessible so I can hand them out. I already found a home for quite a few.

I would donate them to the social ministry but I fear that people will try to write with an empty Hero and think that it doesn't work and just throw it away.

PS: Maybe best summed up by saying there are both generous and greedy people at all income levels and from all political strata.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Rob,

I would really enjoy meeting you. I sent you a PM a couple days ago, but it's probably WAY down on your list.

I'd love to create something special to hold and display a few of what end up as your regular users.

Bill

=)

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/pensnwands/Stands/

I should have mentioned that I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. So if anyone is near me, let me know and I'll be happy to meet up.

I noticed a few posts about giving stuff away and wanted to mention a great tv series shown here in the UK.

It was about a very high powered retail executive who had a lot of experience in business who had had a previous series helping to turn around failing shops.

She then approached a charity (I think Save the Children) with a view to improving charity shops. She did, and it was very heartwarming.

It was a 6 months long pilot project that was obviously hard work for all involved.

She was making the point that she was happy -in principle- to donate a handbag that had cost her £600 but she wanted the charity (and the eventual buyer) to get a fair deal and the full benefit of that gift.

One of the things they did was to arrange drop in days in offices. They found people were really delighted to give generously and often and were really happy to know that their fashion mistakes were going to be properly marketed, at a very reasonable price, and not just sold for £2 when they should have been sold for £20. (for example)

all i can say is WOW. You're really kind.

Pens in Rotation:

Parker 51 Aerometric, somewhere between XF and F

Parker 45 Flighter, F nib

Sheaffer Agio, F nib

Sheaffer Snorkel, M5 nib

Sailor Lecoule, F nib

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I just got my Pelikan Blue Celluloid Originals of Their Times - WOW! I never thought I would own this pen, and it is on my desk inked and ready for work. I cannot thank Rob enough for his amiable and charitable comtribution to myself and all who will recieve a pen from him. This just made my year - every time I use this pen (which will be often) I will think of Rob, and the story behind it.

Regards

George

Rob, this is a great thing you are doing. The pens in your collection will bring you so much more joy when they are gone than when you had them. As has been said before, pens really are just material objects. But, they become something more when they are used and loved and have a great story and meaning behind them.

Giving really is great. I've just finished my Eagle Scout project at a shelter for battered women after putting in hundreds of hours of work, and it is an amazing feeling to know that I have really helped people who are really in need. Your generosity, Rob, must give you a similar feeling.

Although I have yet to buy a "real" fountain pen, I have, I think, realized (in part with the help of this thread) that, at least for me, just having pens is not what it's about. During my relentless and ongoing research of all things pen and ink, I've developed quite the list of "I've got to get that pen," "That pen's beautiful! I've got to get it!," etc. I looked back on the list and started eliminating pens thinking, "I don't really need that" or "That really has no meaning or use for me." Maybe once I purchase a pen those feelings will come back, who knows...

Again, good job. :thumbup:

-Michael

Edited by f22pilot72

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Douglas Adams

I'm coming to this thread late, but I haven't seen what I think is the important question: do you still enjoy writing with your pens? Are there still a few that you take pride in and keep inked and use frequently?

I have almost totally lost interest in acquiring new writing pens. The only pens I've been buying lately are for my studio, trying to find and compare the best tools for drawing. I've probably spent less on my array of at least three dozen new and vintage rapidographs than on any two of my higher end fountain pens, so it's less dangerous, and it's also a function of gaining mastery with my tools. I'm still very interested in all my pens and occasionally I think of a fountain pen that I might like to have, but for the most part it doesn't cross my mind.

So I think it's totally natural to lose focus on acquisition if you have enough of the things that you're acquiring. I think I've stopped at "more than enough" and I have far fewer. I'll probably buy more pens in the future, but I don't have any plans to now.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

post-29382-1250720840_thumb.jpg

Now THAT made me smile!

:thumbup:

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

That's fantastic! Nice job.

I say "Babe you look like a ghost

And sound like a Dalek to me"

So let's go back to the written word

Even though we both know it's absurd -- Kirsty MacColl, "Here Comes That Man Again"

I think this is contagious, as I've found myself giving things away even more so lately than I had been doing previously.

Or instead of selling things as I was, I've begun to simply trade my unused treasures for those of someone else’s unused treasures.

My heartfelt and soulful thanks to FPN forum member bphollin, for his recently gifting to me the *gorgeous [*IMO], yet comfortably understated “Mustard” - colored Pilot VP he’d obtained from forum member rotomobees! I’d wanted to at least try a Vanishing Point for many years. Even more than that I’ve wanted to get the “Mustard” in particular above all others from the first time I’d seen one on the Net. It’s hard enough to comprehend getting what was previously an unobtainable VP, but to actually get the very same VP I’d been wanting is a truly wonderful and heretofore unimaginable thing. I can’t even begin to thank either of you enough, for your kindness and generosity!

I just got this in the mail today, haven't really had much time to try it more than a couple of pages.

It's the only fountain pen that fits inside my Pocket Jotter, I carry the Jotter with me everywhere I go.

My writer for long letters is still my Pelikan M800 but that wouldn't fit inside my Jotter, just too thi[c]k, but this VP fits as if made for it!

Be on the lookout, for a full review coming soon, with more pictures [including this one again], just as soon as I get more time to upload it all.

Here's a teaser/trailer, just for starters...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/MustardizedPocketJotter03.jpg

Thanks again, guys, you've both made this old dog learn a new trick, how to smile again and find happiness in the little things in life.

Hey, sure they're just "things", but how do you put a value on happiness when some "thing" like this can bring so much joy into an otherwise rough [and often painful] life?

Bless you both, many times over...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Inka

Very nice! I've been wanting a VP for a while now, too. Perfect ink colour choice, too!

Glad you liked the doodle!

Edited by Anton Emdin

Anton Emdin

Illustrations & Cartoons

www.antonemdin.com

UPDATE:

Finished my reveiw of the VP I was given as a gift, posted it here if anyone is interested.

;)

I'm worn out now, haven't done a full reveiw of anything in years.

I hope someone gets some enjoyment out of it, as I'm off now to try not passing out and just enjoy my new pen.

Be seeing ya's again soon!

:vbg: