FS Chilton Long Island Pen

litobrancha

<snipped ebay link> Sorry for breaking the rules, I had no idea. It is on Ebay if you look for it until august 13 but if it doesn't sell there then I'll let you guys know

1930s vintage Chilton Long Island fountain pen. 14 K gold nubbin. Pen ~ 5 inches with cap. Filling mechanism works. I don't know much about pens but I know this one is beautiful. I found this pen at an estate sale along with some vintage ink bottles, none looked as if they had been used in years. I've cleaned the mechanism and cap and the pen is in fabulous shape. Collectors and pen aficionados value Chilton pens for the quality of the ink delivery mechanism and the art deco style plastic construction. The pen has the number 47 imprinted on the end. The clip has the patent number 1808045, which is apparently a patent for the spring loaded clip mechanism that is not limited to Chilton pens and dates the pen to at least 1929. The shaft of the pen says "patent pending" but I'm not sure to what patent that refers to.

Edited to add Can anyone tell me what the 47 signifies?

Edited by litobrancha

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• litobrancha

• Rick Krantz

• tsunami31

check out my site, www.chiltonpens.com. It is a 1930-1935 era pen. Largest size available in that color. Nice item, unfortunately, I think the FPN powers that be will frown upon a direct link to an ebay auction, it is against board policy. I would think that if you want to put it up here for sale, you might get some responses.

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

check out my site, www.chiltonpens.com. It is a 1930-1935 era pen. Largest size available in that color. Nice item, unfortunately, I think the FPN powers that be will frown upon a direct link to an ebay auction, it is against board policy. I would think that if you want to put it up here for sale, you might get some responses.

I believe Market Watch is the one permitted exception to that rule.

Regards Richard

Regards Richard

Current users:

Striped Conklin Nozac (F/XF nib)

Tortoiseshell Sailor Magellan (F nib)

Grey Levenger Seas Sheaffer (F nib)

Delta Dolcevita (Stub nib)

yes, I can tell you what the 47 signifies...

the one number coorespondes to the size of the pen, denoting a 3 ring senior size pen, with a larger sized nib. a different number would signify a deco band oversize, but in this particular color, there was never a deco band oversize made, but geez, I could be wrong.

the other number cooresponds to the black and bronze material that the pen is made of/color of the pen.

Chilton Long Island pens were mostly numbered in this manner, one number denotes the size of the pen, and the other denotes the color. I spent some time in the past decoding the long island numbering system. It is definitely interesting.

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

yes, I can tell you what the 47 signifies...

the one number coorespondes to the size of the pen, denoting a 3 ring senior size pen, with a larger sized nib. a different number would signify a deco band oversize, but in this particular color, there was never a deco band oversize made, but geez, I could be wrong.

the other number cooresponds to the black and bronze material that the pen is made of/color of the pen.

Chilton Long Island pens were mostly numbered in this manner, one number denotes the size of the pen, and the other denotes the color. I spent some time in the past decoding the long island numbering system. It is definitely interesting.

rick do you have a link for your decoding? i'd love to read more about it!!!

i take this to mean that i can repost the EBAY link?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=STRK:MESELX:IT

BUMP

auction ending in a few hours. thanks for all that have helped with information about the pen. looking forward to adding to my collection!