The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Graf von Faber Castell Classic Anello Wood

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 pmrogers

pmrogers

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 22:35

So I ended up with this pen because my other half wouldn't share the Pen of the Year 2006, and while I would dearly love to add an 09 PotY to our collection it wasn't in budget right now. I was hoping the Anello Wood would have a similarly amazing build quality and nib, and it didn't disappoint on either front.

First Impression
Wow. For 1/5th the price, the Anello Wood matched every aspect of the PotY except the size. The presentation case is very nicely finished, and has room for two siblings!

Appearance
9/10
I can't believe this is a <$1,000 pen. The tactile richness of the ebony wood plus the flawless finish of the sterling and nib add up to a much more impressive presence that I've seen in other similar-cost pens.

Nib
10/10. Double wow. My photography skills aren't up to the challenge, but let me say that this is smoother than any F nib in our collection, which includes David Oscarson, several Vistonti LE. a vintage MB 146, and many other stupendous writers. This nib is the equal to, or superior to any pen in our collection. It is glass-smooth under light pressure, and retains its composure under medium and high pressure (unlike the Parker, MB, Jinhao, Duke, Sailor, or Namik pens in our collection).

Filling System
7/10. Yawn. A completely generic converter. It works flawlessly, but most definitely is not a distinctive part of this pen.

Cost and Value
9/10. Yes, it is an expensive pen, but compared to other <$500 pens it is a standout value.

http://www.paulandtr...17_56.sized.jpg

Size comparison. Next to MB 146, capped:

Next to MB 146, posted:

MB 146 end cap comparison:

Edited by pmrogers, 03 August 2009 - 04:10.

Sponsored Content

#2 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 22:58

I'm sure these have Pelikan nibs. Graf are one of my favourites. I find them classy, and their packaging leaves a lot of others cold.
Thanks

#3 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 22:59

Thank you for this review -- a great-looking pen!

#4 ssmui

ssmui

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:03

Filling System
7/10. Yawn. A completely generic piston filler. It works flawlessly, but most definitely is not a distinctive part of this pen.

Is this a piston filler , I thought it has a cartridge converter !? No ??? hmm1.gif hmm1.gif

#5 trent

trent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:12

One thing that I dislike a bit, though, about these otherwise beautiful pens from Graf von Faber Castell is that plastic black ring at the end of the section. It seems somehow cheap for such expensive pens. What is it for? Could a finer material have been used?

And yes, I think that these are all cartridge/ converter fillers.

#6 Jjota

Jjota

everybody's Sumgai

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:26

QUOTE (ssmui @ Aug 2 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Filling System
7/10. Yawn. A completely generic piston filler. It works flawlessly, but most definitely is not a distinctive part of this pen.

Is this a piston filler , I thought it has a cartridge converter !? No ??? hmm1.gif hmm1.gif

Yeah, unfortunately it's a cartridge / convertor. If this pen were a true piston filler....it would be un-believable notworthy1.gif

It's kinda like buying a quartz Patek Phillipe. Sure it's the finest quartz watch in the world, but what's the point? The weird thing about Graf is that their PoTY do have integral pistons....go figure

Edited by Jason Oliver, 03 August 2009 - 02:36.

#7 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• 1,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:45

QUOTE (Jason Oliver @ Aug 3 2009, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Filling System

Yeah, unfortunately it's a cartridge / convertor. If this pen were a true piston filler....it would be un-believable notworthy1.gif

It's kinda like buying a quartz Patek Phillipe. Sure it's the finest quartz watch in the world, but what's the point? The weird thing about Graf is that their PoTY do have integral pistons....go figure

The only worthy filling system for this pen is the snorkel system. Piston barely scores any points over the cartridge.
A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#8 pmrogers

pmrogers

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:07

Oops, complete brain spasm/typo. You guys are right, of course; it is a converter not a piston. I wasn't fair in saying it's entirely generic, though, as it does at least have Faber Castell stamped on the converter, but it is far from impressive quality. Not as nice as any of the Visconti converters, for example.

#9 oberon

oberon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 16:42

An outstanding pen , thanx for the review. I have always wanted a FC POY but has been out of my budget. This one could perchance make it on my list.
Oberon

#10 Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 16:55

Five hundred dollars? Five hundred dollars? Five hundred dollars?

When my budget allows, I'm definitely going to consider buying this pen.
The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

#11 tres

tres

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 17:18

QUOTE (Pfhorrest @ Aug 3 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Five hundred dollars? Five hundred dollars? Five hundred dollars?

When my budget allows, I'm definitely going to consider buying this pen.

Since this pen was a Birthday gift for Paul, I don't want to post the price but if anyone is interested pm me and I'll let you know what I paid and where. I got a much better deal than he thinks (or thought until this post headsmack.gif )

#12 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2009 - 17:31

I have had my eyes on that pen for a while... even tried it out at Paradise Pen... I will be in Minneapolis in three weeks. Maybe I will have to stop by the Mall of America and pick one up.

Matt

#13 pashafendy

pashafendy

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:32

Thanks for the review that just i look for.. and the fp in my dreams :puddle:
Could you please show some of writing samples in here?

#14 pmrogers

pmrogers

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 00:54

A few follow ups:

Regarding the nib, I don't think this is a Pelikan nib, or if it is, it is tweaked to a much better performance level than any of our Pelikans (800, 400, 200, Ductus). Graf touts in their marketing literature that all nibs are "run in" by hand in a 100 step process. Whether in-house or a tweaked 3rd party, whatever they do, it results in a nib that is the equal of any in our collection excepting possibly the David Oscarson. The Oscarson doesn't write any better but it does "sing" when writing which is a extremely cool effect.

trent, good point regarding the plastic bit between the section and nib. This is one respect in which the finish quality of the Anello Wood doesn't match up to the PotY series. I will say that this is something that I didn't notice until taking the macro shots.

Writing characteristics: I should have mentioned in the initial review that this pen lays down an extremely broad line relative to its label. This "fine" nib is the widest of all our fine nibs and at least as wide as any of the European or American medium nibs in our collection.

My handwriting is so embarrassingly bad that I almost decided to pretend I hadn't seen your request, but since you request, here is a comparison shot on Staples bagasse paper compared with the medium nibs of our MB 146 and Namiki Custom Impressions.
Posted Image

-Paul

#15 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:10

Your pen is similar to my Guilloche, and I'm back to using it as my everydayer. It's a much neglected brand I think. There is one thing that I might add though. It's not fair to compare these with the P o t year. That would be like comparing my Montegrappa Miya with my Extra. The pen is bigger, the nibs are bigger. They're a different beast. If you mean overall that you get a great pen without having to go P o the year then I agree.
Thanks

#16 pashafendy

pashafendy

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:25

My handwriting is so embarrassingly bad that I almost decided to pretend I hadn't seen your request, but since you request, here is a comparison shot on Staples bagasse paper compared with the medium nibs of our MB 146 and Namiki Custom Impressions.
Posted Image

-Paul

Thanks, i was really in curious about how writes gvfc nibs because i didnt see any sample on net.
By the way if you see my hand writing be sure that you'll proud for your handwriting :)
In my opinion, graf looks better than 146 on this paper and tough being a "f" nib! Now i like this pen too much.
In the other hand i dont beleive in gvfc nibs are pelikan's nibs. Such a rubbish idea!
To say that like bmw is mercedes B)

#17 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 23:40

I'm sure these have Pelikan nibs. Graf are one of my favourites. I find them classy, and their packaging leaves a lot of others cold.
Thanks

You mean a Bock nib? They make the nibs for most fountain pen companies out there, including Pelikan. Faber Castell is also probably on that list. Bock makes their nibs to manufacturer's specs, so a Bock nib for one company is often different than the kind they make for another.

Great review, pmrogers, those are some beautiful pictures of a pen we don't see very many photographs of!

Edited by Tsujigiri, 19 August 2009 - 23:42.

#18 italiansallion

italiansallion

No Doubt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:51

is the converter screw in style or just a snap in?

#19 pmrogers

pmrogers

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 15:06

is the converter screw in style or just a snap in?

Just a snap-in. If I could still edit my original post I would change the filling system score to a 4/10. I was letting a halo effect from the rest of the pen's goodness skew my scoring.

The converter snaps in, the body is plastic, and the plunger end isn't threaded either so you can't easily disassemble the converter for thorough cleaning. Even our $8 Jinhao at least has a glass body for the converter. Fortunately, the Graf converter performs its function perfectly and as long as it's out of sight the pens looks and performs like a much more expensive piece. If they had to cut corners somewhere I suppose this was the best place.

-Paul

Edited by pmrogers, 21 August 2009 - 15:07.

#20 usacowboybiker

usacowboybiker

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 20:51

Hello All,

I do not usually participate in these, but thought I would throw in my part on this one...

I also have the GvFC Anello Wood - I have been using it every day, carrying it in my pocket every day, for the last 9 months. It is a beautiful pen (I would not have kept it in my pocket so long if it was not). Here are my specific thoughts:

The F nib was way too broad and I had to have it "benderized" to bring it to something reasonably close to a real "F" - even with that done, it is, frankly, still too broad for my personal likes, but it is at least close.

The pen is wood and platinum - not silver. And I am a fan of sterling and not platinum, so I special-ordered the sterling cap and grip to replace the platinum that came with the pen.

The converter has long gone to converter heaven - I am on my third or fourth cheap generic plastic replacement. Yes, the converter was nothing to brag about, but a converter is a converter and any will do - it holds the ink and does nothing more (I know - such a shameful way to refer to the heart of the pen, but really, my cheap converter replacements have always done the job and have never given me any problem or concern).

With these changes the pen is a fine writer and has a soft warm touch and feel. It has good weight (not so heavy as a solid metal pen and not so light as a "plastic") and with fine balance (not posted - I am not a "poster").

OK - ready to hear about the problems? This is small and huge, all at the same time. The wood rings began to slip and rotate around the center platinum axle after some time. Who cares, except that, because the cap is a screw-on, I had to find a non-slipping wooden ring to grip to make the twisting of the screw-on cap successful. After a while, all of the rings were spinning like windmills and I had to start gripping the metal end of the pen. It is easy to do and not a big deal, really, but it is an annoyance to endure on an otherwise stand-out star. And it bugs me. I have thought about using some soaking glue or other trick to secure the rings to the inner axle, and I am sure that there must be an adequately simple answer to solve the problem, but I have found it easier recently to just retire the pen and use my heavier GvFC all sterling instead. I think that decision betrays some inner feeling about my sick Annelo. Anyway, it is the reason that, after 9 months of a happy daily relationship, I am ending it in favor of another who attracts me less.

One of these days I must fix those rings...

Richard

Sponsored Content

|