The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Japanese Music Nib shootout

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 maqueropro

maqueropro

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:32

Next up: Pilot vs Platinum?

Platinum of course!

Sponsored Content

#22 chitinid

chitinid

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 00:59

I second the platinum. I got it recently, and it writes incredibly smoothly, but not so much that you can't control the nib. Additionally, I can actually write with the back of my nib (which seems safe, as both sides have tipping material), which gives a dryer, thinner line that writes like a 0.5mm cursive italic.

#23 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2014 - 18:38

I did not get a Sailor because its Music nib does not have two slits. Platinum's Music nib lays down a thick line in a smooth manner, which I like. 

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#24 arran

arran

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2014 - 20:12

I have both in my collection
The platinum gibes more line variation and gives more feedback while writing
The sailor is much softer and wetter in writing!Overall a much smoother writer.
I have no special preference

#25 SippinZin

SippinZin

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:03

I've been thinking about what to get next, and your review helped steer me to the Platinum with the music nib. I'm a little heavy-handed, so it sounds like the Platinum will give me the smoothest writing experience. Thank you for the review!

#26 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 00:41

Thank you for this. I now have both and for regular writing, I prefer the Sailor, but it was also customized for me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#27 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:38

Why did you necro bump a six year old thread, amber?

Not even mods are immune, I guess  :P

And to contribute something so I don't just come across as a jerk, in case anyone else is interested, Bock has recently released a 14k 3 tine #6 music nib that screws into their standard 250 housings, which runs around $150 USD.

I have one on the way. Supposedly it's quite flexible.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 06 May 2020 - 01:38.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#28 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 15:47

And to contribute something so I don't just come across as a jerk, in case anyone else is interested, Bock has recently released a 14k 3 tine #6 music nib that screws into their standard 250 housings, which runs around $150 USD.

Hmmm... Wonder if it will ever appear as an option on a Ranga group buy :D

#29 mpkandan

mpkandan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 16:45

Hmmm... Wonder if it will ever appear as an option on a Ranga group buy :D

Sure Sir in the Coming months

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

#30 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2020 - 17:31

Sure Sir in the Coming months

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

I'll have to look into that! :)

#31 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:11

Why did you necro bump a six year old thread, amber?

Not even mods are immune, I guess  :P

I have one on the way. Supposedly it's quite flexible.

Actually, I support Necro posting. Otherwise valuable information gets lost in our archives and does not always show up in our searches (I've been unable to find some of my ink posts).  That being said, I didn't catch the date.  How did you like the new Bock nib?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#32 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2020 - 02:09

Actually, I support Necro posting. Otherwise valuable information gets lost in our archives and does not always show up in our searches (I've been unable to find some of my ink posts).  That being said, I didn't catch the date.  How did you like the new Bock nib?

I some cases, I agree, but we see so many necro bumped threads with dead image links (this one being a rare exception) that it's just frustrating.

Photobucket's BS change a few years ago practically broke internet forum archiving single handedly. They also recently bought tinypic and killed it just to help grow their awful little monopoly.

Nib's still in the post, I had to order it from the UK. But I planned on putting it into a ranga 4c, which is a little funny.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 10 May 2020 - 02:10.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#33 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2020 - 02:30

I have both. For my immediate purposes I'm using Franklin Christoph, not Japanese of course. Is this a great fountain pen diversity or not?

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

#34 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 992 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 15:55

OP here. Surprised to see this bumped too, I completely forgot about this posting years ago. I have not had the Sailor for many years. I had another Sailor with the same nib that has also passed out of my hands. Still have the Platinum but have not used for some time. Been so focused on urushi and maki-e pens otherwise nice writing but plain jane pens like the this Platinum go unused. That, and the pen size is a bit too small for me. Oh well, things change. 

#35 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2020 - 19:43

OP here. Surprised to see this bumped too, I completely forgot about this posting years ago. I have not had the Sailor for many years. I had another Sailor with the same nib that has also passed out of my hands. Still have the Platinum but have not used for some time. Been so focused on urushi and maki-e pens otherwise nice writing but plain jane pens like the this Platinum go unused. That, and the pen size is a bit too small for me. Oh well, things change. 

If you're interested in giving the platinum nib new life, reach out to eureka pens. He sells large, pretty custom urushi/ebonite bodies that the platinum section screws into for very reasonable prices.

Sponsored Content

|