Senator Regent

PekkaT

Yep, I got this one from Finnish online auction (once again).

The seller said it's from the ´60s and somehoe I believe her.

The box has original plastic sleeve in 100% condition, as are all of the items.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/tuhkanen/Nayte/senator_1.jpg

The pen has two "funny" things I've never run across before (well, I'm quite a newcommer what it comes to vintage fountain pens):

1. It's "piston filler" - but the piston is under a cap:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/tuhkanen/Nayte/senator_2.jpg

2. It came with a separate extension piece - to be used as "a desk pen" (if wanted) as the booklet included said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/tuhkanen/Nayte/senator_3.jpg

The inkbottle is full, but I haven't yet tested how it writes.

Nib is medium and it has text "Senator iridium Germany" (wonder what "iridium" means...?)

Anyway, I think I've found a keeper!

"When you point your finger 'cos your plan fell through

You got three more fingers pointing back at you."

Dire Straits: Solid Rock

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PekkaT

• southpaw

• Blorgy

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Iridium" refers to a mixture of hard metals used to create a durable tip on the nib. See the entry in Richard's glossary for a little bit more information.

Very nice looking pen. The piston knob under the cap means it's an integral piston converter - a fairly common filling system (CS uses them, among others). Ink 'er up and show us (and tell us) how it writes! Nice set.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the link to the Richard's glossary :)

Oh, I will ink 'er up and tell the results.

Thank you for the replies!

Very nice looking pen.  The piston knob under the cap means it's an integral piston converter - a fairly common filling system (CS uses them, among others).  Ink 'er up and show us (and tell us) how it writes!  Nice set.

I have only seen photos of Senator Regents, but I thought that the ink was in the barrel itself, rather like a Pelikan M200. In the September 2001 edition of Stylophiles, there was a clear window in the barrel of the Senator Regent, which was a new pen.

Edited by Blorgy

Mine has green window.

Do you mean mine isn't from the '60s...? :(

Mine has green window.

Do you mean mine isn't from the '60s...? :(

I am afraid I do not know how old your pen is, but sixties sounds just fine to me.

I like piston fillers, like your Senator Regent. I was puzzled when southpaw wrote "integral piston converter". To me that suggests a large tube within a larger tube, that is ink inside a tube which itself is inside the barrel. My Stipula has ink inside a large tube within a larger tube.

My guess was that your pen had ink inside the barrel itself, but it was only a guess. I am just thinking aloud. :). The "piston knob under the cap" might only indicate that the pen was designed for optional conversion into a desk pen.

Edited by Blorgy

I am afraid I do not know how old your pen is, but sixties sounds just fine to me.

My guess was that your pen had ink inside the barrel itself, but it was only a guess. I am just thinking aloud. :).

Well, at least the box says "made in West-Germany" and that land disappeared - er- a few years ago.

So at least that old this set is. ;)

You are thinking just right. :)

I was puzzled when southpaw wrote "integral piston converter".

:blush: That's because sp was wrong.

My bad - just took a quick look at it. On modern pens, a piston knob under the blind cap almost by default means integral converter. However, on this pen, it does indeed appear to be a true piston filler.

Regardless, it looks great. How does it write?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Regardless, it looks great.  How does it write?

It writes pretty well, I think.

Writes pretty smooth - not at all as "scratchy" as is my vintage Pelikan.

Nib doesn't dry too easily - as does my Waterman from (about) 1943. (That's little bit sad, because I think it's very beautiful pen otherways. Well, I must write with it much more often ;) :) )

Only drawback is; to be M nib it's quite narrow. I wished it to be little bit wider.

To be honest I feel just now too lazy to photograph the paper I did the writing test.

I think I scan it when I wisit my workplace someday or -evening (I'm on summer vacation just now).

Pekka

Edited by PekkaT

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

I thought that I would freshen up this post. I was lucky enough to find one these pens at a reasonable price. The pen writes brilliantly, solid construction and great to look at. You see them around from time to time so be sure to pick one up if you have the opportunity.

• 4 years later...

Reviving this thread again. I managed to pick up a Senator, probably a Regent, recently, and I agree, it's a very nicely made pen and writes very well. The only drawback to the one I got is that the gold plating on the steel nib is worn and pitted, and cosmetically not attractive. Also it is either a stub or a cursive italic (sort of halfway in between) and I would prefer another type of nib, so I would like to replace it, It is a nib unit, which I can screw out, but I have not yet been able to find another one that is likely to fit. Any clues in that direction greatly appreciated.

I bought one at a pen show last year without knowing anything about them. Agree it's a very nice pen and I've had it inked ever since.

Paul, I read somewhere here on FPN that a Reform nib unit will fit. I haven't tried it yet, so can't verify.

Thanks for the suggestion. I happen to have a Reform 1745 so I tried it with that nib unit. It's about the right size, but the threads are a lot more coarse, so no go. Maybe an older Reform might work.

I've also tried Esterbrook and Kaweco nib units, neither of which would work. I've looked at Pelikan nib units online and they don't seem right either. The problem with most of the nib units I can see online is that the threads are in the wrong position on the unit. I think the Reform would have been about right in that regard, if the threads had matched.

I have a Regent in burgundy

it is quite a nice little pen, perhaps somewhat light, but very handy

fpn_1562363293__p1160570-3_senator_regen

• 2 years later...