Losing interest in pens

Rotomobees

I think we all seem to go through an accumulation stage until we figure out the pens we like and want to use on a regular basis, and pare our collections down to that number.

As we reach the contentment stage -- enjoying the pens we have instead of chasing after new ones -- we naturally lose interest.

My regular rotation is dominated by the Parker "51" and the Sheaffer Triumph, to me the pinnacle of pen design and technology. Once I came to that conclusion, I started buying fewer pens.

Your sentiments reflect my own, thanks. :thumbup:

"God's not interested in operating a brownie-point system - he's only interested in loving and forgiving those who are brave enough not to deny what they've done. . . brave enough to be truly sorry, brave enough to resolve to make a fresh start in serving him as well as they possibly can" Susan Howatch

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Inka

• Rotomobees

• Sailor Kenshin

I have found that, in many ways, less can really be more.

I am happier with less. I just recently traded and gave away ALL of the pens I did not use--only got one pen back in return. It feels great to just have the pens i love. I have a use for each one and no "extras" laying around nagging me that i do not use them.

I say take a break from acquiring--use 2-3 of your favorites for a while and enjoy them.

www.stevelightart.com

Most of us run hot and cold. I have a collection of Disney comics as well as a collection of Confederate paper money. I enjoyed accumulating both of these but I've not bought much of either in the last couple of years. That's not to say that I don't like having what I have but my interests have shifted and now I'm hooked on fountain pens.

In my case, I'll retain my collections and display some examples of them in my office. I enjoyed learning a lot about comics and antique notes. I have good memories of my great finds and occasional foolish excesses. And, I now have the collections that are both a pleasure to occasionally peruse and appreciate. The experience is not unlike having pictures and souvenirs from a long and pleasurable trip. You' may be be surprised how much you may enjoy pulling out some of those pens a couple of years from now.

For anyone who regularly uses their FP it never really goes away. What does happen is that the desire to acquire them comes in phases. Sometimes you can't get enough and at other times there is contentment and the feeling that there is no need to chase an objective that seemingly can never be satisfied.

Thank you for all your comments. Let me address a few issues. First, I am not depressed, or at least not any more depressed than normal. I am reluctant to engage in self-revelation, but I am a recovering alcoholic (7 years sober), and I am very familiar with depression. This isn't depression; it's rather a realization that having too much stuff makes one's life miserable. How do you enjoy a pen when you don't even know how many you have or even where they all are?

Second, I've decided to offer many of my pens to the pen collecting community. I know this seems ridiculous, but PM me, and I'll consider your request. If you want to pay, fine. If your situation is tight, then consider it a gift. Just send me a check to cover the shipping.

Third, the reason I never sold my pens is that I don't want to deal with mean people who might not be pleased with what is received. Life is too short, and I don't have time for customer service. So if you are a mean person, don't bother asking. If you're a good person who loves pens and will take care of and use them, contact me. One other thing, don't expect great customer service from me, but I will do my best to respond to all requests in some fashion.

Fourth, I really would prefer to give these pens to people in need. So tell me why you want a particular pen. I have pens from almost every maker. I have a soft heart and I find joy in helping others, but I want to have some assurance that a person is not just being greedy. Having all these pens is not making anyone happy, particularly me.

Fifth, I'll run this offer for 48 hours (midnight Thursday MST) because I don't want to be overwhelmed. Also, my goal is not to eliminate my pen collection but to get it down to an ethically reasonable size.

Finally, if this is a stupid idea, then ignore this post.

Edited by Rotomobees

I gave up music for about 10 years and when I came back to it I came back with more hunger than ever. We all ebb and flow. Take time out.

Thanks

Sounds like you're, ah, ready to lighten up.

Hee.

You've made a generous offer, and I'm sure there will be plenty to take you up on it.

If you have any sentimental attachment to any of your pens or to your collection as a whole, I suggest taking photos.

I like to travel -- and live -- lightly (present pen "collection," still modest I think, notwithstanding), and I've been able to let go of stuff after realizing that I like the association of the thing rather than the responsibility for the thing itself and that a photograph of the thing works just as well to conjure the pleasant (or merely nostalgic) associations as having the thing itself.

Probably just knowing that I have the images somewhere on my hard drive or archived to a USB external drive suffices. Is that cheating? *Shrugs* It's a way of having, I guess.

Be well, Rotomobees.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I recently saw someone's collection who had 10 times the pens that I had. To be honest, I was not impressed. I think every pen should tell a story. There should be something interesting about a pen. Having 15 different color variations of a Parker 51 or an Esterbrook doesn't interest me. I'm interested in a pen with a blow-filling mechanism, or a magnet that retains the cap in place.

I have told the story of my grandmother's cook book collection. Just like cookbooks, pens, in my opinion, are meant to be used, not put away in a box.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

Your focus is changing. Write with them now.

Hey -- that's what I was going to say!

Doug

Roto, You're sweet to make opportunities for others. I have to agree with you, as I periodically make passes through my house and possessions, shocked by the abundance. Charities and used bookstores love me.

My criteria is to check if I've used something in the last year or if it has a special meaning to me. If not, it seems like clearing what isn't loved brings room for other things to enter your life.

What was your initial attraction? What was all the accumulation about? Whatever you do though, don't make a move unless you are certain the passion has gone, 'cause I know what regret feels like.

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. The pen that started it all was the Vanishing Point, and it's still the only pen that I will buy when new colors are rolled out. As for selling them, it's just too much trouble -- posting them, accepting offers, shipping them off. I never thought of pens as an investment, and I really don't need the money I would raise by selling them. My financial situation is unlikely to change, so I don't anticipate finding a motivation to sell them either. I do enjoy giving them to friends who express interest in fountain pens, but there aren't too many of those! I've always thought that I would just will them someone who loves fountain pens, but I don't anticipate finding a grave for many decades.

If selling them seems like a daunting task, there are a few members here who will sell FPs on consignment. Look in the Marketplace.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

A pen exchange?

I wrote Roto directly and asked him. His interest in selling the collection gave me an idea. What would happen in, say, 9 months, that Roto suddenly wished he had not sold his pen. Then he would want it back. But he sold it. My idea would be to have a pen exchange. For example, I have always wanted to write with a Chilton pen, just to say I've done it. In that case, I would send him/her one of my pens and we would exchange pens. In Roto's case, I was thinking he just wanted to dump his collection. So one could borrow or lease the pen for awhile. We all have pens in our collection that we would never sell, but we rarely use. I'm certain this idea has been around for years and I just figured it out on my own. I'm always 5 years behind the times.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

Thank you for all your comments. Let me address a few issues. First, I am not depressed, or at least not any more depressed than normal. I am reluctant to engage in self-revelation, but I am a recovering alcoholic (7 years sober), and I am very familiar with depression. This isn't depression; it's rather a realization that having too much stuff makes one's life miserable. How do you enjoy a pen when you don't even know how many you have or even where they all are?

Second, I've decided to offer many of my pens to the pen collecting community. I know this seems ridiculous, but PM me, and I'll consider your request. If you want to pay, fine. If your situation is tight, then consider it a gift. Just send me a check to cover the shipping.

Third, the reason I never sold my pens is that I don't want to deal with mean people who might not be pleased with what is received. Life is too short, and I don't have time for customer service. So if you are a mean person, don't bother asking. If you're a good person who loves pens and will take care of and use them, contact me. One other thing, don't expect great customer service from me, but I will do my best to respond to all requests in some fashion.

Fourth, I really would prefer to give these pens to people in need. So tell me why you want a particular pen. I have pens from almost every maker. I have a soft heart and I find joy in helping others, but I want to have some assurance that a person is not just being greedy. Having all these pens is not making anyone happy, particularly me.

Fifth, I'll run this offer for 48 hours (midnight Thursday MST) because I don't want to be overwhelmed. Also, my goal is not to eliminate my pen collection but to get it down to an ethically reasonable size.

Finally, if this is a stupid idea, then ignore this post.

This is not a stupid idea, it is a very generous gesture. If this is what you'd like to do, and if you feel it will help then by all means do it. However, if you think you will regret it then you might want to take a bit more time to think about it.

There are many people in this community who love pens but are on a shoe string budget, so I'm sure you will have plenty of takers. At least you will know the pens will be put to use.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

So far I have received about 20 requests. It won't make a dent in my collection, not even in the high end pens. Giving them away feels like the right thing to do. I don't intend to liquidate the entire collection. I just just don't see the need to keep all these pens no matter what their value is. I have pens I love and use, but most of them are just sitting in a little slot. To those who have made requests, I will be answering you in the next few days. I'm very busy right now so I have to pace myself. By the way, if you do want a pen, please include your address so that I'll know where to send it.

Rotomobees, I'm troubled you might regret this later. Do you want to do a loaner program with some of us where we hang onto your babies and use them gently, but keep track in case you decide you made a mistake and want them back?

Rotomobees, what you're doing is really cool. It will help expand the great siblinghood of the nib, and appreciation of fountain pens in general. After this phase of your fountainpenhood is complete, and you've had time to reflect on it, please let us know your thoughts. I would be interested in that, and I think others would too. You have dived deeply into the ink well, and your insights would be appreciated.

Doug

Rotomobees, I'm troubled you might regret this later. Do you want to do a loaner program with some of us where we hang onto your babies and use them gently, but keep track in case you decide you made a mistake and want them back?

I think that's a good idea. I'm also wondering if maybe he should include a clause that prevents them from being sold. Selling one of these pens would seem to go against the spirit of his gift. I think if someone gets something they can't connect with they should either give it back to him to pay it forward to someone else in this community.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

i recently purchased a brand new Mont Blanc 144 for around $170 on impulse because it's such a great deal; however, and as i wait for it to come in the mail this wednesday or thursday, i've already decided i'm going to put it on the Market place here (probably by thursday) for $150 or for a trade for a pel m200 and some merlinas. now, what i want for a trade are nowhere near as nice, but i want a few pens that i can use daily that are practical and make me smile.

That may be a mistake you'll regret later. The 144 is a workhorse and you should consider simply using it as an every day pen.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

What was your initial attraction? What was all the accumulation about? Whatever you do though, don't make a move unless you are certain the passion has gone, 'cause I know what regret feels like.

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. The pen that started it all was the Vanishing Point, and it's still the only pen that I will buy when new colors are rolled out. As for selling them, it's just too much trouble -- posting them, accepting offers, shipping them off. I never thought of pens as an investment, and I really don't need the money I would raise by selling them. My financial situation is unlikely to change, so I don't anticipate finding a motivation to sell them either. I do enjoy giving them to friends who express interest in fountain pens, but there aren't too many of those! I've always thought that I would just will them someone who loves fountain pens, but I don't anticipate finding a grave for many decades.

Favorite Pens...Pelikan M7000 Majesties (have 6) and Waterman Leman 100's Old Style All Silver (have 4).

Favorite Inks: Noodlers...Love Ottoman Azure and Ottoman Rose.

Favorite Paper: Beckett Expression Super Smooth in 24 lb. Writing and 70 lb. Text weight.

It's not at all uncommon for intelligent people to have multiple interests that wax and wane as life goes on.

Some of us are on a faster curve than others so the waxing and waning goes quickly.

I, for example, have interests in Fountain Pens, Jewelry Making, Gem Cutting, Kumihimo, Cooking, Reading, Writing and a number of the Needlework Arts.

Sometimes I'll go for a couple of months without doing one of them but the "equipment" and materials for doing them are always kept at hand so I can spend time doing it if I want.

In your case you may have a very long curve and you might lose interest for a while but I have no doubt it will return....maybe with a vengance...in the future.

In the meantime you can reflect and see which part of the collecting fascinates you most and concentrate on improving that for when the desire to start collecting again starts up.

Favorite Pens...Pelikan M7000 Majesties (have 6) and Waterman Leman 100's Old Style All Silver (have 4).

Favorite Inks: Noodlers...Love Ottoman Azure and Ottoman Rose.

Favorite Paper: Beckett Expression Super Smooth in 24 lb. Writing and 70 lb. Text weight.