The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review Lamy Safari Pink and Orange

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 woodworker

woodworker

Woodworker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:08

Moren and bigger pictures you can find on my blog InkyJournal
Well they arrived yesterday by mail. I ordered them on Sunday at PenGallery. In only three days from Kuala Lumpur to The Netherlands, I found that very quick service . I'm still looking to buy the white one and the lime one if I can find them. Well these two (Pink and Orange) are added to my collection. I hope you like the pictures because their where some odd looking faces in my direction around our house when I took the pictures..... ;-)
Posted Image
Posted Image
I know their are a lot of reviews on the net about this pen. Here you can read my opinion. I just could not bare the thought of not having a review of my new Lamy Safari's on my blog.

Unpacking
Lamy has great boxes they are shipped in. I like the way they do it. So here's kind of an Apple-like-unpacking-session. When you buy them at PenGallery they come with converter and one black ink cartridge (wich I never use). Lamy only have their one cartridges. So beware of buying other cartridges for your pen.
Posted Image
Posted Image

History
Since the 1930's Lamy has been producing writing instruments that have become the favorite of many. The Lamy Safari was designed by Wolfgang Fabian and is produced since 1980. The pen is made of plain ABS plastic, original made in red, yellow and blue. The barrel is round with flat front and back. The grip is sort a triangular. The Lamy Safari has a steel nib which is very sturdy. Lamy had this pen made aimed for young people. But I think a lot of older people like the pen also. The Lamy Safari is also known as the starter fountain pen.
Posted Image

Writing
This pen writes like a tank. Never slips or slides. I always choose fine-nibs. I tried different kind of inks: Noodler's, Montblanc, Private Reserve and J. Herbin. All came out very good. For the written review below I took Noodler's Saguaro Wine (purple-pink), the color matched so nicely with the pink-pen.
Posted Image
In the writter report I wrote:
"Thursday, august 8, 2009

I filled the Lamy Safari Pink (fine nib) with Noodler's Saguaro Wine. The color matches great with the color of the pen.

The pen writes great, the flow of the ink is good. Their is no bleedtrough on this Moleskine-paper with this combination pen-nib-ink.

The nib is the only thing which I think is minor. It is a steel nib and it is a little bit stiff in my opinion.

Great pen!

Woodworker"

Facts
lenght: 139mm (5,47") - with cap over the nib-side (I think you call it capped??)
lenght: 129mm (5,08") - without cap and ready to write
niblength: 17mm (0,67")
barrel: 12mm (0,47")
price: about $ 22,= to $ 35,= (€ 15,= to € 25,=)

+ The pen writes like a tank
+ The pen is very durable
+ The pen is cheap but does not write or feel cheap.
+ Their are a lot of color's available
+ The pen will have for sure a cult-status in the near future.
+ See trough ink window

- The steel nib could have a little more 'feel'.
- Some people find them cheap looking

Posted Image
look also on my website http://inkyjournal.blogspot.com

Sponsored Content

#2 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:57

Thanks for a nice review. I really like your photos! Don't listen to those people who find them cheap looking - this is pens which don't pretend to be something they are not - function, durability and quality for a very low cost. In my view cheap looking pens are blingy, pretentious pens. Enjoy your Safaris!
*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

#3 orangeaurora

orangeaurora

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2009 - 14:06

Your photos are lovely and very professional looking! Good reviews of the pens, too. I bought a pink Safari with an Italic 1.1 nib recently and am thrilled with it. Gotta have an orange one now, since that's my favorite color!

#4 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 14:07

Nice review, with some impressive photos!

I love Safaris and I have some 20 (including the Al Stars, the Joys and a Vista), but my "pusher" here told me that the Pink will be available from September. I'll have to look to your pictures since then!

Cheers,

#5 djh

djh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 17:08

A great review- many thanks. I am also a big fan of Lamy and have lots of their pens (not just the Safari). It is nice to be able to have a pen for each colour of ink that I would like to use :)
I recently bought 10 of the pink Safaris and will be distributing them to my nieces and the daughters of friends when I visit Australia next month (the boys will be getting blue and black pens).
David

#6 fishert22

fishert22

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:08

Thats a great review with some superb photos. I'm waiting for my Pink Safari to arrive hopefully later this week if its not delayed by the UK postal strike!

#7 ladyinthemists

ladyinthemists

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2009 - 18:48

I just ordered my own pink Safari with an ink converter after reading this review. Thanks, woodworker, I'm looking forward to receiving my new pen soon.

She who laughs, lasts 

#8 sona

sona

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:17

I just bought those two colours myself and absolutely love them, I'm a huge Lamy Safari fan! My Dad, who is a Parker enthusiast says they're a little cheap looking, but I say show me a Parker that comes in such fun colours. Thanks for the review and I absolutely love the photos - they really do the pens justice!

#9 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 20:39

how did I miss this review?
Very well done! excellent photos, Thank You!

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

Sponsored Content

|